• This topic has 47 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Show me your tool walls
  • bikerevivesheffield

Bike specific tools would be amazing – how are you hanging/fixing tools to the tool wall?
    I’ve just been drilling out a piece of wood for my Wera hex and torx keys as they have the plastic sheath that makes them over size.

Spring clips for screw drivers?

What about thins like hack saw/headset press etc?

bikerevivesheffield

looks good

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve a 5×4 foot wall of ply with tools mostly hanging from nails and screws.

garage-dweller

I used to have a plastic beg board thing with loads of different hooks and rings etc. It was really versatile.

I’m working towards turning the floor space of my workshop/cabin/shed space into a nicer environment to play guitar and do Airfix/hobby stuff in so ended up completely reshelving it, removing the fixed workbench etc. The tool wall was 8*2 feet and it dominated one whole wall so had to go in favour of a mechanic tool chest which I’m really liking.

i_like_food

I had a big piece of ply in my old garage with screws in just the right places. In my new garage I thought I’d treat myself to a ‘proper’ metal tool board and hooks.

Wish I hadn’t.

Much more expensive. Less flexible in terms of where you out stuff. Generally just annoying.

Get a big bit of ply, lay it on the floor,spread your tools out and draw round them with Sharpie. Insert screws. Hang on wall. Hang tools. Done.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Most tool board are an ergonomic night mare.
    The photos above work to confirm that that.

The best I’ve used was a full height top to bottom shadow board with only the most common tools used behind the work stand. Everything in arms reach of the worker sat on the seat.

Was ace.

My tools live in a tool box as I am not doing the same repetitive tasks day in day out any more so have no need for such a set up -its more aukward for almost any other method of working

fettlin

The tool board works and can be useful, but i found all the crap and dust from working in the garage lands on the tools and makes a mess! PITA  if you don’t use them regularly.

Foam inserts in a tool box ftw.

bikerevivesheffield

@trail_rat mine is for my new workshop where I’ll be doing the same diets of jobs each day, so Allen wrenches, spanners, sockets, screw drivers, BB tools need to be at easy reach

sharkattack

I bought a couple of cheap magnetic knife holders from Ebay and screwed them onto the osb wall. It’s enough to hold most of my smaller bike specific stuff like cassette tools, spoke wrenches, chain whips, allen keys etc.

They work so well that I’m planning to buy another two and then everything small and lightweight that would get lost in a tool box will be visible and easy to grab.

Everything substantial is in a Halfords cabinet.

Poopscoop

Oh man, I’m definitely tool wall shamed in this thread.

jkomo

I have my T handle hex keys and a few bits hanging up on a sheet of ply with screws in.
    Everything else is in an unrolled tool roll hanging up, ready to be rolled up to go on adventures.

bikerevivesheffield

IMG-20201128-132835903
    IMG-20201128-143256452
    hzth9gcreate image url
    This was the afternoon sorted Today

dirkpitt74

Garage envy!
    I really need to sort a tool wall out.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m going through the thought process of this for my new bike shed/workshop at the moment.

My tools for bigger, more occasional, jobs will live in the drawers of a tool chest. That way they’re protected from dirty and dust, and I don’t need to grab something like a bottom bracket tool quickly in the middle of something else.

Generic tools like allen keys and screwdrivers will go on the wall in view and easy reach.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Not a good shot but may be helpful…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kbBi2n]workshop1[/url] by RGasket, on Flickr

rossburton
    Free Member

Wow, that is awesome. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah but the tool wall is just that little bit on the right hand side. The rest of it is just showing off 😉 #garageenvy

trail_rat
    Free Member

Looks a good domestic garage lay out though everything has a place and protected from dirt and moisture.

Tool walls behind benches just don’t work for me unless it’s a set of specific tools at a specific bench for a specific job.

I am building an annex 2.5m wide at one end down to 1m at other end 7.4m long with access onto my garage atm accessed through knocking the window out into a door space and just deciding what to do with it………..make it a workspace or a bike storage space and keep my current work space.

Garage envy with Reggie gasket…..can we get a picture with today’s news paper in shot 😉

stumpyjon

Tool Wall

Tool wall 2

Showing Off

Wall of Lego

trail_rat
    Free Member

My garage has never looked like that stumpyjon. Even when it was empty it wasn’t that clean haha

stumpyjon

I must admit I did give it a bit of a wipe before taking the pics, the bonus of of having hot running water.

wingnuts

I’ll have to learn how to get photos up as I’m doing the same here. However in general it does strike me that there isn’t enough stuff in those pictures. Where is the split box of screws the fridge of beer, the wheel with the puncture that needs sorting and the broken saucepan lid handle the wife has just plonked in front of you? Or are the workshops of Singletrack inhabited by psychoticly neat people?

DezB
    Free Member

Or are the workshops of Singletrack inhabited by psychoticly neat people

No, just the ones who post photos!

Stumpyjon shares his garage with a child?? 😳

stumpyjon

Nope, his Lego is in his bedroom.

feed

It was all looking so good , right up until the “Lego wall”

joshvegas
    Free Member

Lego hasn’t taught stumpyjon about deflection i see.

fingerbang
    Free Member

@stumpyjon never seen a Belfast sink in a garage before, that’s a pure undiluted STWism. And the largest concentration of clamps possibly in the world

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

some nice setups on show (show-off!?) there

but

myself I have always avoided a tool wall… if you genuinely do the same jobs at the same bench all the time (which I never have) then it is worth it, otherwise it is a dust trap.

tool chests of some description are probably far superior for the rest of us, they keep things out of the reach of dust and condensation

richmtb

Not as impressive as some of the others

I use magnetic holders for mine.

I’ve got a tool box with foam inserts for tools I use less often but want to keep in order

rossburton
    Free Member

Mine looks more like richmtb’s than the others here… Double the height but the same combination of screw drivers, pliers, hammers, bike tools, saws, mallets, wrenches…

Currently getting bored of cleaning the wall when I make a mess with the saw and might just invest in a tool cabinet, leaving the wall for the large things like saws.

weeksy

Thanks to this thread i’ve re-arranged mine and moved many of the bicycle tools from the left to the main workbench wall. It’s stuff i use more often, so makes sense to have it in the nearest location.

stumpyjon

Lego hasn’t taught stumpyjon about deflection i see.

Yes, I only noticed that last week, a bit of bracing underneath is in order. I didn’t think 18mm ply would do that.

@stumpyjon never seen a Belfast sink in a garage before, that’s a pure undiluted STWism.

@fingerbang
    the really clever bit is the second Belfast sync on the other side of the wall outside with hot and cold running water. Now that is peak STW. I inherited most of the clamps from my father inlaw, they were solid rust so I cleaned them up, they are part homage to him (he was a builder / joiner.

otherwise it is a dust trap.

This is very true, hence most of my tools and storage is kitchen units and doors, even the Lin bins have a roll down front (rescued from some filing cabinets work were chucking), unfortunately I often forget to close them when doing a dusty job. A good Vac easily accessible is a must.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Huge tool wall

trump

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Garage envy with Reggie gasket…..can we get a picture with today’s news paper in shot

Will post later 😉

weeksy

A good Vac easily accessible is a must

I have a James/Henry that lives full time in the garage. I also don’t do any dusty jobs in there.

andybrad

like stumpyjons a lot

DezB
    Free Member

Also use magnetic holders –

(doesn’t look as embarrassing as I expected 😀 )

But I’m a disorganised scruffbag, so most frequently used tools just sit in a random couple of storage boxes near to the bike stand. What’s the opposite to showing off?

Still haven’t got over that Lego. Bizarre 😛

stumpyjon

Still haven’t got over that Lego. Bizarre 😛

You obviously haven’t been over in the Lego thread. Google AFOL (it should be safe for work). The Lego in those boxes is worth more than my 4 bikes by a factor of 3.

footflaps

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Not a good shot but may be helpful…

Are all those tool drawers actually full?

I can’t imagine having that many small tools etc to stick in drawers…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Show me your tool walls’ is closed to new replies.