• This topic has 66 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Snowsocks – user experiences ?
  • iainc

A pair of these just arrived for me today 🙂 Given that its meant to be snowcity here in Glasgow area later I may be trying them out !

So how good are they ? vids and reviews seem great, although I appreciate that if they go on tarmac they will be shredded in no time.

Given that I have a 520d Tourer they can only be a benefit (if I put them on the back wheels !)

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you are in conditions that require grip on the driving wheels surely you need grip on the steering wheels or you’ll just plow into the first thing ahead of you?

Woody
    Free Member

They get you going (sometimes) so I would say much better than nothing but a total pain in the backside otherwise.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’ve got them for all the cars in the family – as an emergency measure. A few years ago when the snow was really bad I had an Audi A6 auto with low profile tyres that slid all over the place. I only tested a set out last year for a short distance & they seemed pretty good. The YouTube vids etc showing cars even towing others with snow socks on are pretty impressive…… I’ve just got a set for my VW T5 camper!

NZCol

^ theres a guy sells a complete set, new, of wheels for Californias with snow tyres for 450 quid. I got a set and they are brilliant.

cp

A pair of these just arrived for me today

Given that I have a 520d Tourer

I’d get another pair sharpish. With one pair you can either go or stop/steer.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Get chains instead. They give better grip and have less of a tendency to fly off while you drive.

spooky_b329

Chains are for snow covered roads. Snow socks are for getting out of the car park/up the odd hill.

peterfile
    Free Member

iain, i’m also in glasgow and won’t have any bother in the snow unless it’s really bad. If you end up stuck for a way of getting home give me a shout (genuine offer!)

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Pretty sure chains will do that too Spooky…

dthom3uk

I’ve used snow socks for a couple of years. They are impressive. The last time we had snowmaggeddon I managed to overtake a number of stranded cars on the big hill near my house.

They’ll get you out of trouble and are pretty easy to get on and off once you reach a clear road.

superhooper

Used them for the first time between XMas and New Year to drive back from the Alps. Started off on 30cm of fresh snow and later on compacted icy snow. This was on an automatic BMW m135i with summer low profile tyres (probably the worst possible combination for snow). All I can say is they worked fantastically. I had a set of chains with me but didn’t bother with them. Only issue I had was restarting on a off camber hill the front end was drifting. I would definitely consider a set for the front as well.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yep I used them a few years ago in deep snow and they were fantastic.

I have a 2.2l turbo diesel estate with low profile tyres and its appalling in the snow

You’ll remember snowmaggedon of 2010 Iain when we got about 10million cm of snow in a couple of hours and the city ground to a halt?

We were coming out of Glasgow in the midst of the chaos going up the M77. Got to the hill after Darnley and it was complete carnage, cars, trucks scattered all over the road, just abandoned in any and every lane. I’d fitted the auto socks in town, hit that hill and we just pulled up it no problem, not a single slip.

Got to the GSO, saw the chaos on the motorway so I went the a77 south instead, again thick snow, auto socks just kept on gripping.

My wife got stuck in the lane at work in town last week, she managed to park but couldn’t get out due to the snow freezing, autosocks on and she was away.

I can’t see steering being an issue to be honest as you’ll be taking it easy anyway.

a total pain in the backside otherwise

Why’s that? They take about 30 seconds to fit/remove.

richmtb

I have some recent experience of them.

A couple of Fridays ago we had some pretty decent snowfall. I was shopping and when I left the supermarket there was 2 inches of lying snow on all the roads.

I set off in my car (SEAT Leon FR, so FWD but summer tyres) carefully and was making okay progress in the snow but it wasn’t easy going by any means. I was pulling away from each stop in 2nd and getting into high gears as early as I could to limit wheel spin but I had to be really careful. ABS triggered if I looked at the brake pedal (slowing down was mainly engine braking).

I got to bottom of the road leading up to my housing estate and it was carnage. This isn’t a particularly steep hill but not much was getting up it. A big rear wheel drive Transit was stuck, A BMW was reversing back down other people were slithering up in first gear doing a good job of polishing the road for everyone else following them. Basically it was a mess.

I might have got up it but as I was going to have to wait for everyone else to sort themselves out I though sod it I’ll put my snow socks on.

First time putting them on, its a bit of a faff, its a bit like getting a bike tyre on a rim and you need to move the car half a wheel length to get the last bit on. Took about 5 minutes for both wheels.

The car was transformed. No wheelspin in first pulling away, no light floaty steering no ABS triggering from moderate braking. Rather than carefully slithering passed all the other carnage on the hill I could just drive on as normal almost as if the snow wasn’t there. After I got home I went back out and picked up my mum from her work which is up a reasonably steep hill and again had no issues with traction, other cars just weren’t attempting that road.

Snow socks will give you better grip on lying snow than winter tyres.

A couple of caveats though. On a FWD car you only need 2, but you have to remember you have limited grip on your rear tyres, the front end might feel totally planted but the back end will remind you its got no grip if you corner a bit quickly

They won’t last long on a bare tarmac (short sections are okay if you keep your speed down they are only meant to be used up to 30mph anyway even on snow)

Overall highly recommended for dealing with lying snow on the the roads, particularly if you have to deal with hills, although obviously not as useful in other conditions as proper winter tyres.

Cost me £70 for a pair from Halfords

blurty

I had them on my last car, a 520d Touring, 245 tyres. They were amazing for getting you out of trouble, but wore quickly when driven on tarmac – as you’d expect. I tackled some steep snowed up hills & they got me to the top.

They were OK to fit, but absolute gits to get off though.

I never had any for the front & that didn’t seem to be a problem

peterfile
    Free Member

Snow socks will give you better grip on lying snow than winter tyres.

No they don’t. Should be about the same, if that.

EDIT: Watch this

philjunior
    Free Member

Have had them for a while and only given them a quick trial on some snowy side streets – worked surprisingly well (compared with normal tyres), easy to fit/remove.

As others have said watch out for the understeer though. Don’t really think 4 are any more necessary for RWD than FWD especially as you only really want to be using them to get out of trouble.

Gary_M
    Free Member

No they don’t. Should be about the same, if that.

I presume that test uses a brand new set of winter tyres. Auto socks also work better when fitted properly.

peterfile
    Free Member

Presumably a brand new set of autosocks too, particularly as they mention that wear was noticeable after just a few miles 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

wear was noticeable after just a few miles

Used mine on a 20 mile journey, they work as well now as they did on their first use. They look used but they’re not worn the way a winter tyre tread gets worn whilst not being driven on snow.

Would have been good to see how winter tyres compared on ice against the others – auto socks grip on polished hard packed snow too.

peterfile
    Free Member

Here’s a Which test of 9 pairs.

We’ve carried out a full test on snow socks from nine different brands. All performed better than summer tyres on snow and icy roads, but none was quite as good as winter tyres.

Gary_M
    Free Member

okay, your winter tyres win. 🙄

Best go out and spend £500 Iain instead of £60 for the 2 days a year you really really need winter tyres.

mintimperial

I’ve had my snowsocks for 5-6 years now, they’re great. I live in the middle of the Pennines and usually need them once or twice a year. There’s a bit of wear on them but they’re still excellent. They are only supposed to be used at low speed, you can’t just chuck the car around with impunity, and once you get onto clear tarmac you should take them straight off. They are much, much easier and less messy to put on than chains once you know how, I can do mine in about a minute (I have skinny tyres though). I have chains too, but never use them now, socks are loads better for what we get round here.

If you only run two of them on a RWD car, you’re not likely to get the best out of them, and you will probably end up thinking they’re crap.

peterfile
    Free Member

haha, that wasn’t the point I was making Gary! 🙂 Just that socks aren’t better on snow than winter tyres.

I suspect the reasons for buying either are actually quite different. Those buying winter tyres are looking to improve grip in all conditions throughout winter. Those buying socks are happy with the level of grip they generally get in winter and just want a back up for when that’s not enough (ie those few days of heavier snow).

Shred
    Free Member

A few years ago I watched a BMW try take a turn out of a side street on packed down show when he only had rear snow socks.
    It took him about 10 attempts to turn as he could drive forward and backwards, but the front wheels did absolutely nothing.

klumpy
    Free Member

I used them on my old RWD Transit, rear wheels only. I used them to ‘just get to the main road’, or do a few miles round the unploughed part of town. They work brilliantly, the van steered fine, and they’re easy to fit and pull off again.

iainc

Gary – did you have them on all 4 tyres ? I went up the A77 that day at about 3pm in a slithering mess, probs a few hrs before you, and then got properly stuck in EK (3 series tourer at that stage)

Peter – many thanks for the offer 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Best go out and spend £500 Iain instead of £60 for the 2 days a year you really really need winter tyres.

you also need an estate or something big enough to carry the winter wheels/tyres so you can get them out and fit them for that unexpected snowfall that catches you out…

peterfile
    Free Member

you also need an estate or something big enough to carry the winter wheels/tyres so you can get them out and fit them for that unexpected snowfall that catches you out…

iainc

^^^^ It’s a company car, so winter tyres etc are not an option

scotroutes

I expect it will actually snow some time in winter and since that’s also the season that we get temperatures below 7C that’s never really a surprise to me either. What’s more, if the temperature, surprisingly, gets above 7C, the winter tyres still work so I don’t have to carry summer tyres around with me either.

cp

but they’re not worn the way a winter tyre tread gets worn whilst not being driven on snow.

What, not worn at all? My winters (Dunlop Wintersport 4D) wear better throughout winter than my summers (Michelin Premacy) do. There’s more to winter tyres than snow.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Amazing. snowed in our village years ago. impossible to drive on the snow in my van without them

[video]http://vimeo.com/18098259[/video]

Northwind

peterfile – Member

I suspect the reasons for buying either are actually quite different. Those buying winter tyres are looking to improve grip in all conditions throughout winter. Those buying socks are happy with the level of grip they generally get in winter and just want a back up for when that’s not enough (ie those few days of heavier snow).

I have reported your reasonable and sensible post to the mods.

But yeah, exactly right I think. The only thing is that a lot of people buying socks probably are doing the “winter tyres are only good for 2 days a year” thing so maybe basing the decision on a wrong assumption.

mogrim

The only thing is that a lot of people buying socks probably are doing the “winter tyres are only good for 2 days a year” thing so maybe basing the decision on a wrong assumption.

Are winter tyres particularly advantageous in cold, dry weather?

I’ve got a pair of snow socks sitting in the boot of my car, just in case – but here in Madrid we get long periods of freezing cold, but no snow/rain. Given I’ve got a Scenic MPV, and drive well within my limits… is there any point to getting winter tyres?

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

They look used but they’re not worn the way a winter tyre tread gets worn whilst not being driven on snow.

ftfy

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Having driven a lot on snow (over 800 miles last year) using both chains and premium brand winter tyres, there is only one option for driving in winter and that is winter tyres.
    Having descended most days in one week from Avoriaz to Morzine and seen several cars trying to use snow boots I would say DONT, at least 3 cars I overtook were whipping their wings into polished metal. They are for use in an emergency for short distances at slow speeds.

peterfile
    Free Member

Nope, but cold and dry days are fewer in number to cold and wet days in winter (for a lot of us anyway!). Winter tyres in cold and dry weather are at a lesser disatavantage compared to summer tyres in cold and wet weather.

I know they’re not right for everyone, I wouldnt buy them if I was just doing the school run/motorway commute in the south of England, or was watching the pennies etc

Northwind

mogrim – Member

I’ve got a pair of snow socks sitting in the boot of my car, just in case – but here in Madrid we get long periods of freezing cold, but no snow/rain. Given I’ve got a Scenic MPV, and drive well within my limits… is there any point to getting winter tyres?

They are better but not massively- though depends on your tyres, some summer tyres can lose a lot more grip as temps drop. I don’t know if I’d bother, if I was you, as long as I had sensible tyres on the car. I was happy using my snowproxes all year last year but that’s probably helped by living in Scotland not Spain…

Having said that, the times I’ve been most glad of mine have been less about driving within my limits and more about other people’s, I’d probably have hit the fanny that pulled out in front of me in the snow a couple of weeks back.

cp

Not so obviously better, though they probably wear better.

In cold wet weather (and in particular that perma-damp grime you get with salted roads) they are in a different league.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Snowsocks – user experiences ?’ is closed to new replies.