Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano TL-BH62 Disc Brake Hose Cutting & Insert Tool alternatives?
  • Houns

First time using shimano brake hardware, will possibly need to shorten hoses at some point. Do I need this specific tool? If so are there any (much) cheaper alternatives to look at?

thepurist

Normal cable outer snips and some small pliers worked for me a couple of years ago and my brakes haven’t exploded yet.

Kahurangi

I’ve never used that.

Normally you get a yellow split block that allows you to clamp on the outside of the hose while you tap the insert in with a hammer, having done a good straight cut with a sharp knife.

I may be missing some complexity of up to date brake systems but that’s how I’ve always done it in the past!

Houns

I’ve got cable/hose cutters, just thinking about inserting the gubbins into the hose end.

a11y

Normally you get a yellow split block that allows you to clamp on the outside of the hose while you tap the insert in with a hammer, having done a good straight cut with a sharp knife.

Exactly what I do and haven’t died yet. Mole grips for a firm grip on the yellow blocks while you tap in the insert with a BFH.

Houns

Thanks all, StuE that looks just the job, (I’ve also just seen a jagwire version) I’ll get one ordered. Ta

reeksy

I don’t even use that, just snips and push the insert against the bench.

nixie

I have a basic hose cutter now as it is just cleaner, easier and was not that much to buy. Before I’d clamp in yellow blocks then use a fresh Stanley knife blade to cut with the yellow blocks acting as a guide. As above for barb insertion though one clamped in the blocks I tend to push the barb in my holding the blocks (or thing clamping them) and pushing the barb against a flat surface.

Cable cutters tend to crush the hose a little. Works but the cut is not as clean as a razor bladed tool or Stanley knife.

letmetalktomark

The Jagwire insert tool “thingy” is an absolute must. I bought one recently having borrowed a friends and its a tool that instantly made we query “why don’t I already have one of these”!

A proper hose cutter is worth it too.

I’ve got one of these:

Hydraulic Brake Hose Cutter

Wrestling with those yellow blocks is a horrible task especially if you are trying to get away without bleeding.

snotrag

Cut the hose with a fresh, new stanley blade, gives you a perfect slice through and doesnt fray the fibres in the casing. The little yellow clamp blocks work great in a vice, or if you havent a vice then clamped in some vice grips.

Never use any type of cutter, tin snips or shears that use a ‘scissor’ style two bladed action – thats how you end up with a wonky cut (Note how a proper hose cutter such as the link aboe only uses a single blade).

The insert you can just push or tap in against any hard surface. Remember to put the olive on first!

scotroutes

The insert you can just push or tap in against any hard surface. Remember to put the olive on first!

This. I’ve never needed to use a specific tool.

dyna-ti

This. I’ve never needed to use a specific tool.

Ditto. After cutting the hose dead square, i initially put the insert in then tap it home using a soft faced mallet.

I’ve a woodworking thing called a mitre trimmer i use to cut the hose, just basically because i already have it and dont see the point of buying something else. Does the job.

Remember to put the olive on first!

Outer sleeve/shroud first, then the olive 😉

bfw

I did buy one.  It is good.  I found one quite a bit cheaper overseas

wheelsonfire1

The Jagwire cutter is excellent, a slicing action with a clean finish. The Jagwire tool for inserting, well inserts, is also excellent. There are other methods which can be used but if you’re trying to shorten a hose, replace a calliper or lever then these tools allow the minimum disturbance and often bleed free alterations. They are reasonably cheap, they work, they make life easier!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.