Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 179 total)
  • Smoking IS a pretty disgusting habit….
  • binners

..the other problem is that you look like a complete bell-end.

I couldn’t care less, to be honest. I am absolutely determined that this is it, and I’m not starting smoking again. So if that helps me do that while I’m at my greatest risk – having a pint – then I really wouldn’t care if it was 3ft long, neon pink, with flashing lights on it*

You could just go out and ride the new bike? Or use the bike fund to buy the kit to actually go out riding in all weathers (and don’t stop off at the pub on the way home.

The problem is that the packing in smoking has coincided with me working somewhere that is just that bit too far to commute on the bike. And I’ve been banging the hours in, so haven’t been able to get out much in the evenings either. 🙁

However, this changes today when I finish this contract. The next one is a 7 mile each way commute which I intend to do at least 3 times a week, tagging in an extended off-road route home. That should shift some timber.

* This may be a gross exaggeration

LapSteel
    Free Member

.the other problem is that you look like a complete bell-end

My looking cool days are over anyway so that doesn’t bother me + It allows me to buy weird looking steel and glass devices from China and smoke them.

whats that equivalent in normal cigs? 10 a day? 20? less?

I have been told by the internet that a cigarette is around 18mg.

mikey3
    Free Member

18 mg in one cigarette?

nealglover
    Free Member

I have been told by the internet that a cigarette is around 18mg

That’s per PACK, not per cigarette.

And the amounts quoted on eliquids are per mg/ml

So if you smoke a pack of 18mg cigs/day you’ve had 18mg of nicotine.

To get the same from an ecig (using 6mg juice) you would need to get through 30ml/day. (No chance!)

LapSteel
    Free Member

I seem to get through between 3 – 5ml per day and have found a few of the £1 liquids quite pleasing which keeps the cost down

nealglover
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t trust the Chinese made cheapie liquids, and certainly not anything that costs £1

I use Decadent Vapours stuff and mix my own. Costs me £10/month (ish) and I use it a fair bit as I drive all day.

Its top quality UK manufactured stuff l, and as I mix it myself, I know exactly what is in it.

CountZero

Never started smoking myself, literally tried it once, (a mate up the road swiped some of his dad’s ciggies and we went up the woods and lit up), and just thought it was disgusting. My dad smoked, died from a heart attack when I was thirteen, cigs were probably the cause.
    One of my best mates used to smoke regularly, usually Galloise, and one day just thought, “right, that’s it, I’m stopping”, put the part smoked packet in a drawer in his desk, and as far as I know, it’s still where he left it; that must be twenty-odd years ago now.
    It’s perfectly possible if you have the strength of will to tell yourself to stop, so very best of luck to everyone who are trying to give up.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

There is literally nothing funny about vaping. 😯

LapSteel
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t trust the Chinese made cheapie liquids

Me neither but the ones I’m talking about are made in Stockport using UK nic etc

reggiegasket
    Free Member

it is amazing people still smoke

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/SWXbVsMkz1U[/video]

binners

Aye oop all. Seeing as its new year I thought I’d resurrect this thread, as I’m sure people will be thinking of packing in

I’ve not had a fag in over 4 months now, after having a crack with the e-cig as a result of this thread.

If I’m honest I’m sort of missing my annual grudging, obligatory half-arsed attempt to pack in smoking that the end of December ushers in.

Good luck to anyone giving up tonight. I seem to have managed it. And I’m the most weak willed human being ever to have walked the earth

molgrips
    Free Member

Good stuff binners. Faster on the bike yet?

binners

Still dog slow Molls. That’ll never change. I just don’t sound like a slowly deflating bagpipe on the climbs any more. Which is nice 😀

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Fair play to all who have a go at quitting, no matter how!
    I’ve been on ecigs for nearly two years, and am much better off, both financially and health wise….no doubt.

And it’s easy too……

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Good luck to anyone giving up tonight. I seem to have managed it. And I’m the most weak willed human being ever to have walked the earth

Contrary to popular believe, you don’t need a lot of will power to quit. Well done and may your example encourage others.
    I’m coming up to an anniversary in the next week. I haven’t a clue how many years it is now, I’m just happy that I’m not a slave to the weed.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I have been touched by Master Binners determination to become a smoke free cycling adonis. This thread is very encouring, knowing that it is actually possible to quit and stay quit.

I also want to become a smoke free cycling mucsle bound hottie. Midnight is the start of my smoke free life.

binners

Good luck with it mrsfry! Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can. I’m legendary for my total absence of will power

I’ve hit that point where not only do I not want a fag, when I smell people smoking I think its a bit minging. And I never ever thought I’d reach that point!

Cougar

Good call, I was only wondering this morning how people were getting on. Well done all.

CountZero

I also want to become a smoke free cycling mucsle bound hottie. Midnight is the start of my smoke free life.

Pictures, or it never happened! 😉

chip
    Free Member

I packed up 5 years ago after having Been a smoker for 25 years.
    Went from 40 a day to 0 overnight. I had tried and failed many times previously but on this occasion it was very easy.
    My brother gave up a couple of years ago but substituted his cigs with e cigs and after 2 years is still vaping.

I am glad I swerved the whole vaping thing as although I understand they are much healthier I am glad I am not addicted to anything.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thank you Binners 🙂

@Cougar Look out your bedroom window….i’m on the ladder 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

I have just “stopped” smoking about a month plus now due to the depletion of my tobacco stock. Now down to 70grams (bought £72 from Deutschland for a lot of tobacco).

My reason is partly due to the stain caused by smoking that makes me look as if I have my native head hunters’ teeth on …

Instead I have taken up a bit of vaping but they taste disgusting to be honest but since the Vaper is made of nice stainless steel I thought I would give it a try to see how it goes … still taste shite tbh.

I think I am in the process of giving up. 😮

edit: I think I will give up vaping too coz it’s shite … then take up my hobby of knife collection.

MrOvershoot

Well I gave up over 15 years ago after 15 years of puffing away & TBH it was real easy.

Giving up drinking silly amounts, I can sense is going to be harder

JulianA
    Free Member

… But I’d really, really appreciate a cigar right now.

Haven’t smoked for a month – and six weeks before that – I might need one soon. Only trouble is I need a smoke when I’ve had a beer and then I can’t drive to get some cigars!

chewkw
    Free Member

I still have my Peterson pipe and tobacco so might give that a try … 😀

Alcopop
    Free Member

Stopped in August last year after 35 years on the fags bought an ecig to give it a go found it most effective, i’ve had one cigarette since stopping I was drunk one night and had one ..I felt sick haven’t touched em again since slowly weaning myself of the ecig which Im finding quite easy to do my aim is to quit it completely by the summer

mrsfry
    Free Member

1 tin of corned beef (out the tin, under the duvet)
    1 Packet of ginger nuts (on top of the duvet. I’m not a barbarian)
    4 Slices of Black Pudding (On the floor while googling important stuff)
    1 Tray of flap jacks (in the kitchen looking in the fridge for something to eat)

Don’t judge me. Least i’m not smoking

binners

Judge you?

if you look at the share price of crisp manufacturers, you’ll have noted a hefty spike since I packed in smoking. 😳

mrsfry
    Free Member

😆 😆 Thank you

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My dad is a lifelong smoker. 40 a day until 57, when he was diagnosed with COPD. He basically quit when he threw his cigs in the bin in the consultants office. He’s 60 now and hasn’t touched any since, but the damage is done. He gets out of breath very quickly. This Christmas, he was out of breath pressure washing the drive, and he’s on three different meds to assist with what he’s got left.

At the moment, he’s still capable of working, and as a not very active type, it’s not affected his lifestyle much so far, but I’m acutely aware that it will. He’s just a little bit worse every year.

I know I face the prospect of watching him become as weak as a kitten and fade to nothing in the most horrible way.

For his sake, when he’s no longer able to enjoy his life, I hope he dies suddenly from a massive heart attack instead of slipping away, slowly throttled, without his dignity, by the consequences of his own actions.

clipper247
    Free Member

I gave up fags about 2 1/2 years ago and started vaping instead. I started when I was about 14 or so and gave up when I was 42. I had been on 20+ a day for years, I dread to think how much I spent.

I do use the vape quite a lot, but am down to 6mg liquid now and when I started I was on 24mg, so quite pleased with that.

dday

On day 6 smoke free. Tomorrow will be testing as kids and wife go back to school / work. One day at a time right?

LoCo
    Free Member

Keep at it everyone that’s just stopped, smoked my last one in July and haven’t had any since then (patches)
    Has made a lot of difference although the Cornish pasty industry will have seen hefty spike in sales in the last 6 months 😳

binners

One day at a time indeed. It won’t be too many days before you stop thinking about it. In the meantime I find that eating lots of rubbish stuff has helped my body not go into toxic shock by being suddenly deprived of unhealthiness. Just keep one of these by your desk….

I’m not actually joking 😳

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Grrrr…. Not easy is it? :/

LoCo
    Free Member

No, not for the first couple of months, as much mental a physical cravings for personally.
    Ate so much food as it all tasted so much better.
    I reckon an extra stone to pedal up the hills is better resistance training so should loose the weight quicker than usual 😆 😳

Regarding the vaping things, I did try one but tasted grim and was pretty close to smoking, i.e putting something in your mouth and inhaling vapour so not breaking some part of the physical addiction (purely a personal thing)
    Also didn’t like the idea of inhaling chemicals (yes I do get the irony of this from a ex heavy ish smoker)

mrsfry
    Free Member

No one mentioned the nightmares 😯 and trouble getting off 🙁 and the leaking nose.

freddyg
    Free Member

@mrsfry I haven’t noticed the nightmares (vaping for nearly 2 years now). As for trouble getting off – I assume you’re referring to ‘sleep’? I’ve found that if I vape a lot throughout the evening, then it can be difficult nodding off to sleep. The leaking nose – yep, occupational hazard!

mrsfry
    Free Member

Thank you Freddyg. Picked up a vape kit so i will try that. I am tierd when i go to bed, but as soon as i am tucked in i am wide awake, running out of things to clean and rearange. Tried running, weights and situps to get me tierd and nothing works.

Quitting has turned me into a creature of the night

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘Smoking IS a pretty disgusting habit….’ is closed to new replies.