Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ski Helmet Advice Required
  • Alphabet

The SO wants a ski helmet and I have no clue what to look for. It'll be for general skiing, no big jumps or big air. Just something to cushion the blow should she bin it on some red/black piste. It'll get one or two weeks use a year.

I figure like cycle helmets she's better off trying several for size/fit in a ski shop when abroad but it would (probably) be cheaper to buy one on line and send it back if it doesn't fit.

Any recommendations or anything I should avoid?

Ta

solarider
    Free Member

Great idea. Not only safe, but so much warmer than any other headgear. This is possibly one area where UK mail order might not be that cheap, and buying one in the resort better, partly due to supply and demand, but also due to the high postage cost of a return due to its bulky nature if you don't get the size right. Ski helmets aren't exactly common in the UK, whereas they are 'bread and butter' in a ski shop where it snows for almost half the year and this tends to keep prices down in the resort. Great brands to look for are Giro, Uvex, Smith, Alpine. She really does need to try a few side by side though. In most ski resorts there will be a number of shops and this also tends to keep prices down a little. You might therefore be surprised by how cheap stuff can actually be in resort. It's a bit different to bike helmets. I know I have a a sml/med 'Giro head', but in ski helmets its a whole different fit process. Possibly not the answer you wanted to hear, but as a regular skiier, I long assumed that resort ski shop prices were bound to be more expensive than 'back home' based on bike price experience, but it isn't the case in my experience of skiing mainly in Austria. Can't speak for the French resorts of course!

Styles are split in a similar way to mtb helmets (race/XC/freeride/downhill). Racy types which tend to be very close fitting and not that well ventilated (unless you are racing, steer clear – it's like wearing a full aero bike helmet on a £50 supermarket bike), 'dudey' types (bucket design and quite cool in snowboard circles) and standard helmets (normal looking, sometimes with peaks/visors).

Things to look for:

1) Some sort of removable padding/ear muffs should the weather get warm.
    2) Venting as above (turn off and onable). The ski helmet has to work at both keeping you warm and cool should the sun come out. Because of the full coverage, they can quickly get too hot in the sun.
    3) Full shell (some have exposed polystyrene and this tends to wear faster).
    4) Most importantly good fit.
    5) Goggle loops at the back (but these are pretty standard).
    6) A clasp that you can do and undo in gloves blind. Some are simpler than others.
    7) A good interface with your goggles. Not all goggles and helmets work well together (another reason you need to try before you buy).

Alphabet

Cheers solarider that's a pretty comprehensive reply. Thanks for the tips on what to look for. From what you've said I think we'll sort one out for her when we get to the resort. Thanks.

Dino
    Free Member

Take a look at the GIro and Uvex web sites as these seem to be really good, the Uvex stuff is good value for money, the Giro is also very good but costs a bit more on average

Beagleboy

I'm just learning to Snowboard at the moment and as I've gotten a wee bit faster on the board (and can now turn left…most of the time 😆 ), I invested in a wee bit extra protection.

I've got a balloon heid which sort of limits the range of helmets I can get, but the one that I got, and think is superb is the Giro Shiv. It has all the features that Solarider lists. A full outershell, removable plugs for the vents, a magnetic removable goggle strap clip and removable pads supplied in different sizes for a custom fit.

I got it from this online retailer http://www.onebelowzero.com and if you look here ( http://www.onebelowzero.com/giro-2009-shiv-audio-helmet ) they have a superb deal on the audio version which has mp3 speakers fitted into the earpads!

Beagy 8)

organic355
    Free Member

I can vouch for Giro helmets, really comfy, with removable foam inserts, openable vents and removeable ear pads.

If you are going for the gnarly boarder baggy panted skier look then check out the Burton RED helmets.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

I would buy one here if you can. Last thing you need is to waste time in shops when you should be on the snow! 🙂

Definitely try on for size. I have a large Giro that fits perfectly, other makes large sizes were too small.

Decathlon do cheap (but to safety standard) helmets. I paid an arm and half a leg at TSA in Manchester…

Paul

mtbfix

I bought my ski helmet in the resort so I had a good choice, added to hich we were paying in dollars so another saving there a few years back. As above, get removeable ear protection and easily adjustable venting is also a great benefit.

peachos
    Free Member

expensive, but probably the best looking ski/board helmets around at the moment (along with POC)

BERN

hainey
    Free Member

Another vote for the Giro Helmets, bought mine out in Fernie a few years back and it is great, super warm, comfortable and has removable air vents if needed. Fitment wise, just like any other helmet in my opinion, try before you buy. They're not as universal fitting as say a one size giro bike helmet so just take care with that.

nbt

CHeck out Decathlon, Mrs NBT is really happy with her decathlon helmet and IIRC you;re close to Stockport?

MRanger156
    Free Member

Salomon, Giro, RED, Protec, Bern are all good brands with a style to suit most people. Watch out for the Bern "Hard Hat" ones, not actually tested to any standards.

Obviously better to try on first if poss and check goggle compatability (sunglasses and a helmet is a big no-no)! Online is cheaper so may be worth a punt (all companies will have sizing charts).

Tracey

Giro do some good ones, got our girls helmets from Chain Reaction

Tracey

Spongebob
    Free Member

I did wonder whether it would be much cheaper to buy a cyle helmet and get a pair of tune up earpads to fit. You wouldn't get the lining on a cycle helmet, but I don't think you really need it. You might have to get handy with a needle and cotton and bits of elastic/zips/velcro, or whatever.

£15 helmet

£30 Tune Up ear pads

£45 is cheap!

Spongebob
    Free Member
    solarider
    Free Member

How do you keep yer ears warm with that? Brrrr!

GrahamS

I did wonder whether it would be much cheaper to buy a cyle helmet and get a pair of tune up earpads to fit..You might have to get handy with a needle and cotton and bits of elastic/zips/velcro, or whatever.. £45 is cheap!

Smith Holt is £60 from boardwise.
    £54 with my SCUK discount.

For the sake of £9 I'd rather avoid the homemade look!

Andy-W
    Free Member

I have just a Giro that i can open and close the vents while it was on my head and used it for the first time just before Christmas and was impressed how good it was even when the temp got to -18 (not counting windchill)

Got mine in the UK but there is a massive amount of choice where I went in France but like for like it would have cost me about £20 more to buy in France

The year before the skis i got in the UK were double in the French resort !!

Happy shopping …..

singletrackmind

Trespass had entry level ones for £39 before chrimbo in Amazingsmoke. They were dark green or grey, full PU outer , goggle hook , adjustable vents seemed OK to me. If you are only going for 1 week a year £39 is not a huge amount V head/brain injury.

snowpaul
    Free Member

Protec

I have used burton years ago too and giro as well – try before you buy think giro is overpriced vs other brands

paul

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ski Helmet Advice Required’ is closed to new replies.