Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sidford (nr sidmouth) eating/dog walking?
  • z1ppy

Going down there at the end of the month for week. As we always choose some-where new every holiday, we know nothing at all, about the area. Any recommendation for places to eat (dogs friendly not necessary) & places to walk the dawg’s?

dovebiker

There’s a nice circular walk between Branscombe and Beer  – fish and chips for lunch at Mason’s Arms, Branscombe with covered seating outside. Plenty of nice walking along the coastpath, but expect it’ll be very muddy this time of year. You can walk along the beach but it’s big, loose stones / hard going.

drlex
    Free Member

The Anchor in Beer does a good breakfast to set yourself up for that walk.

ajantom

Just up the road you’ve got the old railway between Sidmouth and Tipton St John. It’s a permissive BW with loads of woods either side to explore (+ some decent cheeky trails 😉)

Starts at the Bowd Inn (decent beers and excellent carvery) and finishes at Tipton. The Golden Lion in Tipton is one of the best local pubs in the area. Nice beers, and excellent locally sourced food.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Park up in Budleigh (Lime kiln cp), walk to Otterton along the cliffs, lunch at the Mill in Otterton, walk back to Budleigh along the river. All dog friendly.

mariner
    Free Member

The Byes is a strip of land between Sidford and Sidmouth. Its a flat walk/ride on a shared path with dog areas.

Salty Monk and Blue Ball in Sidford also has an ace chippy.

In Sidmouth try Dukes down on the sea front.

The Donkey Sanctuary is worth a visit if only for the cafe. Pecorama if you are into model trains.

If you are riding got a some gpx files of local rides. Big hills round here but quiet lanes to Seaton or NT2 to Budleigh/Exemouth.

z1ppy

Thank you all very much, that some great information & nice and local, so no huge trips out, which is just what we want. It’s not a cycling holiday, so thank you for those pointers too but it’s about lazy wind down break with dog walking and eating out.

One thing I would ask, is that I’ve don’t know anything about the East Devon AONB or Black Hills AONB, is there any place we should definitely visit while there, to get a flavour of it? (bearing in mind we only have a week)

ajantom

Woodbury Common (it’s actually 6 or 7 neighbouring commons). Beautiful pebblebed heathland that runs between the Otter river and the Exe estuary. Miles of it to explore.

The whole area up at the head of the Sid river and over to Beer is nice too. Loads of Iron/Bronze age forts and burial mounds, hidden valleys and little hamlets. Worth getting lost!

I’ve never really explored the Blackdowns, but I’ve been meaning to do some of these walks/routes.

http://www.nerochescheme.org/herepath.php

Oh and definitely go walking and fossil hunting at Lyme Regis.

mariner
    Free Member

Fire Beacon Hill up behind Sidford has Dartford Warblers and Nightjars but it might be too early for them.

Longer trip out see Escot website.

Red Squirrel and Wolves.

z1ppy

Cheers!

ajantom

Yup, Escot is nice especially with kids, but no dogs allowed now.

Think it’s because of the new animal enclosures – lynx and wolves. I guess the smell and noise of dogs might upset the animals.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sidford (nr sidmouth) eating/dog walking?’ is closed to new replies.