Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Short Dropper Post
  • gribble
    Free Member

My wife has a medium Specialized Camber. The seat tube can only take 21 cm of post and she only needs about 10 to 15 cm of post from the seat tube, maximum.

The tube is 30.9 – what dropper could work? Not desperate for a remote, but I have one and think they are better. Heard mixed reviews on the KS posts that have no remote.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

My OH had exactly this situation (on the same frame, no less!) – she used a KS i950r in 300mm length with a 75mm drop. Not sure how easy they’ll be to find, mind..

dirkpitt74

Internal or external routed?

Brand-X do an internal 80mm drop 27.2 and Trans-X (bike-discount.de) do an external version.

If you want internal PM me as I have a spare 80mm 27.2.

Tracey

Specialized command post. The small frame had a 100mm dropper and the medium and above had 125mm dropper. They come in internal and external routing and don’t need much maintenance. Running them on all our bikes.

mark90
    Free Member

For reference I have a 100mm drop TransX post here, 21cm from bottom of collar to end of cable mechanism (still needs clearance for the cable routing), and 16cm from bottom of collar to bottom of seat rails. So guess this will be a little too long.

Tracey

Medium camber with external command post. The dropper would go all the way into the frame up to the collar.

sam_underhill

KS posts work great. They have full dimensions on their website, so you can check if it’ll fit. The 100mm posts are about the shortest amongst their competition, having done a bunch of research for my wife.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks for all the leads everybody. I am trying to get something on a budget (apologies I did not specify), so may look at the KS posts.

75mm of travel does seem ridiculous on the smallest models, but if it makes the difference I think it will be worth it. The standard post is slammed in the frame but just does not go quite low enough I think.

Tracey

What’s your budget and what is fitted at the moment.

This may do what you need

h://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-specialized-command-post-ircc-30-9-75mm-travel/263713493258?hash=item3d668c910a:g:a0QAAOSw0g1ak8Ah

toby

My other half had a similar problem and went for a Specialized Command Post in a 75mm drop. Just been and measured it and extended it’s 145mm from the saddle rails to the start of the bulge on the post section (i.e. the furthest you could put it into the frame).

thepurist

Mrs P had asimilar problem on a small Zesty – seat post length above the seat tube wasn’t enough for a big dropper so she ended up with a 75mm Command Post which has done the trick.  Think I got it from one of the german shops.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks all. I like the look of the Specialized (and generally think their stuff works well).

Unfortunately my budget is as little as possible. The post on the bike is as fitted from the shop (300mm+ fixed layback post) – the bike was a birthday present to her and it is a step above what she had before, so she is not used to the £££ outlay.

I think the basic KS might be the ticket – Bikester do it with discount for circa £117, which seem ok. If I am honest, the thought of doing the internal cable routing is making me lean towards the lazy install basic lever under the seat type!

enigmas
    Free Member

IME the specialized posts are shite, had all sorts of issues with it from leaking air, to seizing mid ride. And that’s without the supersonic return speed and lack of infinite drop.

One up’s dropper has the lowest stack height of any on the market by a fair margin and aren’t outrageously priced. I’ve had good luck with brand x and ks posts as well.

dai3015
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new KS Super Natural 30.9 300mm total length 75mm drop that I can sell

It doesn’t come with a remote but is unused and I’d be happy to let it go for £70 delivered if you’re interested? It is externally routed. I’ve got the same one currently fitted but it has the under seat lever instead – it’s a good reliable post

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks for all the inputs; went KS drop zone in 75mm, with no remote. Hopefully it does the job.

joshvegas
    Free Member

don’t laze out on the under saddle lever.

I have one  it works fine but sometimes you don’t want the saddle up but can’t afford to lift your hands.

As i can cope with it up i tend to just use  it like an easy way to drop it at the start of a descent.

Edit: ehrm… I still like it and won’t replace until it breaks!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Short Dropper Post’ is closed to new replies.