Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano XT brake help
  • marco
    Free Member

Hi guys
    I had to buy a new XT right hand brake lever assembly after I crashed and damaged my other. When I replace it do I need to bleed the system or just top up the reservoir on the lever?
    The brakes are working ok, its just cosmetic damage really but the lever is bent and I had to change it!!

nickjb
    Free Member

If you do it carefully (ie don’t disturb the hose too much) then you might get away with just a top up. Tbh bleeding is easy so I’d probably do that anyway while I had the fluid and tools to hand.

robhughes
    Free Member

As above.Just give them a quick one while your at it.

marco
    Free Member

I agree but it means having to buy mineral oil etc. Might try top up 1st
    Cheers

chrisdw
    Free Member

The levers will come without any oil in I assume. You will struggle to fill every gap of the lever with oil without doing a full bleed. Give it a go, but you will almost certainly need to bleed it.

lightning
    Free Member

My bike was fitted with Deore levers.

I bought some XT ones and just changed them over, l filled the new lever assembly with oil as best as l could, then screwed the cable on.

After that l fitted the Shimano bleed tool to the resevoir (with some brake fluid in it) and operated the lever a few times, until no more air bubbles came out.

The brakes work perfectly, not spongy and lever travel is fine.

robarnold
    Free Member

The new lever and master cylinder comes filled with mineral oil and sealed with a sticky thing with a tab. The hose should be virtually full to the end of the barb if you’re careful so all being well it shouldn’t need a bleed.

It isn’t simple to just ‘top up’ the New shape Shinano systems as you need the bleed funnel ideally

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

You will need to bleed in my experience. When I bought a new SLX brake lever assembly it wasn’t filled with any fluid, it was completely dry.

Simply attach your new lever and push some fluid through the calliper to fill the lever. Should be fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT brake help’ is closed to new replies.