Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Snapping Chains…?
  • will
    Free Member

Well today both me and my friend snapped our chains… By snapped i mean where the rivet fits into the hole, it just snapped. I have never done this before.

I snapped mine once, and he did it twice. Just put a new chain, rear mech on friends bike before the ride, so not really sure what the problem could be?

Mine probably needs a chain as it hasn’t had a new one since new a year ago 🙄

Any ideas?

nickc

Shit happens?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Chains snap?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

depends on the brand I’ve found. I’ve never snapped a shimano chain but in a short time I snapped two sram ones (one on the first ride), shortly after they moved their production facilities.

Generally use shimano or rohloff now, both with sram powerlinks, and carry a sram spare (cos I have one)

MrNutt
    Free Member

happened to me with a 5mth old SRAM chain, filled it full of powerlinks and ran it for another 6mths, have a new pimpy SRAM chain now, has a slightly sticky link but I’ve greased the bugger and its starting to ease up, the slippy ghost shifting thing was starting to get a tad boring but I guess thats the risk you take when buying subaqua stock 😀

nickc

You carry a spare chain? wow

billyboulders
    Free Member

Probably teaching you to suck eggs here but, When you get your new one save the spare bit when you cut it for length and put it in your camelbak (along with a chain tool). Saves a walk home.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Nick, yup, and it’s saved two rides so far – one for me, one for a friend.

will
    Free Member

We managed to carry on, but just with an ever increasing smaller chain 🙄 When i got home i realised i have a length of chain attatched to my house key lol.

I guess it must be a weak link? or links?

billyboulders
    Free Member

I guess it must be a weak link? or links?

Possibly, rivets not seated properly when joined maybe? Glad it got you home anyway. You’ll probably look back on it as one of your best rides. Triumph over adversity etc!

will
    Free Member

billyboulders – Member

Possibly, rivets not seated properly when joined maybe? Glad it got you home anyway. You’ll probably look back on it as one of your best rides. Triumph over adversity etc!

Maybe lol… although the downhills did make up for it, they were too much fun, even though i ride them all the time.

muddy_fox
    Free Member

what chain is it and when you fitted it first what did you use to link it?

If its a shimano chain and you didnt use the proper linking bit (shimano chain connector pin) it will snap indefinitely, you can’t just use a chain tool to push two separate bits together using a standard connector.

If you used a new SRAM chain did you use the powerlink?

will
    Free Member

Not a clue on my bike…assembled in factory lol.

Mates bike, we fitted a new Sram one, with the connecting plate…

billyboulders
    Free Member

you can’t just use a chain tool to push two separate bits together using a standard connector.

You can IME, it doesn’t always work though!(it is best to use the pin that costs more than if it was made of pure platinum so he is right)

Crag
    Free Member

Who can be ar$ed with the Shimano connecting pins??

Powerlinks are so much easier and quicker.

Jamie
    Free Member

#
    Crag – Member

Who can be ar$ed with the Shimano connecting pins??

Powerlinks are so much easier and quicker.
    Posted 3 minutes ago #

Amen brother.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Snapping Chains…?’ is closed to new replies.