Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Slash in sidewall – Opinions please!
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

Went for a run on the SDW today and found a slight slash to the front when cleaning this afternoon. I’m reluctant to ditch the tyre as its virtually brand new.
    Its literally just the top layer thats ripped and the tube is not exposed.
    Is it worth changing?
    FYI the tyre is a Conti RQ 2.2

d45yth
    Free Member

Superglue a patch on each side of it.

colande
    Free Member

you could cut a strip of toothpaste tube to put behind the slash as this would stop the innertube coming through.
    or a bit milk carton that would do the same thing,

MarkN
    Free Member

That is the flint on the SDW for you. As has been said patching will keep this tube going for miles to come yet. I have several similar slashes fixed on mine and run them tubeless no worries.

The tube/air will try and make that weak spot larger so yo will need to reinforce it. I have done this successfully with tube patches or chunks of old inner tube and normal tube patching glue. Clean the inside of the tyre in the same way as cleaning the tube and just patch it. If using a piece cut out of an old tube make sure it is clean and rough the surface a little. Apply the vulcanising solution to both and leave to go tacky. Then firmly press into place. Don’t forget to cover the patch with talc etc to stop any excess glue sticking to the inner tube.

Milk carton/toothpaste tube are great for on the trail but may move over time. Also make sure you have no corners.

d45yth
    Free Member

I was even considering that you may be using innertubes! I’ve used tubeless for that long, all I was thinking of was making the tyre airtight. 😳

enfht
    Free Member

As long as it’s not too wide then one of these inside and out should outlast the tyre ime.

Bolt

Cut a strip of the sidewall out of an old tyre and glue it on the inside.
    Have used this method a few times.

Bolt

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

carlos
    Free Member

Stitch it up with dental floss first to reduce more tearing and then stick a decent patch on the inside

Alpha1653

+1 for the dental floss. It’s waxed so should resist rotting for a long time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Slash in sidewall – Opinions please!’ is closed to new replies.