Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sliding gates and wood preserver
  • csb

Firstly, anyone had sliding driveway gates fitted? I need some but the fitters are vague about the detail/design and what groundwork is needed.

Secondly, creosote is banned so what options are there for long term wood preservation for wood to be in ground contact (shed bearers).

Thanks for sharing any experience.

New style creosote + diesel= old style creosote!

csb

Does it give that same lovely smell?

tymbian
    Free Member

Lay the shed bearers ( tanalised defo….4×4 fence posts possibly ) on something like Type 1 aka MOT or even gravel. Leave a slight gap when building the shed on the bearers to allow air circulate. If the bearers stay dry they’ll last a bloody long time. On a side note I recently demolished a shed that had to be at least 20 years old where the 4×4 bearers were solid and I could of reused them. The bearers were laid directly onto the soil but had stayed dry the whole time. Its also important to make sure rain water from surrounding areas ( lawn etc. ) don’t run underneath your shed..

csb

Thanks. Got the patio slabs done already so just want to be mega sure that the tantalised bearers are well proofed. Also need to treat the shims that I’ll undoubtably need to correct slight imperfections.

andyl
    Free Member

Strips of DPM between the slabs and bearers to stop water wicking up

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sliding gates and wood preserver’ is closed to new replies.