Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 194 total)
  • Slutwalking?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Rapists are more likely to rpe women who wear sexy clothes than they are women who wear frumpy clothes.

Is that a fact ? I thought rape was about power and control, and nothing to do with having sex with women who appear to want sex. What are the figures then ?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

maybe

but i didn’t day this

having sex with women who appear to want sex.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So you’re not sure about your comment “Nevertheless, that is the reality” then ?

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

“That would be relevant if that was all burglars took.”

They took your soul?

When I was burgled, I was insured and came out of it quite well,being insured new for old. Not that much bother at all and quite a result really.

on reflection, by orders of magnitude….I’d much rather be burgled than raped.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

OK you’ve edited now, so presumably you are sure about your claim.

But now you’re saying that women who are dressed in a “sexy” manner aren’t advertising the fact they want sex ?

So why might they expect to get raped then ?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I will not take the question of false rape away from this thread as it is incredibly relevant to this discussion. I wonder how many of these “slutwalkers” have consented, or at the very least not said no or indeed been in such a state that they couldnt say no, then woken up in the morning next to someone they wouldn’t have touched when sober then decide to cry rape.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When someone has a crime perpetrated against him or her, I might sometimes think that perhaps the person could have dome something to reduce the likelihood of the crime happening in the first place but it doesn’t make me feel any less sympathetic.

The idea of slutwalk is not to encourage women to dress provocatively, but to impact on some of society’s perceptions that somehow the manner of the woman’s clothing should somehow mitigate against her and in favour of the rapist. And women are right to fight against this “I put it to you your honour, that woman is sexy” attitude that pervades through the legal system.

grum
    Free Member

I’m sorry if it spoils my impeccable Guardianista credentials but I agree with the OP. I don’t see it as blaming the victim to suggest that wandering around a city centre at three am out of your mind wearing next to nothing probably isn’t sensible, it’s just a basic fact, and one that a lot of women seemingly need to hear more often.

I’m not sure what exactly is empowering about dressing like a prostitute anyway – it’s only pandering to a horrible lads mag cliche of what men apparently find attractive. There are under 18s nights round here and the outfits many of the girls wear on their way there are horrendous.

There’s no excuse for rape, ever, but that doesn’t mean common sense can be completely abandoned either. Now where did I put that Daily Mail…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But now you’re saying that women who are dressed in a “sexy” manner aren’t advertising the fact they want sex ?

That’s correct, do you disagree?

So why might they expect to get raped ?

Are you suggesting that if they were advertising that ‘fact’ that they then should expect to be raped?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jesus H. Christ…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

They took your soul?

Explain? Is someone’s soul taken when they are raped?

When I was burgled, I was insured and came out of it quite well,being insured new for old. Not that much bother at all and quite a result really.

well, good for you I wish you more such luck in the future

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piDvki6X6KQ[/video]

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Still good on the rhetoric Elf, but weak on the arguments

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not sure what exactly is empowering about dressing like a prostitute anyway – it’s only pandering to a horrible lads mag cliche of what men apparently find attractive. There are under 18s nights round here and the outfits many of the girls wear on their way there are horrendous.

Now where did I put that Daily Mail…

Are you sure it wasn’t a copy of the Daily Jihadist ?

grum
    Free Member

Are you sure it wasn’t a copy of the Daily Jihadist ?

Yet again, no actual argument or discussion just snide comments. :yawn:

You dont see any problem at all with 12 year old girls going out dressed in incredibly slutty outfits?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

That’s correct, do you disagree?

So why might they expect to get raped ?

Are you suggesting that if they were advertising that ‘fact’ that they then should expect to be raped?

Well I know what I’m saying. But you don’t seem to know what you’re saying……you appear to have changed your position from one page to the next.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

could you answer the questions?

I would appreciate it if you would point out where you think i have changed my position and I’ll try to clarify for you.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yet again, no actual argument or discussion just snide comments. :yawn:

Oh I see, you can make a joke along the lines of “Now where did I put that Daily Mail”, but God forbid if anyone says one back.

Well at least I understand the rules now….even if they stand logic on its head.

ditch_jockey

It’s really the “why make yourself vulnerable” question that intrigues me. I gave a bit of time over a couple of years volunteering for a charity that ran a ‘safe space’ for people in Glasgow city centre at the weekends. A lot of it was good craic, chatting with folk who were a bit bevies and needed help getting taxis and so on, had minor injuries or just needed a bit of TLC. On a couple of occasions we found ourselves intervening to assist women who were drunk and/or drugged and who were clearly being lined up as victims by their male ‘companion’ – one of the males was a particularly malevolent tosser, who displayed a horrific attitude towards the women on the team as well as his potential victim. After we had gotteher safely away from him, i actually found myself feeling physically sick at the thought of what she might have been subjected to if we hadn’t been around. The notion that she somehow merited what he was likely planning for her is totally abhorrent, irrespective of how she was dressed or how much alcohol she’d consumed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not sure what exactly is empowering about dressing like a prostitute anyway

It’s not about “empowering” women to dress like prostitutes. It’s about breaking the cycle of thought that leads to society somehow feeling that a rapist deserves less punishment for raping a scantily clad “slut” than for a primly dressed spinster.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

“Explain? Is someone’s soul taken when they are raped?”

I was just talking about burglary there………not rape.

And as for the prospect of being burgled again. I don’t skimp on insurance so expect the same will happen next time if it does again.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

could you answer the questions?

Nah, I’m outta here like Elfin…….I can’t be arsed with this bollox.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

yup, thought so.

All hot air

Funny how some folks seem to think that their opinions are unimpeachable.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s really the “why make yourself vulnerable” question that intrigues me.

And again…now, I’m not arguing but I’ll hang around for a bit…though I feel I might be following ernie and elfin out of the room…nobody’s telling women to make themselves vulnerable. But the fact that she’s made herself vulnerable or appear “more up for it” should never count in favour of anyone who chooses to use that vulnerability to assault her.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The notion that she somehow merited what he was likely planning for her is totally abhorrent, irrespective of how she was dressed or how much alcohol she’d consumed.

no one is suggesting that what they are suggesting is that dressing like that and having consumed that amount of alcohol may have affected her chances of the incident.
    Whether we think this is right or wrong is not an issue it is whether it is true or false.
    CM you could have presented a less confrontational attitude on a subject as sensitive as this. You have articulated your viewpoint as well as Whoppit on a religous thread.
    EDIT: and what DD said

grum
    Free Member

The notion that she somehow merited what he was likely planning for her is totally abhorrent, irrespective of how she was dressed or how much alcohol she’d consumed.

And yet, if she hadnt got so pissed, she’d have known to keep away from the scumbag. Oh there I go blaming the victim suggesting people use common sense a bit more.

Just to put another spin on this, I know a man who was raped. No slutty outfit involved, but he did put himself in a very risky situation. He certainly didn’t ‘deserve’ it though. I think it’s stupid to suggest that the two views are incompatible.

Ernie – sorry perhaps I didn’t take your comment as it was intended.

ditch_jockey

the fact that she’s made herself vulnerable or appear “more up for it” should never count in favour of anyone who chooses to use that vulnerability to assault her.

If it appears that I’m disagreeing with you on this point, then my apologies because I’m not.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And if people don’t use common sense, whether they deserve it or not, should that mitigate in favour of the perpetrator?

If it appears that I’m disagreeing with you on this point, then my apologies because I’m not.

Ah right, fair enough then.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Explain? Is someone’s soul taken when they are raped?

The two women I know who’ve been raped both subsequently attempted suicide. Regardless of your view on souls, I think it’s fair to say that a serious amount of psychological damage generally follows the attack. Not something I’m aware of happening to the people I know who’ve been burgled. Perhaps this is atypical though?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Confrontational? Really? I thought i was giving Elfie and Ernie the opportunity to clarify their positions. Despite, their provocative stances.

grum
    Free Member

It’s not about “empowering” women to dress like prostitutes. It’s about breaking the cycle of thought that leads to society somehow feeling that a rapist deserves less punishment for raping a scantily clad “slut” than for a primly dressed spinster.

I never said there should be less punishment, and I find it sickening that this line is used as a standard defence in rape cases. But does that mean we have to abandon common sense too?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But does that mean we have to abandon common sense too?

No, not at all, I think to be fair grum, we’re in agreement broadly on this. And I’m not looking for a scrap (unless Junkyard is spoiling for one in which case, bring it on 😉 ). I’m just trying to get the point across that Slutwalk isn’t about telling women or young girls to go out dressed like prostitutes, but it is a slightly OTT poke in the eye to the parts of society that wonder if “she was asking for it” when a rape case comes to court.

The common sense argument and the over-sexualisation of young girls is a different discussion (IMO).

giantalkali
    Free Member

I’d suggest that if you’re of a raping demeanour then appearance is of lower importance than availability. If I dress sluttily in Tesco at 2pm then I might get ‘tutted’ at, if I wear a burka in a secluded park at 2am I’m putting myself at risk.

Cardiff slutwalk was organised by Beccy Pert…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If I dress sluttily in Tesco at 2pm then I might get ‘tutted’ at, if I wear a burka in a secluded park at 2am I’m putting myself at risk

But let’s be fair and make the full set of comparisons

which is riskiest? put them in order

I dress sluttily in Tesco at 2pm
    I wear a burka in a secluded park at 2am
    I dress sluttily in a secluded park at 2am
    I wear a burka in Tesco at 2pm

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or lets just prolong the argument. 🙄

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

fair enough, let’s just allow anyone to say whatever they like without questioning their ideas

giantalkali
    Free Member

yes, maybe thats the case if my twin sister wears the burka and I’m drinking Thunderbird in my bikini, but assuming that we’re not both mentals, whoever is in the park, late and alone, too pissed to run and abandoned by friends is gonna be a potential victim. Less booze, trainers and a couple of friends would make a big difference, this is just common sense.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m just trying to find a polite way to discourage you from talking any more bollocks. It seems you’re intent on trying to get a rise by asking inane questions. Anyway, don’t let me stop you. I’m off to sleep. I’ll check back tomorrow though to see what other clever stuff you’ve written. Nighty night.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes, you’re right.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Slutwalking?’ is closed to new replies.