• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Looks like everyone’s had some nice bivi action over the weekend..
    nice pics

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Not everyone 😕 😉

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

No I’ve got to wait to next weekend before I can get out for the first test of everything SDW here we come.. Bet the weathers rubbish now after it being so nice this weekend..

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

It’ll be scorching next weekend ‘cos I’m out too … in fact I shall be out nearly all week 😀

jamest
    Free Member

I really like this thread, it has to be one of the longest running yet! I am really interested in the idea of using the bike and front wheel as a support for tarp, as in Ian bs pics above, Ian do you secure the bike to the ground first?
    Does anyone know when the tiger frame bags are likely to appear? Would love to get one but can’t wait/ afford to go the revelate route….

IanB
    Free Member

James – I don’t secure the bike to the ground first and the tension in the fabric and guy lines holds it in place. A bit tricky to erect to begin with, but perfectly do-able in 5 mins or so. If it was very windy pitch, I would pass the guy line over the top of the wheel, back round under the rim and through the tarp loop again before tightening up against the peg – this would make the bike less likely to slip if the tension in the tarp reduces in a gust. Various ways of doing it – clove hitch is another example.

tiger frame bags – do you mean Wildcat? Things are likely to get rolling again early June, after the Welsh Ride Thing. In the meantime, the email channel is open to get some idea on options/ costs: http://www.singletrackworld.com/members/wildcat

chipps

The trouble with using the bike as an integral part of your shelter is that it can be a right pain if you want to ride to the pub later 🙂

Anyway, here’s my kit for a three week camping trip across the Pyrnees I did a couple of years ago. Not much there…

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2464/3849610321_8f13078ab8.jpg[/img]

Left to right: Epic seat bag which takes 2 green drybags – 1 spare riding gear (one shorts, one jersy, spare socks), 1 evening wear (shorts, belt, pants, long sleeve wool top), flip-flops, silk bag liner, blue bag contains Big Agnes sleeping bag, above is sleep mat, then yellow beanie, arm warmers, pack towel, Haglof Goretex jacket with bungey washing line, phd down vest, glasses, iPod, Garmin and charger, penknifes, spork. Also washbag, lock and little tool kit on bike. Done.

jamest
    Free Member

Oops yes wildcat, not tiger, Cheers for info!

Tiger6791

Things are likely to get rolling again early June, after the Welsh Ride Thing.

Damn, was going to ask about a bar roll for WRT 🙁

IanB
    Free Member

Chipps – you can always pitch the tarp in the beer garden 😉
    Notice you’ve got no cooking stuff there which saves a bit if you can aim for civilisation each night.

Tiger – we’re aiming to do a small run of these in time for the WRT, so don’t worry.

stevemorg2

Ian – I’m not convinced about my Revelate bar roll and having seen stuart’s I may well be up for one if any are available for the WRT

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

It weren’t mine Steve … I was just acting as test monkey 😉

I have to say test results were very favourable and this from a man who owns a Revelate harness.

Dave-j
    Free Member

I have been following this thread for a while now and it has inspired me to go and buy some kit,here a few pics from first night bikepacking overlooking Carnetown.

Photo0091 by dave j2, on Flickr

Photo0090 by dave j2, on Flickr

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Ian Any tube bags on the cards?

flatfish
    Free Member

Tube bags??

Anthony
    Free Member

Here is my different take on the Siltarp set-up. Rain coverage is excellent and provides a nice shape from head to toe. One side goes to the floor for wind protection, the other is raised about a foot for greater coverage and a better view of the surroundings. The fabric is nice and taught which creates a very stable shape.

Like Ian’s, weight is around the 300g mark including decent pegs. With the 2g Terra Nova pegs from my laser comp tent it would be around 230g but useless in anything other than lawn turf!

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Tube bags??

Oh they may not be called that the half frame bags like these
    https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&CategoryID=1&ProductID=5

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Looks like we’ve all had adventures this weekend 😀

slugwash
    Free Member

Just back from last night’s bivi with the kids (my two, Sharki, Si & Shinythings 😉 ) I’m currently trying to remove marshmallow remanents from the fabric of my six year old’s sleeping bag. They’re now banned from further excursions, (kids and marshmallows). The highlight of the trip was all being woken up at 5.30 in the morning by a cuckoo calling from about five feet above our heads 🙂

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Slugwash, Thats brill nothing like a couple of teddy bears to keep you warm.. Would love to take my girls but not sure if they would like it..

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Cracking looking adventure there Slugwash my girls love camping so looking forward to taking them soon, will probably be a walking bivvy rather than bikes though

slugwash
    Free Member

Cheers for the comments guys 🙂

my girls love camping so looking forward to taking them soon, will probably be a walking bivvy rather than bikes though

It’s often easier to transport smaller kids several miles by trailer rather than making them walk and ending up carrying them as well as all the kit. My son (who was cycling) jettisoned his rucksack on the climb out onto Dartmoor and I had to stick it in the back of the trailer. He’d brought along tons of crap that never got used like extra shoes, toiletries and tins of beans. I’ll be implementing draconian baggage charges that would put Ryanair to shame next time he comes along 😉

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I guess your right but my 2 are still little so would be a park up in forestry and a 30 min walk tops into the woods/wherever to give them a taster. 😀

That way if it went tits up we could pack up and be back home pronto 😉

jamest
    Free Member

Nice rigging on your tarp there Anthony, a bit of tensionmakes all the difference! I have the backpacking light duo tarp and may have to try the bike as support method, I usually bivy on foot and using a hammock, however this opens up options for more open (treeless) country or even campsites!

MSP

I just got back from my fist trip. Bit of a cock up, forgot to pack the lighters, so couldn’t boil any water for food & coffee 😳 . Thankfully I had gone a bit overboard on trail mix and energy bars for 2 big days of riding, so was able to survive (with an added visit to a garage on day 2 for snickers bars and some cola).

At least next time I know I can either take less energy bars & trail mix, or leave the cooking stuff at home to really save weight.

MSP

oh and I also learnt that carbon forks don’t take away enough of the clatter for 2 long days riding. another day of that and pron would have been no use to me for weeks.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

No way of making tea!! … I’d have to go home 😉

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I agree Stuart I’d have to start rubbing sticks together to get a brew on 😉

IanB
    Free Member

@stevemorg2 – no problems – will post up some more details this week. We’ve got about 10 fabric blanks with the logo on to turn into harnesses.

@Dave J – didn’t realise Carnetown was comparatively close to me. What tent are you using there?

@Anthony – looks good. I didn’t persevere with that kind of set up as I couldn’t handle the slippy fabric, a wheel a toddler and a cat all at the same time when I was experimenting. I can see the benefit if the conditions are more adverse. Will have to have another go. However, it looks tricky to get right though, and would those be 26″ wheels?

@Bigface – yes, we’re doing partial frame bags. Dubbed the Lynx, they’ll be comparable to the American equivalents. Drop a mail to the wildcat address if you’d like to discuss features/ cost etc.

@slugwash – like the look of that trip. Kudos for taking the kids. Ours are a bit young yet (one nearly 3 years and one four weeks), but would love to get them out into the hills when they’re older.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Dave-j
    Free Member

@IanB, The tent I was using was a Coleman Bedrock,it was a bit heavy at 2.5 kg but I wanted comfort over weight and I did,nt have far to go as I live in Cilfynydd. I bought the tent off Amazon for £28,I found the tent really warm compared to large family tents,I took a load of thermal gear with me and ended up sleeping in shorts.

willard

Not sure if this will be worth it for people, but just saw this on the Aldi special offers: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_18649.htm

Anthony
    Free Member

Good find, although somewhat large for bike duties!

Ian, they are indeed 26″ wheels but I suspect a 29er would still allow enough fabric to play with. It’s actually really easy to rig up, it takes 1 to 2 mins tops and uses 10 pegs as some guys are shared. Once you have got all the guys fixed there is no real danger of wheel slippage unless you boot it by accident.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Chaps, bit of a school boy error…Stu’s got me work email address and Im off this week… If anyone has already got the grid ref email Please can someone forward it to me, Ive got no kids, wifes out for the day and Im home alone, Bring on the route planning!!! 8) scott.manleyATo2.co.uk

Tiger6791

Sent.

I link these grid references a lot 🙂 (cheers Stu, keep repeating, must not sleep in house, must not sleep in house, must not sleep in house,)

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Cheers 😀

DoctorRad
    Free Member

A couple of these just turned up:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310304373027

Look pretty well made, loads of pockets plus rain cover and carry strap for off-bike time. Will try a shakedown on Saturday’s 100km circumnavigation of Brizzle.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Gogledd Cymru it is then da iawn

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I’ve not got the money spare for the Siltarp 6’x8′ and a lot of places are out of staock anyway so for an extra 150grams and a tacky colour I’ve just THIS for under a tenner including delivery

Any good?

flatfish
    Free Member

Ha, are you lot too busy plotting WRT routes to notice 1600 posts.
    Nothing useful to add though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.