Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Short term car lease or long term car hire? (11 weeks)
  • woollybackpaul
    Free Member

We’ve a new car on order but there’ll be about an 11 week gap between the current one going back and the new one being delivered.

We need a cheap runaround in the meantime, anyone been in the same predicament?

Did you hire or lease? Any recommendations for companies?

Cheers!

wombat

Buy a 2nd hand one for a few hundred quid..
    Sell it when you get your new one.
    It’s unlikely to cost you more that £50 in depreciation ans you can roll over the insurance from you old one and new one.

Rich_s

Have you asked the current company if they’ll extend?

oldtennisshoes

Hire companies tend not to like rentals longer than 3 weeks, so you may need to flip it a few times. I’d buy a banger stop gap.

bruneep

Have you asked the current company if they’ll extend?

This, did it with my last car, just call when you are ready to end lease

andrewreay

I’d try extension first.

Or see if lease co can put you in something else for the period. Maybe someone else’s early termination.

If not, then just go banger. Rental likely to be hassle: mileage restrictions; max loan periods; damage etc etc

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

If you’re in London I have a nice 1 family owned BMW 318 Ci Auto 1999 with 51000 miles it’s yours or anyone else’s for £900.00

That’ll see you out of your predicament!

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Already tried to extend the deal on the current car but Mini flatly refusing to any extension.

And bangernomics isn’t the answer as my other half will be ferrying our two young girls around so we need something reliable and safe.

andrewreay

It’s your new car a Mini or BM?

If so, I’d definitely go back to them and try and extend on the basis you have a new order.

If not BM, and you want a new car, try Thrifty. They are linked to BM I think, so may be able to offer some ideas / deals that will get you into a car.

tmb467
    Free Member

Avis do a 28 day lease – renewable on demand

Depending on vehicle selected, you can get their business team to set up a price (between 400 / 500 per month

Question then is whether you stick it through your company or pay direct. For me, it beat a lease because I can stop / start it whenever I want

simon_g

Hire companies tend not to like rentals longer than 3 weeks, so you may need to flip it a few times. I’d buy a banger stop gap.

All the major firms can do longer term hires, but tend to have separate teams managing them so you need to call up to arrange. Depending on how long you have it, you may need to swap part way because they often have low maximum mileages on the car before it goes back – usually to the manufacturer to be low mileage “approved used” stock.

Saw this too, may be interesting: https://www.joindrover.com/ Monthly rolling contract “everything included” car ownership. They go to cars a couple of years old so may be better value than the hire companies.

chakaping
    Free Member

And bangernomics isn’t the answer as my other half will be ferrying our two young girls around so we need something reliable and safe.

Obviously you know what you want, but plenty of us use 10-year-old cars to drive our families around safely and reliably.

I’d look at spending £1k to £1.5k on a nice car with a known history and selling it for similar money.

sepultura
    Free Member

Extend current lease if possible.

Where you are going to get a new 11 week lease from?

sepultura
    Free Member

I’d look at spending £1k to £1.5k on a nice car with a known history and selling it for similar money.

Great idea. Compromise the safety of your family, but you save a bit of cash.

simon_g

To be fair, something like an early C1/Aygo is a solid 4-star EuroNCAP car, for adult and child occupants. I’d be happy to run my kids about in one for a couple of months – spend £1500 or so on one and sell for not a lot less in 3 months.

cookeaa

You know ten year old cars aren’t actually that much less safe than shiny new ones they’re just not as shiny or new.
    It certainly won’t murder your loved ones to bits if you just drive them round town in one for a couple of months, you could just try driving a stop-gap banger you know, more carefully. I suppose it comes doewn to how many severe collisions were you planning to have in the next few weeks…

Of course there is the chance the neighbours will see it on the drive so you’d probably best park it round the corner…

Nico
    Free Member

Ah good. Somebody has thought of the children.

nickdavies

Wow, that’s a very STW quote right there. I’m sure plenty of people carry on running their families around safely in £1000 cars because that’s all they can afford without compromising their safety, or their financial security.

tomhoward

10 year old cars round here have a name, you know.

Minicabs. I had no idea all the people they carried were but moments from death…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Short term car lease or long term car hire? (11 weeks)’ is closed to new replies.