Viewing 19 posts - 161 through 179 (of 179 total)
  • Smoking IS a pretty disgusting habit….
  • binners

Just drink shedloads of red wine*

* I am not a doctor

dday

Ok, officially one full seven day week of not smoking.

I’m a (was?) a secret smoker, I had my routines, but hated smoking in front of people, even people that smoked too. Never smoked in front of my wife or kids (my wife stopped 15 years ago). My wife has no idea as to the extent of my habit. I could manage the family holidays, but given half a chance… Of course my bike was a great excuse to smoke. Head out for a ride, find a nice spot on the side of a hill, have a couple. Have a few before meeting mates out for a ride. I have at least 4 hiding places for cigs around the shed and car. I travel a fair amount for work, so that’s an easy one right? I recon about 10 – 15 a day habit, more if traveling.

Frustrating thing is, because I hid my habit pretty well, I can’t easily share the success to date.

I thought today would be tougher than it was. But I’m wary. Anyway – I read somewhere that quitting is a journey, not an event. I’m off to sign up for a bunch of enduros for this year!

molgrips
    Free Member

I think if you did share you’d get more support, maybe?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I quit (cold turkey) about 11 years ago.

I used to spark the odd one up when on the lash, don’t even do that any more.

Smokers stink too. Hate the smell.

mrsfry
    Free Member

@DDay You can’t be a secret smoker as it makes you smell, no matter how many mints you eat.

nealglover
    Free Member

@DDay You can’t be a secret smoker as it makes you smell, no matter how many mints you eat

I was for 2 years. Partner had no idea.

She went **** mental when she eventually found out!

mrsfry
    Free Member

@DDay You can’t be a secret smoker as it makes you smell, no matter how many mints you eat

I was for 2 years. Partner had no idea.

She went **** mental when she eventually found out!

😯

maccruiskeen

I hate to be one of those STW pedants, but this thread keeps bobbing back up to the top of the forum so I have to say something…. surely its ‘Smoking so called IS a pretty disgusting habit’

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If anyone can come up with another habit, or type of behaviour, that the average middle class bed-wetter will piddle their pants in self-righteous indignation at

Picking your nose and eating the bogies.

Shopping at Gregs.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Isn’t eating your bogies just putting ones brains back inside your head

MrWoppit
    Free Member

One of the weird things I found when I gave up a 40-a-day habit (18th May 1991), was that I’d smoke fags in my dreams…

Nowadays it’s just back to the usual sex, flying and food stuff. 😉

mrsfry
    Free Member

15 1/2 Stones 👿 how the heck did that happen!
    The OP owes me new trousers and knickers and a JCB to carry my extra chin 🙁

Stedlocks
    Free Member

One of my big side effects of vaping is smelly farts! Especially when I change flavours of juice……proper good room clearing ones

hora
    Free Member

Things like smoking, legal highs or coke etc seem pretty cool when people are younger and older people lecturing seem old and past it but the latter have hindsight. They see the illness in friends, parents etc and death. Youths are protected from this knowledge/the full facts at the time arent they? (Maybe they shouldn’t).

A friend of mine (both parents smoked) lost his Mum first- a long and slow painful decline. The end wasn’t nice. The father the same way.

Hideous.

When your I’ll in bed you know you’ll get better. When your a lifelong smoker with your GP practice on speed dial, picking up prescriptions in a big bag weekly with this for a decade before you die? Who wants that?

So shouldnt this realisation drive you to quit?

I quit 16yrs ago on the spot because my GP told me my annual chest infections one day would become ever present.

**** that- I want to go out in a blaze of glory or peaceful/short illness not a husk, hacking away in fear and pain.

This is going to seem harsh- quit for ffs. ‘Oh I couldn’t help myself, needed another because I had a bad day at work’.

Are you that feeble of mind?

mrsfry
    Free Member

I never started smoking till i was in my mid-twentys (and that was just to stay warm). Yep Vape makes me toot 😳 (sorry Tesco, M&S, BP….just every shop i have been too)

cardo

2 weeks in to better breathing for me….
    Didn’t smoke much TBH usually with a beer or 2 after a bike ride which doesn’t make a lot of sense at all.
    All the guys and girls who I knew who tried vaping ended up back on tobacco again and it doesn’t appeal to me.
    I am reading Allen Carr’s Easy way to stop smoking (not the chatty ****t comedy bloke) which is excellent and highly recommended.
    Also entered some testing events this year so will need all the help I can get..
    Good luck everyone.

binners

Well I thought I’d resurrect this as I’ve not had a cig for 8 months now

However, now its stopped snowing and the suns actually out, I think I might start again, so I can keep nipping outside every hour like the bloke I’m presently working with 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah me too binbins – although sparking up in the beer garden, Stella in hand, alongside some tutters just downwind, while the young lad plays in the sand pit full of broken glass, fag butts and cat turds is even more of a pleasure. 😀

maccruiskeen

I think I might start again, so I can keep nipping outside every hour like the bloke I’m presently working with

Go and join him – take your party blower.

Viewing 19 posts - 161 through 179 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘Smoking IS a pretty disgusting habit….’ is closed to new replies.