Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Side effects of 0 Cholesterol?
  • JCornford

I’ve just started to monitor my diet in a bid to shape up and have noticed that I consume virtually no cholesterol, in a whole week I don’t even manage to reach the RDA for 1 day, does anyone know what negative impact this has, or is the RDA the maximum you should have?

molgrips
    Free Member

Your body makes its own cholesterol, it’s not like a vitamin.

iDave
    Free Member

your liver makes it

are you sure you get none in your diet though?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Research HDL and LDL cholesterol.

lipseal
    Free Member

Below 4 is good, get it checked by the doc. I personally wouldn’t go to the chemist or get any online packs.

JCornford

Most days are zero, last week I had some cholesterol input on only 2 days. I’m using Livestrong.com to track my eating habits.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

FYI your liver has to produce around 5 times as much cholesterol as you could normally expect to eat every day. I’m currently reading a book recommended on here last year “The Great Cholesterol Con” by Malcolm Kendrick which states very plausibly that the amount of cholesterol you eat has no effect on blood levels (due to simple negative feedback), cholesterol levels are unrelated to heart disease and higher levels usually correlate with greater life span.

JCornford

Simon does it say anything about not consuming enough?

Spongebob
    Free Member

“The Great Cholesterol Con” by Malcolm Kendrick which states very plausibly that the amount of cholesterol you eat has no effect on blood levels (due to simple negative feedback), cholesterol levels are unrelated to heart disease and higher levels usually correlate with greater life span.

Is Malcolm Kendrick some crazy “quack”, or a respected medical expert?

molgrips
    Free Member

I read that serum cholesterol levels are linked to risk of heart disease, but it is not a causal relationship.

lipseal
    Free Member

LARD! Next. 😯

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simon does it say anything about not consuming enough?

not directly, but your liver produces as much as is needed. It needs to, as cholesterol is used all over your body for various vital functions.

speaker2animals

I think zero cholesterol would probably be followed soon after by zero life signs.

Drac

Is Malcolm Kendrick some crazy “quack”, or a respected medical expert?

I wouldn’t worry at all what he claims is the same any GP will tell you, cholesterol won’t really cause you any trouble unless you have some sort of cardiovascular problems. Of course the problem is we don’t really know if we have any of these until it causes problems. These problems may not have arisen if you’d kept cholesterol low enough.

DrP

Cholesterol IS necessary to make hormones such as testosterone, and others.
    I’ve not read this stuff about “cholesterol ISN’T linked with heart disease” you speak of, but i have read MANY (MANY MANY MANY) papers/research articles linking a direct link between cholesterol levels and cardiovascular risks (Stroke, heart attacks). I’ll believe them and treat my patients accordingly, ta!

DrP

glenh
    Free Member

I like cheese.
    Should I get a cholesterol test?

molgrips
    Free Member

Whatever causes excess cholesterol in the blood is not necessarily linked to cholesterol in the diet, but may be linked to excess saturated fat in the diet.. I think.. am I right?

Jamie
    Free Member

Should I get a cholesterol test?

Cheese you say? Best to call 999 now. I have done just that due to eating alot of eggs.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If they were Creme Eggs you’re probably OK

Jamie
    Free Member

ScottChegg:
    If they were Creme Eggs you’re probably OK

Oh thank god! So it’s just the Diabetes I have to worry about now then.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Side effects of 0 Cholesterol?’ is closed to new replies.