Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano M540 vs M520 SPDs
  • ElShalimo

Are the M540s worth the extra cash versus the M520
    M540 are roughly £35
    M520 about £22

tk46hal
    Free Member

No, but I like and use the DX ones and the XT ones!

rp16v
    Free Member

+1 for the dx or even the cheaper version are great and go for aroun d the 30 mark

tk46hal
    Free Member

It’s worth spending the extra money IMO!

ElShalimo

forgot to say they’re for xc riding
    can someone post a link to the DX ones?
    cheers

tk46hal
    Free Member

link and the cheapest around, but have a better look around!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4516

will1991
    Free Member

Yes, definitely worth the extra money. I have some 540s, 959s, XTRs, XTs and DXs. I’ve had some 520s briefly but the bearings simply don’t seem to last as well.

The M540s are the same as the XT versions pretty much from what I can tell. I only ever feel the need to use the DXs when DH riding.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve got both. They are almost! exactly the same. When I whack them on a rock they break at exactly the same rate. (Dont put expensive pedals on a Commie Super 4!).

If you dont whack pedals – the 540s are much more long lived – and easier to service (you dont need a special tool) – my 520s all “leak” grease and collect junk at the axle. In reality – I’ve ended up with a left 520 and a right 540 – they work the same. Except 520s bearings die sooner (but are far chaper). The 540 will laster longer.

Unless it whack them on a rock.

PaulD
    Free Member

Whatever you decide on, strip and fill them with grease prior to use.

I have several pairs of Shimano SPDs from A515 to XTR and none have failed with bearing wear, just impacts.

Shimano seem to be a bit mean with the grease at the factory….no doubt to keep the weight-weenies happy in the shops.

Some (520s) need the polymer tool to grip the locknut, but it is cheap and should last for ever…so get one.

PaulD.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M540 vs M520 SPDs’ is closed to new replies.