• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Congrats on the 1600th post, now Cmon get plotting!!! just plotted all 15 and thats a lot of climbing!!!!!!!

Anthony
    Free Member

Looks fine john, the dpm is only on one side so you can always use it the other way up if you dont like the colour. Its just polythene rather than a coated nylon hence the low price. It’s a good weight for its size and price. Have fun rigging it up:)

Do I take it the wrt grid refs are out in time for the 4 day weekend?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Ha, are you lot too busy plotting WRT routes to notice 1600 posts.
    Nothing useful to add though.

I can’t believe you were lurking to catch the 1600th post 😉

Off to get the maps to start my planning tonight for WRT 😀

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

i’m not able to make it to this year’s wrt. but love to know where it’s all going, so can I be cheeky and ask for the grid refs so I can take a look?

email in profile….. thanks!

🙂

flatfish
    Free Member

Wasn’t lurking, in fact I thought I’d miss it due to the slowness of my iPhone.

Chew
    Free Member

Think i have my route now (no one else in the office), just need to calculate distances and food stops.

*Wonders who has the same route* 😯

Dyffers
    Free Member

Route provisionally planned: all 15 in a day & a half then 24 hours in the pub at Llanbrynmair 😉

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Im not sure how you chaps have done it already I’ve sent most to the day looking at it, Im sure its going to take me about a week before I come up with anything like a route..

Dyffers
    Free Member

Memory map makes it easier – you can zoom right out and get an idea of the overall ‘shape’ of the grid refs.

I’ve got some other stuff to do tomorrow and Saturday, so needed to get it out of my system today.

There’ll be tinkering in the next foew weeks, not least because my leadout man will come up with a completely different route by the end of the weekend (eh Chris?). 😉

Chew
    Free Member

I wouldnt worry about the route too much, as conditions on the ground are very different to the maps. The route I planned for last years WRT and the route I completed were totally different. Part of the fun is making it up as you go along. You’ll probably get lost at some point, so its good to be able to think on your feet.

If you know the ‘shape’ of the grid references you can see which check points are easy to link up, and from there a route will slowly develop. After that its a question of tweaking. I’m not planning on drawing my final route until the week before.

There are plenty of resources on the internet to make your life abit easier, but i’ll leave you to discover them yourself, otherwise i’ll end up spoiling half of your fun. 😉

Tiger6791

Is it wrong to do some pre-WRT scouting?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. my competitive instinct is tempted to beat you all with my own ultra-minimal setup…

Dyffers
    Free Member

The route I planned for last years WRT and the route I completed were totally different.

OS map augmented with a Garmin Etrex on the bars with your ‘perfect’ route loaded means when you diverge from the line you can at least see where you’re supposed to be, and use the map to find the quickest/shortest alternative back on. Has worked for me for 2 1/2 years since I got the Garmin.

Is it wrong to do some pre-WRT scouting?

Do you go and scout your other holiday destinations?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

From someone who did the WRT ast year.

We spent days/hours plotting a great route, after the third check points in the rain, we chose to cut the bottom few out, then when knackered we missed out the last couple as well.

Don’t get het up with the grid refs as they don’t get checked and are filed away in the bin as soon as you hand them over (should I have said that?)

Just plot a great ride in the area and if one or two grid ref’s are nearby then go for them. Don’t go out of your way and get stressed if you don’t do them.

Just go for the ride and adventure. But most of all enjoy it.

IanB
    Free Member

<sensible>
    Chaps, I think WRT route discussion would be better on the WRT thread?
    </sensible>

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Anyone fancy givin me a cheeky look at there route, working on mine but changed me mind about 5 times so far?h

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Good Luck Bigface….. You’ve no chance

paul78
    Free Member

Just got delivery of my new bags so loaded up and ready for some testing..

Revelate Tangle bag
    Cleaveland Mountaineering Saddle bag and Harness
    Mountain Feed bag

Heading out tonight for a little tester and start the refining process before Grenzstein Trophy in June.. and of course hopefully the WRT 🙂

Anthony
    Free Member

Paul that all looks lovely and streamline. The Singular still looks remarkably fast even fully loaded!

My 40yr old Bernina sewing-machine has been out again 🙂 This time a bar-harness, again made from recycled bits and pieces I had knocking around.

It’s designed to hold 2 seperate 3L drybags as I found this to the best use of storage space and it allows the cables to pass nicely between the two. It also includes some stabiliser straps underneath to stop it bouncing around.

thefallguy
    Free Member

You’ve too much time on your hands Anthony!! Marvelous 🙂

valleydaddy
    Free Member

that looks a great idea Anthony, I like the idea of using 2x 3l drybags too.

Yes that Swift does look good, makes me want one even more, shame they are currently out of stock 🙁

slackman99
    Free Member

Evening all,

This is probably going to incur maximum abuse for ‘wild’ camping so close to civilization, but here are a few photos from this weeks first bivvy trip at Gisburn:

Bivvy location, trig point at Whelpstone Crag

With the top of Giburn forest trail in sight (from the trail you could only see the bivvy if you knew what you were looking for)

Coleman Solo pot with F1 Lite Stove

Cooking some chorizo to add to my pasta and sauce

View from in the bivvy

Anthony
    Free Member

I’m loving the little cave you have created that’s ace. I’m bored having been stuck at home this weekend; what’s your full kit list?

willard

Nice little bivvy! Part hobbit are we? *grin*.

Seriosuly though, good skills. It looks like the weather held out for you, but that looks like it would have been dry in even the heaviest downpour.

paul78
    Free Member

Dinner with a view…

Nice little spot at Rookhope.. just off the Sustrans C2C route.

Anthony, one thing you should add to your harness is an additional strap with buckle for strapping jackets etc to … wish I had thought of it before I had mine made but made sense today

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Heads up folks – Someone’s selling an Alpkit Rig 7 on Bushcraftuk.com for £30

valleydaddy
    Free Member

some more great pics there fellas 😀

Was in the garden today building brownie points for the next adventure 😀

Anthony
    Free Member

Cheers Paul, yup I had thought of that but because of my design it’s kept as a loose strap to thread underneath after. It couldn’t be sewn on or it meant taking the stem faceplate off in order to feed the main straps round the bars. I’m tempted to add on a small camera type pouch to the front for quick access kit, like sweets 🙂

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Anthony – Member
    Here is my different take on the Siltarp set-up. Rain coverage is excellent and provides a nice shape from head to toe. One side goes to the floor for wind protection, the other is raised about a foot for greater coverage and a better view of the surroundings. The fabric is nice and taught which creates a very stable shape.

Thanks for the above Antony for the above idea I’ve ripped off on a budget.
    Using this 6’x8′ tarp for less than a tenner including postage off ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-x-8-CAMOUFLAGE-TARPAULIN-DPM-BASHA-BIVOUAC-CAMO-TARP-/380305179245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item588bf4826d

and with 6 pegs and guy ropes I had kicking around brought the weight in at 0.97lbs including the bag.

Thanks

Anthony
    Free Member

Looks great John and a respectable weight all up. Photo looks ace, if you hadn’t put the neoair in there I would have struggled to get a sense of scale with those mahoosive wheels!

Tiger6791

Surely the pack size will be huge? even if it’s light?

willard

Could do with a bit of feed on the lawn too…

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Tiger6791 – Member
    Surely the pack size will be huge? even if it’s light?

No, it folds down to about 6″ x 4″ x 2″

Posted 2 hours ago # willard – Member
    Could do with a bit of feed on the lawn too…

I’ve just been laid and needs the rain as we’re on a water meter [tightarseicon]

IanB
    Free Member

I’ve just been laid

😯

Anthony
    Free Member

[Tightarseicon]

😯

Tiger6791

eds the rain as we

😯

IanB
    Free Member

Have decided to sell my Rab Quantum 200 sleeping bag. Anyone interested in a lightweight bag (520g) rated down to about 5 degrees?

valleydaddy
    Free Member
    AJ
    Free Member

bikey

Home made bags

off for 5 days around knoydart tomorrow. I’ve got 5kg of food and I’m scared 150km 4500-5000m of up,

I hope I don’t catch fire as half the west seems to on fire.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Nice set up AJ have a good trip and don’t forget to post some pics when you get back 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.