Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 348 total)
  • ShhhhhhSh.. I think the Remainers have finally cried themselves to sleep
  • martinhutch

There’s no winners from putting barricades up.

Unless you’re Froome and Porte.

But seriously, this +1000. In many ways you can see Brexit as a symptom of divisions and polarisations across the whole of Europe. Countries pulling away from each other when we should be pulling together.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Celebrate diversity, welcome others, accept the world is all about nuance and not stark contrast.”

The EU doesn’t welcome others. If you live in Nigeria you can’t just move to an EU country.

AdamW
    Free Member

The UK doesn’t at this time welcome *anyone*.

footflaps

I’m starting to think May’s just beginning to stitch up the leavers

That is my take, I’m thinking her plan is to make such a balls up, we have no choice but to rejoin. Either that or start making flint based tools to survive….

outofbreath
    Free Member

“The UK doesn’t at this time welcome *anyone*.”

Wrong. There are a gazzilion EU and non-EU migrants in my area, they’re all welcome and they all have no problem finding work. We’re as welcoming as anywhere else.

onewheelgood

Celebrate diversity, welcome others, accept the world is all about nuance and not stark contrast.

There’s no winners from putting barricades up.

Absolutely this. I voted remain, and I didn’t even consider the economic effects. It is blindingly obvious that if the human race is to survive we need to stop pretending that various groups are special or different. We have one human race, one planet. The EU was a step away from divisions and a step towards that unity. Being told by the morons that I’ve abandoned principle in favour of economic self-interest is beyond irony.

And even after 6 pages we are still waiting to hear what exactly it is that we’ve won. Jamba’s list was fine, but he didn’t go on to say how those things actually benefited anyone, or why they were better than what we had before. Thebees is just a troll, but there are other Leavers here – can any of you tell us what we’ve won?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“We have one human race, one planet.”

So why join a trade agreement with the nearest handful of countries that prevents us doing deals on an individual basis with the rest of the world? Why not deal with everyone on mutually agreed terms?

onewheelgood

Why not deal with everyone on mutually agreed terms?

Yes, a single world government and economic system is what is really needed. Glad you agree.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Because it gives the bloc bargaining power during negotiations to face huge entities such as China.

Turkey could have joined the EU if they’d really wanted to and the EU was setting up free trade deals with the rest of the world – so I don’t buy the idea that the EU is racist.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Yes, a single world government and economic system is what is really needed.

You might not like it but think of all the problems it would solve. If mankind lasts long enough I think it’s both desirable and inevitable.

onewheelgood

If mankind lasts long enough I think it’s both desirable and inevitable.

I meant it. The EU was a step in that direction, negotiating 72 separate agreements is a step away from it.

igm

Yes OOB, but the EU is a start. We can expand open borders from there in a sensible managed way (bet someone disagrees with that) to encompass the whole world eventually.

A world without nations.

igm

Actually, a single world government got me thinking. I wonder if the leavers object to the UN too.
    Another non-democratic uber-governmental organisation without even having the benefits of a single market.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Yes OOB, but the EU is a start.”

It really isn’t. Agreement with 27 nation prevents us individually getting any agreement with the other 170.

There are many good arguments for the EU, improved trade with the rest of the world isn’t one of them.

The EU tried for years to reach agreement with India and gave up because all 27 nations couldn’t agree terms. The UK alone could get an agreement far quicker.

igm

I’m proposing a different model. Getting neighbouring countries’ economies up to speed then allowing them into the union.
    Slow measured growth.

Jamba’s point on fiscal union would need addressing of course.

And I also agree that there are many good reasons for the EU other than trade.

wwaswas

Actually, a single world government got me thinking. I wonder if the leavers object to the UN too.

or NATO – a large part of our defense capability controlled by commanders from other countries whilst deployed, the type of munitions our soldiers carried determined by an unelected group of foreigners?

outofbreath
    Free Member

bencooper
    Free Member

I wonder if the leavers object to the UN too.

Fox News certainly got a bit confused:

AdamW
    Free Member

Wrong. There are a gazzilion EU and non-EU migrants in my area, they’re all welcome and they all have no problem finding work. We’re as welcoming as anywhere else.

As long as they can dodge the rocks and “We voted so you can leave” brigade, sure.

DaRC_L

After 7 pages has it been proved that the Remainers have not cried themselves to sleep?

outofbreath
    Free Member

As long as they can dodge the rocks and “We voted so you can leave” brigade, sure.

None of that where I live. Police issued a statement. No increase in reporting whatsoever.

highlandman
    Free Member

Last week I met the representative of a Chinese investment consortium, who was in the UK on an extended investment trip. She voiced very real concerns over UK instability following the exit vote and described how her employers have significantly revised their view on risk when associated with potential UK inward investments into their target group of SMEs with useful R&D activity. Their concerns included restrictions on access to the EU market- exactly the sort of concerns voiced by the Remain side as a good reason to stay.
    If my unrepresentative sample of 1 is anything to go by, such venture investment may be harder to secure for some time to come. I’ve yet to hear any really sensible reasons why anyone would have voted exit. Other than the ‘Cameron- Bloody Nose’ concept.

AdamW
    Free Member

None of that where I live. Police issued a statement. No increase in reporting whatsoever.

Splendid. We should all move to where you are, the utopia that it is.

footflaps

You’ve won shit in a sock. Go on, put your hand in; feel your victory.

very good!

outofbreath
    Free Member

Splendid. We should all move to where you are, the utopia that it is.

I love it that you think somewhere were people don’t throw stones at each other and verbally abuse each other is ‘Utopia’. 😀

hora
    Free Member

Won shit in a sock?

Gideon and Dave are out of power.

I’ll do half a jig to that

Clover

And Boris Johnson is foreign secretary.

*suspends jig*

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s no coincidence that Foreign Secretary is an anagram of Court Jester.

footflaps

Have any of the jubilent leavers noticed that we’re still in and showing no intention of enacting Article 50?

May’s comments about Scotland suggest she’s kicking the Article 50 can several years down the road, if not forever.

So all we’ve achieved is a recession and loss of EU funding for various things.

zippykona

Yeah but Nigel is going to get a blue passport.
    We all want Nigel to have a blue passport.
    Hopefully Nigel will use his blue passport to **** off back to the 50s.

ninfan
    Free Member

Have any of the jubilent leavers noticed that we’re still in and showing no intention of enacting Article 50?

Yes I’ve noticed

Great I think, we’ve got a prime minister who is going to stop and think about things and come up with a strategy, rather than going off half cocked

Why the hurry?

As long as it’s issued before the end of April 2018, then we will be out before the next election.

bluerob

As long as it’s issued before the end of April 2018, then we will be out before the next election.

Why? Are you worried the public won’t continue to support brexit at the GE? Surely if it’s the will of the people you shouldn’t fear there being a change of heart, or is this not the democracy that you’re looking for?

ninfan
    Free Member

Why? Are you worried the public won’t continue to support brexit at the GE? Surely if it’s the will of the people you shouldn’t fear there being a change of heart, or is this not the democracy that you’re looking for?

quite the contrary – I think that it provides the perfect opportunity for the Conservative Party to go to the country and demonstrate that they have delivered on their manifesto commitment to hold a referendum and respect the outcome.
    “We were elected on a mandate to hold a referendum and respect the outcome, we held a referendum, you voted to leave, and we left, so there you are, job jobbed – now, do you want to go onward into independence with a government who have proven themselves, or do you want that rabble of sh*** who still haven’t picked a leader?”

ahwiles
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Why the hurry?

Overall I agree with you, fools rush in, etc.

But, since you asked…

1) There are lots of people who are very worried about their future. For example: my friend with a German wife, they’re both worried. My Mexican friend with his polish wife, the deafening silence from No10 is forcing them all to consider how they’ll leave the uk when they’re told to. It’s easy for people like me to think they’re worrying over nothing, but who knows what our new pm (‘immigrants go home’) has in mind.

2) Eu funding for uk science is going to start drying up, this is bad news. The longer we do nothing about it, the worse it’ll be. if we’re to have a future in high value manufacturing ( aerospace, medicine, energy generation, etc.) we need to start nailing down the access/collaboration/funding agreements.

Our relationship with the EU is already changing. We need to get involved with the process, but we won’t be allowed in the room till we confirm our position.

ninfan
    Free Member

That’s more a case of ‘what assurances we give industry and the wider public of our intentions’ – which I agree it vitally important and overdue, rather than when we actually issue the A50 though, which I wouldn’t be doing till we had had at the very least a long sit down chat with Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Belgium and the Netherlands.

dannyh
    Free Member

I still have faith that article 50 will be left to moulder in the political equivalent of ‘that corner of the shed/garage’ we all have. Where it belongs.

With any luck it will just pass into obscurity as one of those political oddities like Andorra still being officially at war with Germany because they weren’t at the Paris signings at the end of the Second World War.

And yes, I am aware that it would be a massive two fingers to the people who voted to leave. An entirely appropriate one.

footflaps

Dream on, it has taken 300 Canadian trade negotiators seven years to negotiate their trade deal with the EU and it still hasn’t been ratified / implemented yet. I doubt we’ll see Article 50 enacted in under 10 years; probably never.

NB and the UK has zero trade negotiators, having not had to negotiate a trade deal since 1975…..

Klunk
    Free Member

Dream on, it has taken 300 Canadian trade negotiators seven years to negotiate their trade deal with the EU and it still hasn’t been ratified / implemented yet. I doubt we’ll see Article 50 enacted in under 10 years; probably never.

NB and the UK has zero trade negotiators, having not had to negotiate a trade deal since 1975…..

According to a piece by David Davis (got him the brexit tzar gig by all accounts) we should complete negotiations with the likes of China, US and India within a year! 😆

dannyh
    Free Member

According to a piece by David Davis (got him the brexit tzar gig by all accounts) we should complete negotiations with the likes of China, US and India

Pillock.

footflaps

Pillock indeed. Remarkably ignorant of how Europe works as well…

Take our new secretary of state for exiting the European Union, David Davis. It has emerged that as recently as May, Davis had believed it would be possible for Britain to negotiate trade deals directly with each EU member state, as opposed to the reality, which is that the member states are only permitted to negotiate as a bloc.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/minister-for-brexit-davis-davis-eu-european-union-germany-single-market-trade-deals-unaware-mistake-a7136121.html

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 348 total)

The topic ‘ShhhhhhSh.. I think the Remainers have finally cried themselves to sleep’ is closed to new replies.