Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Should a Cassette wobble when it’s on the carrier
  • Daffy

Right, Cassette on the freehub body/alloy carrier, there’s a slight amount of play in it.

Is this Normal, yes the locking is tight.

bomberman
    Free Member

more likely to be play in the freehub. take the cassette off and give the freehub a wobble

Potdog
    Free Member

I had that a while ago. I discovered it due to crappy shifting which I just couldn’t seem to sort out.

Took it to bits and found it was the freehub that was loose. Although it fell to pieces quite dramatically when I tried to nip it up a bit. It had done a bit over 4 years without being touched though.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Make and Model?

Smiler problem with my DT hub was caused by worn bearings

Daffy

I discovered it due to crappy shifting which I just couldn’t seem to sort out.

That’s what led me to it.

Its a Hope XC3 rear hub and an M770 XT cassette.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The answer is, no, there shouldn’t be any wobble, and if there is it usually means worn freehub. I check mine every few weeks. With a Hope hub it’s best to replace the bearings as soon as any play develops, as if you leave it too long, the bearings may collapse, making removing the outer race of the inner bearing VERY difficult, as there’s hardly anything left to hit 🙁

Daffy

JD cycles say it’s nothing to worry about….. 😕

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

As sfb says,if its a hope hub well worth getting it sorted,the freehub springs are prone to breaking as well (has it stopped clicking?) so its a good idea to get everything serviced if theres any movement in the bearings.

i have wreacked the odd alloy free hub carrier in the past,possibly due to a pawl/spring breaking and seizing things up inside. 😥

looking after them is key to reliability. 😉

rickmeister

I have a bit of play on a Mavic freehub… any tips?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

make sure you fix it before it gets too bad or the bearings may end up looking like this ! this is the two bearings from the freehub body

Just stripped down a mates Pro II rear wheel to find this, and its made a right mess of the alu freehub body from being ridden with a knackered bearing in it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Should a Cassette wobble when it’s on the carrier’ is closed to new replies.