Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Simple offline navigation
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Following on from an earlier thread

Off on holiday soon, created a few gpx of mixed on and off road rides im looking to do round some areas I know I’ll have no signal never mind internet connection.

Normally use MMTracker but don’t have / can’t get maps for the area.

ViewRanger seems to be popular but even in Navigation mode it seems to want to record a track which I suspect will unnecessarily burn battery plus I can’t seem to get the screen to stay on or the map to rotate despite clicking the option.

So… Does anyone know of a basic android based app that will let me upload a gpx and navigate me along it using free offline maps?

Rubber_Buccaneer

They will all burn through your battery. Personally I like ViewRanger but Back Country Navigator was a very good and cheap alternative.

aracer
    Free Member

I think Oruxmaps will do that, though I’ve never tried using the navigation functions. Works with free maps ripped from the internet – I’ve got my map creation sorted and full UK mapping ripped, but it can be a bit of a faff depending how you do it (at some point I’ll polish my map generation app and release it).

Simon

I use Back Country Navigator. Full UK os maps included in the price of the app, which was £8 when I bought it. I think there is a free trial version.
    You can download map tiles to use when off line.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll have a look at those two, everything seems to be rammed full of features when all I need is the basics

thepodge
    Free Member

Problem with buying more maps is I already have 95% of the ones I need, I don’t want to be paying again and again

steezysix
    Free Member

OSMand, there’s a free version (limited number of offline maps) and a paid version which is well worth the money. As said above, any app will kill your battery if you’re constantly using via a combination of GPS and keeping the screen on!

thepodge
    Free Member

Tried osmand, didn’t think too much of it and it kept telling me one of the gpx was too far from a road to navigate

Rubber_Buccaneer

Normally use MMTracker but don’t have / can’t get maps for the area.

Is it old Memory Map maps that you use? I think I have the whole of the UK on a CD or DVD that I will never use again. 1:50k of the UK, version 5 I think. If you can make use of it I can stick it in the post or I may even have a version I exported for MMTracker if I delve into the depths of my NAS

thepodge
    Free Member

Yep old memory map files, I have most stuff but I’m lacking any detail on Anglesey, I’ll email you, thanks

Rubber_Buccaneer

Just sent a reply

belugabob
    Free Member

I’ve found that the phone comms is the biggest drain on battery life. If using navigation features for a long period, put the phone in Airplane mode

MadBillMcMad

BCN here – can use Open Street maps when abroad.

Put your phone in airplane mode when out in no-where land so the phone is not hunting for a signal as this is the biggest battery hogger of the lot.

medoramas
    Free Member

It really depends of the setting of your phone before the ride. I was recently in similar situation, when going for holiday in Normandy.

What I did was I got premium maps of the area we were going to, I found plenty of GPX files on French MTB forum (VTT!), bought the QuadLock mount and it was it. Before the rides I switched wifi, Bluetooth and NFC off on the phone, the network setting was 2G only, display dimmed a bit and running Strava with ViewRanger (in “follow” mode, which records your ride, as you said) simultaneously I was able to enjoy the technology for around 4 hours.

And this included: snapping photos during the rides, sending occasional text to the wife and having the screen on for most of the time (proper navigation!). Phone is Xperia Z3.

thepodge
    Free Member

I use an old phone not my main one so its always in aeroplane mode with just gps switch back on.

Thankfully I’ve had a mystery donor of the exact maps I needed to work with MMTracker so I’m all good now.

medoramas
    Free Member

Just got an idea: getting an external battery pack in one of these stem/toptube mounted bags would allow for a whole day of exploration!

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve known people do that and I actually have a dynamo front wheel and usb charger so its not really an issue, its just if I was going to buy a new app and potentially buy a load of maps for a third time I don’t want to be buying a battery pack (for when I don’t have the dynamo) just because I cant get a bit of the app I never use to turn off and stop draining the battery.

Anyway, as above, I’m sorted now, many thanks

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Simple offline navigation’ is closed to new replies.