Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Should I buy North Face again?
  • dmorts

Probably going to need to buy a new (non-cycling) jacket/coat soon. I’ve been a fan of the North Face tri-climate jackets, the ones where there is a fleece you can zip in and out. I’ve had two and worn them all year round.

The first I had I bought in 2006 for around £100 (quite heavily discounted). It lasted many years as a day to day jacket and also did an entire ski season! I still have it and was until recently was my MTB jacket for inclement weather.
    The second I think I bought in 2011 or 2012, this was about £90 (again discounted). In comparison it’s not been anywhere near as good in lasting.

So based on the first experience I’d buy North Face again, but based on the second I’d be tempted to look elsewhere. Maybe I just need to make sure I buy one that’s not just the base model (as I think the second one is)

Also with my first jacket, few people wore North Face jackets. Shortly after buying the second I realised every man, women and child had North Face jackets…..mainly the black cheap ones

So, stick with North Face or try something else?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i bought their mtb shorts and liner and their windstopper (and pretty good in rain too, though they don’t claim it should be) softshell riding jacket with zip off sleeves about 4 years ago, and they’ve both been excellent… i would buy their stuff again in a heartbeat

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My current ActiveShell NF jacket seems pretty decent and the paclite ones I had before as well – notwithstanding that paclite and active shell is fragile and wears out if you carry bags over it, etc.

The NF paclite trousers I have are also good and have lasted a long time.

My Goretex Proshell jacket also seems pretty good and has lasted a fair while now, and has survived a decent impact crash a few years ago when rear ended on the bike by a merc A class.

And my NF fleeces also seem OK.

But I did have a yellow/black goretex NF jacket from ages ago which didn’t last well.

I think higher end NF stuff it good, and better value than the ‘prestige’ brands, the problem will be if they now regard that triclimate range as consumer product, which I think they might do.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

TNF has always been slightly suspect in my experience. Back in my youth I worked in an outdoor shop and saw a lot of returned TNF jackets. My very own TNF waterproof leaked badly where the badge was embroided on. I got a bit bored of packing them up and sending them back to the distributor.

This was a long time ago, possibly a bad period for quality control, and your experience may be better, but I mention it because they do seem to be more prevalent in the consumer end of the market now rather than the performance end, so I’d expect things to be worse not better.

footflaps

They make a whole range of stuff, from cheap fashion wear to high quality mountaineering kit. Their top end stuff is excellent and on a par with any of the top brands (but generally better value).

dmorts

I think I might choose carefully then…

edhornby

I’ve got a shell jacket of theirs from one of the outdoor shops in Manchester but I’m not convinced by it’s ability to withstand a really hard downpour, it seems to soak rather than bounce the rain off – mind you I have had it a couple of years so it may just be EOL but if it is I’m getting something else next time

stilltortoise
    Free Member

it seems to soak rather than bounce the rain off

I have had it a couple of years

Have you ever reproofed the outer face fabric?

Del

sounds like that just wants nikwax treatment Ed.

benp1

Just like lots of brand, they have generic stuff for high street use, and more technical stuff that genuinely works

Same as Berghaus

I’d happily buy their stuff

matt_outandabout

If you are spending on a new jacket, have a look round for good deals – there are some stonking deals to be had.

£79.99 for a ME Valkyrie Gore Pro-Shell jacket here last week from Rough Gear -RRP £250….

footflaps

mind you I have had it a couple of years so it may just be EOL but if it is I’m getting something else next time

I have had GoreTex jackets 10+ years old which are still 100% waterproof.

loddrik
    Free Member

Only ever wear their Summit Series stuff which is always cracking stuff.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy North Face again?’ is closed to new replies.