Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sky in more than 1 room?
  • JCornford

I can't afford to pay out for Sky Multi room and was wondering what the options are to be able to watch Sky in more than one room?

Am I right in thinking that you have to watch the same thing in every room?
    I have seen two options; a video sender, or coax from the Sky + Box and a Magic Eye. Any advice, experience using them and or alternatives?

GW
    Free Member

you have to watch the same thing in every room?

What would be the point in that? 😕

would SKY in the living room (main TV) and freeview in the others not do?

jon1973
    Free Member

What would be the point in that?

If you wanted to watch TV in bed, rather than downstairs in the lounge.

would SKY in the living room (main TV) and freeview in the others not do?

Depends what channels you're after I suppose.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

It's called Sky Multi room.

JCornford

Thanks Jon, it's for when I am not in the lounge, i.e. in bed, or on the rollers in the spare room.

uplink
    Free Member

Coax from the 2nd coax socket is the most robust method

There's ways around the multi-room charges but you still need to invest in kit

sharkbait
    Free Member

I've used coax to each room with a sender unit in the roof and it works great. Yes all the telly are being sent the same picture, but would work great for your requirements.
    Our Sky box is 'attached' to a plasma which has built in freeview, so if the girls want to watch Hanna 'bloody' Montana they can go into another room while the 'grown-ups' watch something boring via freeview.

JCornford

Shark Bait, how have you done that? One coax feed from the Sky box going into the roof and into a sender (booster/splitter I presume?) and then feeds going into each room?

iain1775
    Free Member

Shark Bait, how have you done that? One coax feed from the Sky box going into the roof and into a sender (booster/splitter I presume?) and then feeds going into each room?

Thats what I have
    Only prob is depending on the splitter / booster your magic eye probably wont work
    Seems to work better too if the coax from sky to splitter is a s short as poss and good quality connections

Was thinking of multiroom (or main TV is now in the back extension and its HD) does anyone know if they will install without a phone connection to the box, its not possible to run a phone cable due to wooden floors, fireplaces and not wanting to mess up decor?
    Sky website says both must be connected to a phone line, obviously once its in I would poss disconnect it anyway but would they even install without?

uplink
    Free Member

Only prob is depending on the splitter / booster your magic eye probably wont work

It should work fine, make sure you've switched the 12V DC output on for RF2

Anyway – these work well for what the OP wants
    http://www.bitzshop.co.uk/acatalog/Amps___Splitters.html

uplink
    Free Member

does anyone know if they will install without a phone connection to the box

They will but you'll have to buy an unsubsidised box – which makes it quite expensive
    Better off buying a second hand one & taking a card only deal

njee20
    Free Member

I got a video sender thing from Maplin for £40, plug one into the Sky box, the other into the second TV, it works perfectly, includes an IR thingy so the remote works in either room.

DezB
    Free Member

Sky are c*&ts btw. I ordered Multiroom when it was free, but they "forgot" to include it in my order!

So anyway, what we have now, is a Sky box connected in another room, with a unregistered (purchased for £20 or £30 from Sky) viewing card, which gives channels 1-4 and nothing else.
    It's connected to the satellite dish and not the aerial, so can't get any freeview channels.
    The phone and satellite cables are run around the outside of the house, so as not to wreck decor.
    I guess we'd have to subscribe again to get the other Sky Channels, but can't be bothered.

uplink
    Free Member

DezB – just buy a cheapy Freesat box & connect that to it

monkey_boy
    Free Member

wireless video senders are great, get one with the highest frequency

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep, exactly that. I use one of these distribution units with the magic eye and have not had a single problem in 8 years.

br
    Free Member

I put in the video sender from Maplin too, watch which one as the cheaper ones conflict with wireless… as I found out.

Need another Sky remote too.

Great if the main telly is been used for xbox/dvd etc, then have full sky functionality upstairs for no extra monthly cost.

DezB
    Free Member

just buy a cheapy Freesat box & connect that to it

Cheers, uplink. Will look into that.

uplink
    Free Member

Cheers, uplink. Will look into that.

Speak to Ton – he works for a wholesaler

JCornford

Thanks, lots of good tips there.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sky in more than 1 room?’ is closed to new replies.