Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Singlespeed conversion help needed…
  • baron_glassback
    Free Member

Hey all,

I’ve got enough bits to build another bike but I want to do something different. I’m thinking of a singlespeed build but I need the collective wisdom of the STW crowd to answer the following questions (link to products would be good)…

1. I’ve only got campag compatible wheels, can these be converted to running siglespeed?

2. I don’t want to leave the full cassette on so that it all looks clean, are there any spacer kits and can I use and would a standard campag lock ring work?

3. I’ll be using a compact crank set 36/48 (I think), what’s the best ring to use and what’s the best rear cog to use it with (I use 12 -25 cassettes).

If all goes well I think this will look class.

Cheers.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

hard to find campy compatible SS dedicated (tall toothed) cogs. But you can use a cassette cog.

Spacers should be available – or use some from old cassettes

Ratio is entirely up to you … I ran 44-16 in london with 28c tyres .. I now run a “2 speed” using 53/39 front and 14t rear

baron_glassback
    Free Member

That’s what I’m thinking of doing. I’ve got loads of old cassettes, just not many spacers. I’ve spotted a spacer kit from on-one and ordered it but I don’t know if it will fit.

I’m hoping I can just trap a campag cassette cog between the spacer and use a campag lock ring, run a chain onto which ever front ring is best and tidy it all up with a chain tensioner like the singulator.

Am I being naive or will that work?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Charlie the Bikemonger used to do a campag specific singlespeed spacer kit. I ordered one in error, was a nice quality product.

andyl
    Free Member

you could always ask around for a knackered campag cassette and use it for spacers.

Charlie TBM might be worth a shout though as he might know of somewhere to get it. Also try the London Fixed site.

Oh and SS specific stuff is soooo much nicer to use for SS.

But try it 1st and see before you splash your cash.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you want a pretty spacer kit checkout velo solo. Nice colours!

baron_glassback
    Free Member

Charlie the bike monger…inspired!

andyl
    Free Member

^^^ ahh velo solo. Pretty stuff 😀

charliedontsurf

Hi… That is BIKEMONGER… one word. I don’t “mong” bikes 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

charlie the monger.

it has a ring to it you know.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed conversion help needed…’ is closed to new replies.