• This topic has 31 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by gray.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Silt XC Alloy Wheels
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m after a set of lighter and newer wheels for my XC 29er HT, it’s very much an XC bike, I don’t do jumps and the toughest stuff it’ll ever be exposed to is the odd National level XC as a spare bike and local regional stuff that less rough.

It currently has s set of 2018 Mavic Crossmax in a rather untrendy 19mm inner rim width, not bad wheels but a tad lardy at over 1900g.

The Silts are on budget have have caught my eye as having pretty subtle decals, 25mm internal width, good weight at 1599g’s and the added bonus of a free pair of Conti Race Kings Protection as part of their recent offer.

Has anyone ridden a set and have real world opinions of them?

honourablegeorge

Hunt have their XC Race wheels reduced for Black Friday, might be worth a look also, no free tyres though

Black Friday | Hunt Bike Wheels

steve_b77
    Free Member

I noticed them, but its only the CL wheels that are reduced, the 6 bolt ones are a full £449 from what I can see.

Kryton57

added bonus of a free pair of Conti Race Kings Protection

Just FYI I couldn’t get that code to work.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Silts get very good reviews from what I hear. I know someone with the Scribe gravel wheels and reviews them well. The hubs are probably about the loudest I’ve ever heard though, not buzzy, just very loud.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just FYI I couldn’t get that code to work

We’re you applying it to the XC Alloys?

Kryton57

Yep the ones with the offer written in the website.

When you click on the wheels the offer is there, with a *does not apply to alloy wheel sets by it which I guess the issue. Probably best to email Silt, it’s likely a web error.

bikesandboots

I just tried adding XC Alloy and a pair of Race King ShieldWall (the only variant available, at £90) to my basket. Applied SILT22 and it makes one of the tyres free. Still remains after removing the other tyre. If that’s how it’s supposed to be, it’s a free £30 tyre rather than the advertised free pair of ProTection £50 tyres.

bikesandboots

Silt hub sound here https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-silts-1000-dollar-carbon-xc-wheels.html

The hub is a Chosen ratchet, Hunt use a Novatec pawl.

Same bearing size (6902; 15x28mm) as Hunt, bit smaller than Hope Pro 4 / JRA Bitex (6903; 17x30mm).

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gone ahead and bought the SILT XC with the free RaceKing ShieldWall tyres, they’re set to land on Tuesday so I’ll get some pics and the like up in due course.

May have to get something a tad grippier for the front mind as the local forest is getting a bit on the damp side now.

StuartC
    Free Member

Bought a set of SILT XC alloy wheels over the summer after a failure on the standard WTB wheels on my Vitus Rapide.

Happy enough with them and seem to be sturdy enough with no real concerns. Tyres fitted at home tubeless in about 5 minutes, just popped on and done. Only thing I noticed was that tubeless tape wasn’t finished off that well so took a few mins to tidy that up. Hub sound is very stand out, I have no emotional attachment to the noise, but you definitely can’t miss it.

I would recommend them to anyone looking for a “value for money” wheelset.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Hub sound is very stand out, I have no emotional attachment to the noise, but you definitely can’t miss it.

To be fair that will come in handy for lunchtime spins round the woods as there’s always walkers about.

StuartC
    Free Member

Yes I find that useful also. If they don’t hear me straight away a couple of back pedals to ramp up the volume usually does the trick.

Kryton57

I’m Interested in trail wheels for the Occam. The 29 race face Arc + 2.6 maxxis dhf feels like weight lifting.

bikesandboots

May have to get something a tad grippier for the front mind as the local forest is getting a bit on the damp side now.

Yes, bit risky on the front really. I’ve paired it with a Cross King on the front.

To be fair that will come in handy for lunchtime spins round the woods as there’s always walkers about.

I appreciated this was a thing, but didn’t realise how much until I went out for a first spin on my JRA Bitex – almost silent. Quite like it after the OEM wheels and the Hope Pro 4 on my other bike, but the bell will definitely be getting more use.

steve_b77
    Free Member

So, the wheels and tyres turned up yesterday. Off came the old Mavic Crossmax and on went the new Silts with the supplied tubeless valves put in, rotors & cassette swapped over and then a CrossKing fitted up front and a RaceKing out back.

The tyres went up easily with a track pump and sealed up nicely straight away, some minor air loss overnight but I attributed that to them just sitting there having not been ridden to settle in, pumped up this morning an all good.

The wheels slotted in nicely and for the first time in history (well mine) I didn’t have to realign calipers or index the gears, obviously a massive stroke of luck. The wheels are nicely finished and look good, build seems absoluteley fine also, not that I can really comment much as I’ve only ever had factory wheels and these seem as good as anything else I’ve had / got including DT XR1700 splines, Fulcrum Racing 3 DB etc.

They weigh as advertised and are nicely just over 300g less than the Mavics that came off.

I took the bike out for a spin this much time and they acted just like wheels, they went round, they didn’t creak of ping or groan and felt good, maybe a tad stiffer than the older / narrower Mavics (25mm internal v 19mm internal) but just as smooth, so first impressions are good. The freehub also isn’t loud, yeah you can hear it, but it’s no louder than my DT hubbed wheels. The 2.2″ Conti’s measure 2.2″ inflated too, just as they’re meant to

Anyway, here’s a coulpe of pics

Kryton57

I joined the Silt club today with the XC Alloys after my Mavic free hub exploded leaving the mech going through the spokes – lucky the Mech is fine.

Delivered 48hrs after I placed the order, pre-taped, 2 x Barzo’s up with a track pump and a near silent free hub. The whole build feels quality especially for the money. If anyone is after some wheels they currently have a 20% sale on.

StuartC
    Free Member

Just bought some Race D’s from Scribe (same company) due to their 20% offer and my experience with the XC Alloys I got last year.

Still very happy with them, not causing me any dramas.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The whole build feels quality especially for the money. If anyone is after some wheels they currently have a 20% sale on.

I keep looking at the XC Carbons, I keep nearly buying the XC carbons, one day I will!

On another note, I’ve now done just over 800km on the Silt XC’s, including one XCO race, plenty of local riding through the winter down to -5degC and some big days out at Afan crashing and bashing them into and over rocks and they’re still as straight and true as the day I mounted them. Fantastic wheels for the money.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

A very timely reappearance of this thread, as I have just bought a set of the silt alloy xc for my on one whippet. I already own a pair of the carbon xc and I’m very impressed.
    Was going to buy a set of Hunt Xc race as they’re just down the road from me, but couldn’t resist the £100 price difference.

Duane…
    Free Member

People that have got Silt wheels recently, how is the sound of the hub? Pretty much every review says they are too loud, but the replies above either say it’s near silent, or doesn’t mention it at all.

I wonder if they have changed the hub recently?

Thanks.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

I received my alloy xc this afternoon. Very quiet. About the same as the dtswiss 370 hubs I have, if not a little quieter.
    I also have a pair of the carbon xc wheels. By far the loudest hubs I’ve owned. I love them! No need for a bell.

Kryton57

Yes mine are very quiet. I read the reviews that mentioned the loud hub and was surprised at mine. First ride tomorrow, the engagement felt better in the garden the my prior Mavics.

Duane…
    Free Member

Are the hubs on the carbon wheels different to the alloy wheels then? Or does the rim material change the sound? Genuinely curious how some people report these wheels are unbearably loud while others say they are near silent

StuartC
    Free Member

My Scribe Race D’s (which as far as I can tell is the same freehub at the Silt XC’s) which turned up this week are very quiet, but the Silt wheels I got last year you most definitely can’t miss.

I have seen stuff mentioned before about changing the “volume” depending on the type and amount of oil/grease used in the hub, it may be that they have gone for a quieter grease? I want the road wheels to be a bit louder as I found the noise on the MTB useful, better than a poxy bell.

They may well get louder over time?

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

I would have thought they were the same hub. I haven’t really looked at them side by side yet, will have look tomorrow. As I say, the 2 different wheelsets are like chalk and cheese in terms of hub volume.

Kryton57

First proper ride on the XC Alloy today, So mine are a near silent purr when coasting but angry wasp when back-pedalling.

Otherwise they feel slightly stiffer and sure-er (less vague?) than the Mavics they replace and I can feel the pickup is just that slight bit quicker. My ride was a mud fest so I’d really like to see how they hold at speed when it dries out.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Pretty much every review says they are too loud

As above, mine are 800km in and I was surprised how quiet the freehub was out of the box, not actually quiet, but quieter than what I expected. They’re louder than my DT350’s and 240’s and on a par with the Mavic CrossMax they replaced.

gray

Thread revival!

How are Silt alloy XC wheels holding up? Bearings lasting OK? Rims not too denty?

Thanks!

Kryton57

Nothing wrong with mine, been raced last year, hammered at Hadleigh, Swinley and through mud at Epping for winter training and they are still true and smooth.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve now got 2 sets, one on my Scale and the other on my (now middle lads) Scale and they’re bang on, not a single issue to report.

gray

Thanks both!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.