Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Single woman camping in europe yes or no
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hello would you feel comfortable letting you 21 yr old daughter cycle tour through western europe into the balkans using camping as her main form of accomodation?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Seeing as she is 21 then as an adult its beyond your control, having said that it would be very ill advised and I would not be happy if I had a 21 year old daughter planning such a trip, When my son reached the same age and was to plan such a trip I still would advise against it.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

i travelled loads when i was in my late teens/early 20’s and was always amazed how many girls i met on their own…its usually was cos they were very cool/collected and i guess they could handle themselves also…id say it would depend on the girl…but then i dont have a 21 yr old daughter!

spooky_b329

Not sure, but I suspect if you try and persuade her otherwise that will just make her more determined to do it!

vondally
    Free Member

indeed worried father syndrome….oddly as she has sole travelled across nepal and northern indian for 4 months, then 4 weeks solo travelling in usa including new york and washington using grey hound bus.i was far less concerned than camping in europe

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Camping in Europe will be fine. I think you have hit the nail on the head in your last post – why would cycling and camping in europe be any more dangerous than solo travel in the US or India?

myheadsashed

Go on Thorn Tree and ask advice or the CTC forums or Bikeforums touring sections for advice.
    Just because she’s 21 doesn’t mean she doesn’t have any common sense.
    I met a 16yr old Danish girl and travelled with her for a few days many yrs ago. She did seen worried and appeared to be well switched on.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

More than happy to accompany her if that puts your mind at ease.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Over protective parent thinking of worst case scenarios, its a case of what if 😕

emsz
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Play with Google or try and speak to some women with first hand experience.
    I can’t see it being any worse that travelling alone in the UK.

MSP

Lets be honest, most of Europe would be safer than the UK, but the Balkans could be a bit more lawless. Depends where she’s going, down the Adriatic coast through Croatia I would expect to be no problem at all.

chewkw
    Free Member

Before you decide please watch the movie “Taken” …

The question you need to ask as a father is whether the world now is safer for single girl … especially in the Balkans.

If yes, let her go …

If no, then explain your reason to her then let her decide and if she still insists that she is right then tell her not to bother others if she is in trouble.

alpin
    Free Member

a friend who ditched her job and bought a camper recently got back from her 6 month climbing/driving jaunt around europe.

despite the security of her van she didn’t feel comfortable camping alone in “east” europe.

i’m sure that in the wilds you’re ok, but nearer to towns and villages i don’t think i’d be too happy camping with my bike outside.

eastern europe is poor compared to the west and crime is high. a friend had his shoes stolen in romania when he left them outside his flat. there were only two other people with access to the corridor – his nieghbour and landlord.

jota180
    Free Member

Hello would you feel comfortable letting you 21 yr old daughter cycle tour through western europe into the balkans using camping as her main form of accomodation?

As a father of 20 and a 22 yr old daughters – no chance

johnhe

I wouldn’t be happy about it at all, and would try ha to persuade her to take a friend.

emsz
    Free Member

Jota180, what about Bestival, Glastonbury or Reading?

jam-bo

Before you decide please watch the movie “Taken” …

Seriously? With that logic I’m amazed you ever leave the house….

hels
    Free Member

When I think about some of the stuff I got up to at a much younger age, I think cycle touring through Europe on my own would have been safer !

For goodness sake please trust her, give her some common sense advice about personal safety, the contact details of British Embassies and Consulates, make it clear you will bail her out whatever the circumstances and send her on her way.

(And ask yourself, would you feel differently if it was your son ??)

jota180
    Free Member

is that an invite emsz?

thanks – see you there

MSP

what about Bestival, Glastonbury or Reading?

Cycle through Reading, that would be suicide!

Seriously?

Obviously not 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

If no, then explain your reason to her then let her decide and if she still insists that she is right then tell her not to bother others if she is in trouble.

This is a joke, right…………….?

emsz
    Free Member

It’s perception Jota,

I’ve seen and heard about stuff going on at those camping sites that would make most parents think twice about letting either their sons or daughters go, in comparison to camping at family sites in Europe, theyre much worse.

jon1973
    Free Member

Please tell me you don’t have children of your own.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

It’s one of those things where probably nothing will happen at all, but if something did it would appear to have been an incredibly stupid thing for her to do.

A young woman traveling alone is an easy target for anyone.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Why not??

I’ve two mates (girls) who independently hitch hiked down the coast of Peru and Argentina respectively.
    Didn’t do either any harm and no harm came to them.

Should be fine.

But then I’ve no kids, so take my input with either a hand full, or pinch , of salt.

emsz
    Free Member

oh, please 🙄

Midnighthour
    Free Member

CTC sites and outdoors web sites have contact lists to gather together people who are looking for companions to travel to places. If your daughter wishes to find company she could post there.

Also as mentioned, ask your daughter to enquire on their forums about experiences. She may well have read up already if she is keen to go.

She could also seek the advice of the British foreign office or the tourist boards/government offices of the counties in question.

Its very sad if you bully your daughter or treat her like owned property though – to make her look after YOUR fears and dependence. Yes, talk to her about risks and benefits of travel. But don’t undermine her. Don’t act like you own her. “Let her” is an appalling phrase to use about someone who has been an adult for many years – how would you feel if you were treated like property? A child is not property and your girl is no longer even a child.

The unfortunate thing about loving anyone is that it is full of risks and fears – but you cant cage people because of that or none of us would ever be able to even leave the house.

Josie Dew – this woman has biked the world on her own – try her many books – they are dully written but never the less, she has gone great distances and survived quite well – as did Ann Mustoe who also wrote many books. One retired, one very young. Both were happy with their choice to bike alone for thousands of miles.

Give your girl advice, self belief and respect. Don’t give her the responsibility for your fears.

MSP

Really the biggest danger is actually cycling on roads, and most of Europe is far safer than the UK for that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Festivals??

Well MrsBouy used to frequent Glasto’ back in the day and nowt happened to her, ok so it was 8 yrs ago the last time she went and before that another couple of years.. The only thing she said was keep your belongings to yourself, expect your tent to be occupied by some drunken sleeping fool or your undies stolen, ohhhh and steer clear of the drug peddlers..unless that’s you thing man.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    Edukator
    Free Member

It’ll be quite dangerous until she gets to Harwich but once she’s onto Dutch cycle paths she’ll be safe enough.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Josie Dew – brief biography page

About Me

jon1973
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lrJg8NMsFw[/video]

hels
    Free Member

I have travelled loads on my own, starting at age 19 with a trip to Canada. In my experience, it is very easy not to attract attention if you don’t want to. Even just basic stuff like covering up blonde hair.

If she has good self esteem and the sense to not get into any dodgy situations, and get herself out of any, she will be fine.

vanilla83
    Free Member

I’m appalled with many of the answers on here. Especially the Taken film comment. As someone else posted, I’m amazed that you leave the house at all with that attitude. I’m equally appalled that many “parents” (I’m assuming most are as you all seem to be speaking from personal experience (sic)) think it fine to ban/stop this young lady from experiencing the world herself and would rather use your own narrow minded opinions instead.

Emsz also has some very good points: do you let her go to festivals? Or drinking in city centers? IMHO those are significantly worse than travelling in Europe!

This +1 for the most sensible answer.

Midnighthour – Member
    CTC sites and outdoors web sites have contact lists to gather together people who are looking for companions to travel to places. If your daughter wishes to find company she could post there.

Also as mentioned, ask your daughter to enquire on their forums about experiences. She may well have read up already if she is keen to go.

She could also seek the advice of the British foreign office or the tourist boards/government offices of the counties in question.

Its very sad if you bully your daughter or treat her like owned property though – to make her look after YOUR fears and dependence. Yes, talk to her about risks and benefits of travel. But don’t undermine her. Don’t act like you own her. “Let her” is an appalling phrase to use about someone who has been an adult for many years – how would you feel if you were treated like property? A child is not property and your girl is no longer even a child.

The unfortunate thing about loving anyone is that it is full of risks and fears – but you cant cage people because of that or none of us would ever be able to even leave the house.

Josie Dew – this woman has biked the world on her own – try her many books – they are dully written but never the less, she has gone great distances and survived quite well – as did Ann Mustoe who also wrote many books. One retired, one very young. Both were happy with their choice to bike alone for thousands of miles.

Give your girl advice, self belief and respect. Don’t give her the responsibility for your fears.

jota180
    Free Member

I’m equally appalled that many “parents”

Why’s that?
    the question was “would you be comfortable”

my answer remains no

MSP

I’m appalled with many of the answers on here. Especially the Taken film comment.

He was obviously joking, get a grip.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m appalled with many of the answers on here. Especially the Taken film comment. As someone else posted, I’m amazed that you leave the house at all with that attitude. I’m equally appalled that many “parents” (I’m assuming most are as you all seem to be speaking from personal experience (sic)) think it fine to ban/stop this young lady from experiencing the world herself and would rather use your own narrow minded opinions instead.

Emsz also has some very good points: do you let her go to festivals? Or drinking in city centers? IMHO those are significantly worse than travelling in Europe!
    *hangs head in shame but does ask what sic means*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Single woman camping in europe yes or no’ is closed to new replies.