Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Shimano GRX RX820 – New Gravel Groupset Goes 12 Speed!
  • jameso

I wonder, and you will know more about this, if there is an issue of product managers in big corporations such as Shimano looking at US or Asian gravel and riding more than UK/European riding. They need to understand steep and slippery hills more.

Not 100% sure, I don’t think so – but probably safe to say they won’t see the ‘UK gravel’ approach of underbiking on MTB terrain to the extent that happens here, as part of ‘gravel’. I’d say they’re right tbh, gravel bikes get lost when they’re trying to be more MTB and become bad all-road bikes (imho). Alternative chainset ratios are just for loaded riding or long days with steep hills. And part of my wish for sub-compacts is aesthetic, that I don’t really want a 10-51 and a massive mech on the back of my own gravel bikes. 12-36 is fine with a reasonable 2x chainset spec. It’s all so variable + subjective though, hence why I would like a bit more choice.

chipps

“I think I read that there were no Di2 bikes in this years event. Loads on sram electronic shutters apparently. Presumably, in part, because the riders on drop bars can use it to access MTB gearing”

I know that Shimano was teasing/testing pre-launch GRX mk2 at Unbound, so any Shimano sponsored riders (who might usually use Di2) were probably asked/obliged to try the new mechanical stuff. I have a mix of Ultegra/GRX Di2 on my ‘cross bike and would view it a bit of a downgrade to go back to mechanical (not least because of the faff of re-cabling everything). 😮

13thfloormonk

My GRX 815 DI2 has been utterly faultless on 2 bikes with a combined mileage of 25k km. I’ve replaced 1 chain in all that time.

25000km off road on 1+ chains? What wear did you replace at and how worn is the current chain?

Based on your other posts on here I have no reason to doubt your word, but still, that seems pretty hard to believe? I don’t think I’ve even achieved half that chain life on a summer road bike with a waxed chain! (Squirt rather than immersion, but still) let alone a gravel bike chain (you use Viking Juice yeah?).

I cam here to comment on GRX but then realised that the only GRX component I actually run is the chainset and I still haven’t figured out the best combo of rings for that! Problem with GRX for UK gravel is you basically need the range of MTB gearing through to road gearing. Might as well bring back triples! 😂

mtbfix

Might as well bring back triples

I put a triple on a garage spares bike build earlier this summer. Bloody amazing!

crazy-legs

I cam here to comment on GRX but then realised that the only GRX component I actually run is the chainset and I still haven’t figured out the best combo of rings for that! Problem with GRX for UK gravel is you basically need the range of MTB gearing through to road gearing. Might as well bring back triples! 😂

I had the same issue with gearing when I was building up my Three Peaks CX bike – first build was way before GRX was on the scene, I’ve upgraded it a couple of times since.

I’m running a 34/48 Rotor chainset with a 10so cassette (11-36) which gives the range of gearing low enough for most off-road and high enough for road. A 31/48 GRX chainset would be preferable.

I’d like to go to an 11sp Di2 set up because the cable routing (early days of internal!) is enough of a pain that getting the rear gears sorted is a nightmare. But I guess if I’m going down that route, it’d be easier to just get a new bike.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM