Home Forums Bike Forum Shimano XT HG95 VS Wippermann 10S8 10 speed chain? Shimano cassette.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano XT HG95 VS Wippermann 10S8 10 speed chain? Shimano cassette.
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Need a new chain as my old Wippermann 10S8 is close to worn out, got an XT 11-32 cassette, been happy with the Wippermann, but now it’s quite noisy (could be the chainring).

Should I try a XT chain instead (designed for the cassette, and with sil-tec) or stick with Wippermann? Concerned about chains snapping, but also want a quiet drivetrain and smooth shifting, where shimano + shimano seems optimal.

I would use the connex link with the shimano chain.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go XT over Wipperman, personally. Not even close.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Why not?

simondbarnes

Shimano chain every time.

endomick
    Free Member

If you’ve worn out your chain what about your cassette, isn’t it recommended the replace both at the same time. I’ve got an unused wipperman 10SX stainless, still in its packaging, I’ve also got a barely used XT 771 cassette 11/34 to sell after moving to 11sp. Will stick both on ebay for £45. I’ve also got a used 10SX with loads of life left in it.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Cassette looks ok, most replace chains more often than cassette, with the XT 771 i can replace the 4 smallest sprockets which are all I use basically.

I’m in Germany though so not sure it’d be worth it with shipping, keen to try the XT one.

According to this independent test Wipperman is basically the same as Shimano re longevity, but worse value and perhaps shifting

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/chaintesting/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT HG95 VS Wippermann 10S8 10 speed chain? Shimano cassette.’ is closed to new replies.