Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano SPD pedals – differences in models
  • julioflo
    Free Member

Need some replacement SPD’s.
    What is the difference between the various shimano models M520, M540 and M780? Other price I can see that the M780’s look like the M540’s but have XT written on them, and the M540’s have a more slender spindle than the M520’s….
    Thoughts and opinion please

clubber
    Free Member

think you’ve summed it up pretty well 🙂

Even on my best bike I use 520s as I just can’t see any point spending more. ymmv

julioflo
    Free Member

ha! – very little weight difference between all of them, so my main concern is mud clearing – as one thing my old SPD’s with plastic cage (can’t remember model no.) tended to do was clog up with mud and rock shrapnel

Do the 520’s clear ok?

clubber
    Free Member

absolutely fine. Bristol mud is pretty bad for clogging and I’ve not clogged my 520s yet.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

520s = 390g = £30
    780s = 210g = £60

approx.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

None of them are as good as Time, if that helps. 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Only if you’ve got wonky donkey knees. I tried Times and hated them.

legend
    Free Member

None of them are as good as Time, if that helps.

I just went from Time back to Shimano (first time in 10 years) this weekend…… instantly happier on the Shimanos! (530s)

Step in isn’t quite as positive, release seemed better to me. Also liked that the float is a little bit less, gave me more of an idea what was happening under me…… which was handy as my feet felt like blocks of ice for most of the ride!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano SPD pedals – differences in models’ is closed to new replies.