Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Snowdon
  • mrh86

Sorry, i know this was probably answered not so long ago, but I can't find the post.

Hoping to cycle up snowdon next weekend, if the weather is reasonable everyone think it will be ok?

Also, whats the better descent: llanberis or ranger path? Will be going up via llanberis path.

Cheers

Andyhilton
    Free Member

up llanberis, down ranger. It's raining all week but should be ok for next weekend. Start early so there are less red socks about.

Ti29er
    Free Member

search other posts on this site "snowdon"?

mrh86

Andy – Cheers

Ti29er – Would never have thought of that myself, definitely nothing to do with the fact that the first result is from 1 year ago

goog
    Free Member

if you cant figure out how to do a search on the forum do you think its a wise move to go up Snowdon ?

zokes
    Free Member

goog – Member

if you cant figure out how to do a search on the forum do you think its a wise move to go up Snowdon ?

If you can't think of anything constructive to say, is it wise to post on a thread?

Llanberis path is a hoot, but best done when it's quiet to avoid ten-walker bowling. Ranger is more techy, but don't go too far and miss the R turn back up over and down Telegraph valley to Llanberis. I think it's May 1st the voluntary ban comes into effect between 10am and 5pm, so plenty of time yet for daytime riding, although it will be busy if the weather's nice.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Is "the right turn" a bridleway / is it marked / is it really easy to miss etc??

zokes
    Free Member

It is a bridleway, but you'd be hard pressed to ride it up! I can't remember how visible it is. If you get to some hairpins, you've missed it…

lowey

Get a 1:25000 map and take note of how many walls you have passed. It is dead easy to miss the turn. Like Zokes says, if you get to the zig zags above the ranger station then you have gone too far.

However, the zig zags DO make an excellent bit of downhill themselves, not sure they are worth the push back up though.

slowrider
    Free Member

what zokes said, its easy to miss on the way past with a bit of speed, its not too far to walk abck up from the switchbacks and its easier to spot at slow speed (duh).

rangers gets my vote any day, give yourself time to session anything you dont clean first go, its over before you know it otherwise.

heading there in 3 weeks myself, cant wait!

IamSam
    Free Member

Mr mills, rode this route at the weekend.

Its a bridle way it is marked….just there a re two planks of wood in the ground and a small marker post and is really easy to miss. it was about 100-200 meters after the second gate at the bottom of the massive techy ranger decent half way down the section with all the slate water bars.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Its a bridle way it is marked….just there a re two planks of wood in the ground and a small marker post and is really easy to miss. it was about 100-200 meters after the second gate at the bottom of the massive techy ranger decent half way down the section with all the slate water bars.

Great stuff – that's just what I needed. Thanks.

By the way is the Ranger's path marked as such from the summit? If not, any tips on how to make sure we start off in the right direction?

IamSam
    Free Member

no probs,

I went flying past it on Saturday and then was followed by the rest of the group.

Rangers starts on the opposite side of the railway from the summit cairn staircase thingy. you can make out the trail easily on the ground, be warned though it was busy this weekend so could be very busy next.

enjoy

lowey

Start of ranger path is opposite a standing stone. You'll know when you see it.

GavinB

This was us having a little ride around a year or two back, before riding Snowdon the next morning. The signpost with the two 'red socks' reading in great detail is the one you do not want to miss!

As for the start to the Ranger Path, head down from the summit following the main track until you come to the large cairn which marks the top of the Pyg Track. Very shortly after this you need to head down to the railway and across it to descend NNW, then W on the Ranger Path.

Sorry – linky not working properly to Streetmap

mrh86

Cheers for the advice guys. I'm at home from uni for easter, and snowdon is only 45 mins drive away. Sounds like it should be good fun. Hope the weather is good.

postierich
    Free Member

Ride up early morning its worth it!

stevemakin

Avoid the Easter weekend if poss, it'll be heaving with families, even if you get up to the top by 8 it'll still be full of walkers, and thats on both the Llanberis route and the Rangers Path

Voluntary ban starts May 1st but be sensible about the first bank holiday weekend of the year 🙂

mrh86

Postierich: That pic is amazing! what time did you set off at then?

Steve makin: hmmm, I've heard that it gets very busy! It's the only weekend that I'm home, and the guy I'm planning on going with works. Unfortunately, this might be the last chance of doing it for me before the voluntary ban kicks in. Might have to consider a very early start!

stevemakin

it'll be doable but I doubt you'll get a clean run down, either way its a good ride and you'll get a sense of achievement when you stand on the top 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

weather here

mrh – this was covered in some detail a couple of weeks ago, just in case you need more info that'll help your / any search.

Don't ride this w/end after maybe 10am as it'll be absolutely heaving with the flipflop-wellie brigade plus the ban starts on Thursday.

Outlook for Thursday
    Perhaps a little brighter but still with occasional wintry showers and occasional hill fog. Further accumulations of snow likely over the higher ground. Significant wind chill likely in strong or gale force westerly winds.

Outlook for Friday
    Showers or longer spells of rain and occasional hill fog. Some sleet or wet snow still possible on the highest ground. Strong southerly or southwesterly winds with a continuing risk of gales.

Outlook for Saturday
    Sunny intervals and occasional showers, some still wintry on high ground. Occasional hill fog. Continuing risk of gales.

stevemakin

er, is it April 1st when the ban starts ?, actually that does make more sense, sorry for the bum steer mrh

jimster
    Free Member

May 1st to 30th September.

Details here

pedalhead
    Free Member

I took a helmet cam vid of my ride up & down Snowdon a few years ago…

LINKY

I decided to come down Llanberis due to poor visibility. It was still good fun, but you can clearly see how many Death Race 2000 points you could score if the mood took you.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon’ is closed to new replies.