• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by geex.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano STEPS – Speed Issue
  • shuhockey
    Free Member

Brought a 20inch wheel ebike (Orbea Katu-e 40 2017 ex-display) from Bath and I’m in Sheffield

First ride (Commute) and it looks like the speed on the STEPS computer is way faster than the actual speed I’m travelling. This means that the motor cuts off at about 10mph, as it thinks its doing 15mph. The distance was about 14km when I know its only 9km.

I’ve had a look at the manual and dealer manual and can’t see anything on how to solve the problem. Anyone got any ideas?

tomhoward

Can you set the wheel circumference on the speedo?

otsdr
    Free Member

Place another magnet or two on the rear spokes?

l.e. Nevermind, that wouldn’t help here. You could relocate the speed sensor somewhere near the bottom of the motor, then add magnets to the chainguard, as this reddit post mentions: https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/7nc8u5/i_unlocked_manipulated_the_speed_limit_on_shimano/

shuhockey
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like you can set the wheel circumference on the computer?

Not looking at manipulating the speedo, just want it to show the correct speed at the moment, as I’m sure it must do on most other bikes.

otsdr
    Free Member

The wheel circumference is definitely configurable, just not user configurable (otherwise people would just circumvent the 25kph limit). This means a trip back to the dealer, at least.

cookeaa

Steps you say?

BigJohn

What happens if you take the magnet off the spokes?  Mrs BigJohn has got a Giant Dirt E and I’m tempted to find out.

geex
    Free Member

If you remove the wheel magnet on E8000 you’ll get an error code on the display and the motor will need to  be turned off and back on again to reset

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano STEPS – Speed Issue’ is closed to new replies.