Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Single Malt
  • Pigface
    Free Member

No idea about whisky but want to buy a bottle for a mate who has helped me out. Reccomendations please. Thank you.

burley_bob
    Free Member

I suggest a Benromach. Second smallest distillery in Scotland and the smallest in Speyside.

It's also small enough for a whisky lover to know that you have put some thought into it rather than getting whatever is on offer in Saino's.

Depending on budget I would go for Pete Smoke, Organic (if they are a little alternative) or if you've got cash to splash they do 21 and 25 yr old.

Garry_Lager

It's usually good to get an Islay malt as a gift for a mate – these are the very peaty, fiery whiskies. Like licking Scotland – the iron fist to the velvet glove of some mainland malts. He'll probably love it, and if he doesn't you can just call him a fanny for not being man enough to drink a real whisky.

Popular Islay distilleries: Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Bowmore. This last one is a lot smoother then the others (to me).

Highland Park, distilled on Orkney, has been called the best all-rounder of the malts. This makes a nice gift and is available for a decent price most places.

mildred

I suggest Caol Ila:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/B-50-Caol_ila.aspx

The 12 year old is very nice, and tastes far more exclusive/expensive than it's price range.

The 18 year old is less in your face (not that the 12 year old is really), with a very creamy texture on the palate and a gentle smoky after taste.

If money isn't an issue the best value by far is the John Milroy 1981 "provenance". £73.99 – is extremely good value for a whisky of this quality.

Shack
    Free Member

I'd go with the Highland Park, good all rounder and very drinkable. Safe bet if someone is not a big malt drinker. Lot of the Islay malts are an aquired taste and can be very love or hate. Alternative might be a Balvenie again very easy drinking.

rOcKeTdOg

peaty-bowmore

spey-abalour

either is excellent and the bowmore isn't peaty enough to scare him

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just cracked open an Aberlour A'bunadh and it's really very, very good indeed!

matthewjb
    Free Member

+1 for the A'bunadh.

I'd avoid Islay unless you know your mates loves them.

organic355
    Free Member

Cant beat bunnahabhain IMO

Hal
    Free Member

Royal Lochnagar 12 year old malt, Distilled by me. 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Malts seem like an odd choice for a mate unless you know they like them. 90% of my friends hate them, I have family members who hoard them as they never drink the presents they get etc etc.

AB
    Free Member

As others have suggested, there is plenty to choose from, but Macallan is consistently regarded as one of the best Single Malts around. Very drinkable too. It's what I buy friends and clients who want to get into Whiskey, but haven't drunk much of it before.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What AB said.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

As others said above, I would steer clear of Islay. Lots of people find them too peaty and smokey. Personally I reckon Higland Park is nice but overrated – so much exposure means the price is too high for what you get. Probably best to go for Speyside. I've recently really enjoyed Glen Deveron 12 and Dalmore 12, but Macallan or any other decent brand will fit the bill

Hal
    Free Member

W H I S K Y not W H I S K E Y 👿

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

another +1 for the A'bunadh here too.

beanum

Bruichladdich is very nice. And nearly Yeti turquoise.. 🙂

footstomper
    Free Member

Glenmerangie Port Whisky extremely good for around £40 mark.

grumm
    Free Member

Highland Park is a good shout – Islay might be a bit much unless you are into the peatiness and smokiness.

ransos
    Free Member

Surprised to see an absence of recommendations for Talisker. It's an absolute cracker, especially the 18 y.o.

Smudger666

I can recommend the Scapa – orkney distillery – somewhat unknown next to its bigger neighbour (Highland Park) but possibly the smoothest malt i've tasted – liquid smoke.

and i'm off back there next week – i'll make sure its still tasty 😉

MrBlond
    Free Member

Talisker is probably my favourite, but pretty 'bonfirey', Bowmore's softer.

Sorry beanum, but Bruichladdich is vile :-/

ransos
    Free Member

Here's an odd thing. Mrs Ransos has hated every whisky she has ever tried, with the exception of Laphroaig Quarter Cask. So being a beginner isn't necessarily a barrier to enjoying a full-on Islay whisky.

Coyote
    Free Member

You can't go wrong with Bells.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I would go for a Dalwhinnie, or a Glenlivet Oak smoked reserve.
    I really love Bowmore, but like many have said it's very peaty and may not suit!

silverpigeon
    Free Member

All of the above (except the Bells) are excellent Whiskies. I have around 10 bottles of single malt at the moment but my favourite is an 18 year old Mortlach. Very smooth and a better bet IMHO than an Islay malt, which I think is an acquired taste.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Highland Park, why not?

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Oban 😀

ButtonMoon

I'd rather boil my own head than drink Bells!!!

Highland Park or Bunnahabhain are my personal favorites.

lister

Penderyn Sherrywood…lovely.

jj55

I'd second Benromach, sublime! – then again so is Highland Park…….. or even the Welsh Whiskey Penderyn

tankslapper
    Free Member
    jet26
    Free Member

Talisker 18 year old – fantastic smoky flavour and doesn't have anywhere near the edge that the 10 year old has.

The Mrs hates whisky and will happily drink this on a winter's day – very smooth.

Best drunk in a pub by the fire on Skye!

tankslapper
    Free Member

Or buy cheap 'cooking Bush' stud a lemon slice with cloves, add whiskey , hot water and a spoonful of sugar et voila! Hot toddy

(That was a public service announcement on behalf of THE IRISH!)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Single Malt’ is closed to new replies.