• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Shop Not Replying To Emails About Refund
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I ordered a new frame and some components from an online retailer on 1st June and was told that the frame was out of stock. The order was accepted and they accepted my payment through Paypal. The retailer are based in Europe rather than the UK.

On the 3rd June I emailed them asking them to cancel the order, they replied asking if I was sure as they would have one in stock, I replied confirming that I’d like the order to be cancelled.

I didn’t get any further reply from them until the following morning when I was sent an email saying that the preparation of my order was in progress. I emailed them to ask for confirmation that it had been cancelled but got no reply.
    On the 5th June I got an email telling me that the order had been dispatched so again I emailed them asking for confirmation of what was happening with the order, again no reply.
    They’ve since sent me the tracking details for the order but it tells me that the collection by the courier failed as the item was not ready to collect. Yet again I’ve emailed them requesting clarification of what’s going on but no response again.

I’m struggling to decide what to do, do I just wait and see what happens or do I get on to Paypal and open a dispute as the retailer aren’t replying to my messages?
    It wouldn’t be so bad if it was only for a few pounds but the order was over £1100 so it’s not the kind of money I’d be happy to lose or be tied up for a long time while the shop sort it out!

Any suggestions?

jekkyl

If only there was some sort of communication device where you could literally talk to the shop owner!

FuzzyWuzzy

Call them if they have a number otherwise just wait for it to arrive and tell them to collect it at their expense. Bit early to start a dispute IMO

wwaswas

where you could literally talk to the shop owner!

Given my complete lack of fluency in any other European language I’d be a bit reluctant to phone somehwere that I wasn’t sure would end up with an English speaker at the end of the line. For £1100 I might just risk it though.

stevied
    Free Member

Most shops will have someone who c an speak english. Have you tried to phone?

bencooper
    Free Member

European companies will almost certainly have someone who speaks English – it may well just be a communication thing, they don’t understand that you still want to cancel.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

If I had a phone number for the shop, I’d call them.
    As I don’t, I can’t.

honourablegeorge

PayPal dispute for me.

stevied
    Free Member

Why not put the name of the shop? Someone may have a number for them.

br
    Free Member

If I had a phone number for the shop, I’d call them.

Hmm, so you bought a frame from a website in another country, that doesn’t have a contact us telephone number 🙄

jekkyl

If only there was some sort of Internet search engine where you could literally find out the phone number of any business in the world!

brant
    Free Member

I ordered a new frame and some components from an online retailer on 1st June and was told that the frame was out of stock. The order was accepted and they accepted my payment through Paypal. The retailer are based in Europe rather than the UK.

phew.

composite
    Free Member

brant – Member

phew.

😆

gonzy
    Free Member

antigee

brant – Member

phew.

remember geography isn’t everyone’s strongpoint 😆

Sancho
    Free Member

why do people make things hard for themselves?
    cant speak the language, is there something wrong with dealing with a UK company?
    I know price is the key factor, but when does it become too much of a ballache to just go local (figuratively)

bencooper
    Free Member

As a general question (not to the OP) I sometimes find people cancelling orders right away – why? Presumably they’ve spent ages thinking about, reading reviews of, speccing and dreaming of their perfect bike before they order it – but occasionally I get an order, I reply with the usual “Thanks for the order, I’ll get right on it, it’s taking the usual 4 weeks right now” email, and they reply “I wanted it now, please cancel the order”

It’s not like they can get the bike, or anything like it elsewhere, and I put predicted delivery times on my website. So is it buyer’s remorse? Has their carer found them buying stuff online again? (Don’t laugh, it’s happened)

Worst was one person who would phone up, asking if I had a specific Brompton model in stock. “No, but I can order it for you, it’ll take about 6 weeks to arrive” “I’ll leave it then”. A month or two later, he’d phone up asking exactly the same question. I did try explaining that, if he’d placed the order the first time he called, he’d have the bike by now, but he just didn’t get it. This carried on for several years.

andytherocketeer

strange. out of stock on 1st, with probably no staff processing orders till monday 3rd but then dispatched on 5th. that’s pretty good service imho 😉

1st/2nd was end of a long weekend in many countries, so probably catching up on 4 days’ worth of emails.

All of the German stores I’ve used definitely have English speaking staff (and several other languages too). I’d guess the same is true of stores in other nations.

DrP

This carried on for several years.

Brilliant!

DrP

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Shop Not Replying To Emails About Refund’ is closed to new replies.