Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brake @talktome
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

Currently got Avid Elixirs and have had enough of having to bleed them every time I change the pads.

Lookin at Deores as a replacement, the reviews are good, but i’d like to hear real-world user verdicts.

What are they like to bleed? How often do they require a bleed? General thoughts please…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have 596. My experience is this I have never had to bleed them. They have great feel, I love how you can pull the leaver right to the bite point and then modulate braking force from there. They don’t feel anywhere near as good with worn pads. If you are heavy on brake pad wear I think you will be adjusting leavers quite often to the point that it might be worth getting SLX for the tooless adjustment.

dantsw13

I only bled my Deores when trimming the hose. Real fit and forget, with great power.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I only bled my Deores when trimming the hose. Real fit and forget, with great power.

Great, thats what i wanted to hear 8)

it might be worth getting SLX for the tooless adjustment.

What type of adjustment do the Deores have?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got Deores on my hardtail and reckon they’re pretty spot on for the money. They were easy enough to bleed (I found that the yellow Shimano tool works better than some of the aftermarket kits) and pads seem to last pretty well.

The only adjustment is lever reach which is by an Allen key. I’ve not touched mine in a year.

sv

What type of adjustment do the Deores have?

Hex key

Scamper
    Free Member

Had the 596 but think the latest 615 even better – look nicer, a bit more modulation and can take ice tech pads if you must. Powerful too.

fenred
    Free Member

I have the 596 on my trail bike and the 615’s on my SS, both are easy to bleed (kit from epicbleed) and I’ve shortened three sets of hoses now without having to bleed again after.

Power on the 615’s is quite frankly jaw dropping!

(The jagwire needle driver makes barb insertion a joy)

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Great value brakes and a doddle to bleed.

Check out the bleed guide here:

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/how-to-bleed-new-shimano-brakes/

And the hose shortening guide here:

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/shorten-shimano-hoses-without-bleeding/

patriotpro
    Free Member

Cheers all, bought SLX after all – got it for £11 more than Deore so was happy to stretch -The Avid is going in the bin.

righog
    Free Member

Epic…..

A question regarding bleeding ( someone mentions the same on the comment section of your link but there was reply)

I have used your bleed kit…

ASIDE…… for those thinking of getting Deores….You really dont need to bleed them often. last time was due to a crash were the pads fell out and I then I pumped the brake lever ( did not know the pads were out ) and the pistons came out a long way)

back on topic…Each time I have bled them with your kit I have had leaking from the reservoir seals, I still get a good bleed and they work fine, but I do make a mess and lose fluid…..What am I doing wrong ?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Where did you get the SLX, pp?

patriotpro
    Free Member

CRC Flatboy…

The Deore was £38 and the SLX was £49 after 5er voucher

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Righog, are you taking the plunger out of the master cylinder syringe before threading it into the bleed port at the lever?

Check out the guide in full here:

PJ266
    Free Member

Got mine from Ribble today, oem with no packaging but fitted the rear and it feels spot on.

What’s the best way to shorten the hoses and avoid having to bleed them?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cheers, pp, I’ll take a look.

PJ – shortening the hoses is super easy, but you will need new insert and olive. I think someone on the other thread suggested the Ribble set didn’t include them. You just:
    slide the rubber cover off from where the lever is,
    undo the bolt (don’t pull the lever after this point!),
    pull the hose out,
    cut the hose down to the right length,
    pop the new insert in (technically you need the special clamps for this but when I’ve done it I’ve just held the hose and twatted the insert in with a hammer – it goes in nice and snug eventually!),
    pop the olive on the hose and then
    tighten the bolt back up into the lever (onto and squashing the olive as you do it).
    Slide the rubber cover back over the bolt and you’re done. Easy. 🙂

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Great choice of brakes! Me and my brother just built up our old HT frames and wanted to keep the costs down. He went for M615s and I had to go for SLX as I neede the banjo fitting to work with my frame. Both brakes are amazing. Great lever feel and plenty of stopping power. I have some tech M4s on the big bike and although they are better it’s made me a think a little about whether they are x2.5 the price better! I would say be careful on shortening the cables and try to make sure the olive sits straight or else it won’t seal and strangely none of my LBS carry spares.

John

dantsw13
    righog
    Free Member

epicbleedsolutions – Member
    Righog, are you taking the plunger out of the master cylinder syringe before threading it into the bleed port at the lever?

Check out the guide in full here:

NO……….Will do next time……..Cheers Epic

gogg
    Free Member

Another cheap deore source, from my LBS, not one of the big boys.

patriotpro
    Free Member

That is cheap gogg.

Ps didn’t like the split pin pad retainer so re used the screw from my old Elixir and it fit spot on.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brake @talktome’ is closed to new replies.