Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 348 total)
  • ShhhhhhSh.. I think the Remainers have finally cried themselves to sleep
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

LBS is not typical SME I was thinking more like the 5 to 50 employee range – I have not talked to anyone in this space who is happy with the vote

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

This is going to become akin to the Spanish Civil War isn’t it?

I have Spanish friends who still don’t talk to parts of their family because of who’s side they were on during that hilarious war.

outofbreath
    Free Member

She’s not a French national, nor am I. Why would we move to France

I know she’s non-EU, you’re EU.

I suggested France because you said that if she lost her job you’d be a world apart. I figured France would be closer.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Not for long am I?

To be fair, I’d rather move to a third world country run by a psychotic dictator who’s death squads murder drug addicts for the lolz, than France. Maybe Germany. They’re civilised.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Two people told me this week that they voted for Brexit “as a protest” but never thought it would actually happen. Idiots.

My MiL said almost the exact same thing.

zippykona

There once was a chap called thebees
    who thought it would be a tease
    to piss off the Trax
    and get up their backs
    so it’s in his shoes we do wees.

richmtb

You’ve won shit in a sock. Go on, put your hand in; feel your victory.

Worth repeating.

So c’mon then what is the plan? At least we got a tune out of Nero.

GrahamS

poah
    Free Member

his job is based on EU funding (he’s a microbiolgy researcher with a PHD! FFS he should have engaged brain).

well his current grant is and that won’t change as he’s already been given the cash. more than likely his next job won’t be as only about 15% of science grants are from the EU IIRC.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Sure, 15 percent come from the EU. But a lot of grants from companies are based on the fact that we can easily collaborate with European universities….

poah
    Free Member

And all you have to do is click your heels three times and grant funding from China, India, Iceland, Peru etc will fall out of the sky.

my PhD supervisors biggest grant was (welcome trust) in collaboration with a group in Argintinia, the idea that collaborations are easier to get within the EU nonsense. The science has to be good enough to get funded in the first place and within the remit of the funding body. EU grants are also very specific and you have to account for all the cash you spend.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

EU grants are also very specific and you have to account for all the cash you spend.

You say that like it’s a bad thing. 😆

Shackleton

EU grants are also very specific and you have to account for all the cash you spend.

You say that like it’s a bad thing.[/quote]

It is when done to the degree they require. It is akin to having to declare (and justify) how many paperclips you bought and how long it took you to buy them rather than just going to get some stationary as part of your working day.

EU H2020 grants are great for funding the kinds of cutting edge, curiosity led fundamental science that UK gov won’t fund though (who want defined real world outputs to feed directly into industry. Sometimes it feels like they want us to be the R&D dept for biotech in the UK).

Clover

Boris: ‘vote does not mean leaving Europe in any sense’.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-vote-does-not-mean-leaving-europe-in-any-sense-eu-referendum-reshuffle-a7137056.html

Not sure whether I am crying or laughing myself to sleep.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

A deeply anti-intellectual country doesn’t like blue sky research anymore and simply values the monetary value of research?

What a surprise!

Sonor
    Free Member

Meanwhile, in the Brexit camp…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJby3PCfbo[/video]

Appropriate that someone in the clip has that particular moustache.

poah
    Free Member

You say that like it’s a bad thing

cause you can use it the way academics normally use their money

philxx1975
    Free Member

i have not gone quiet i have simply shifted my focus onto tactical/strategic decisions to protect my family, business and personal life from the decision made by certain elements of society – i am taking the me first **** you approach so the following will happen in my life –
    1. Will not be employing a new bod in the business in October
    2. Will not be buying new hardware/kit for the business this year
    3. Will not be investing in training for the business
    4. Will not be selling my house
    5. Will not be paying building trade tens of thousands to renovate new property
    6. Will be taking above mentioned cash to allow my kids to buy property in a depressed market
    7. Will sit on my pension funds and not spend it
    8. Will not be buying any shiny things for some considerable time
    9. Will be cutting overheads on home business
    10. Will be cutting our day rates to clients to retain relationships
    Will be sitting back to see what the hell happens, this is not revenge this is protectionism
    POSTED 6 HOURS AGO #

So in some sense of two finger to them you torpedo your own business…bet you will blame someone else when that fails , hopefully someone will set up a competing firm and earn a living from your self entitled sob story.

convert

So in some sense of two finger to them you torpedo your own business…bet you will blame someone else when that fails , hopefully someone will set up a competing firm and earn a living from your self entitled sob story.

So someone describes effectively battening down the hatches and exercising a little caution in the face of a uncertain national economic climate – pretty much exactly what a significant number of large corporations are planning to do – and you wish him financial ruin. What a lovely person you must be. May I wish you a little reciprocal karma you bellend.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“1. Will not be employing a new bod in the business in October”

The UK is so short staffed we have to import a net 300,000 workers a year just to fill the demand.

Employing one less will reduce that requirement to net 299,999.

And this is to punish Brexiters?

Have you thought this through?

convert

And this is to punish Brexiters?

Where did he say it was about punishing brexiters? He said:-

this is not revenge this is protectionism

You didn’t bother reading the detail did you? Limited attention span? Brexit voter perchance?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

TBH the more brexit supporting posts i see, both here, Facebook and the Internet at large, the more i wonder if the right for everyone to have the vote is overrated.

Quite a lot of them don’t seem to understand what they voted for, what the EU is and how it works or even which is their left hand.

outofbreath
    Free Member

You didn’t bother reading the detail did you? Limited attention span? Brexit voter perchance?

No, Yes, No.

outofbreath
    Free Member

i wonder if the right for everyone to have the vote is overrated.

I reckon there should be a current affairs and reasoning test with every vote. The result would be used as a multiplier which weights the worth of the vote.

I’m not really serious… …but it’s tempting…

philxx1975
    Free Member

Brexit voter perchance

Well he’s not the bellends throwing his toys out the pram because he didn’t get his own way ,plenty of small businesses…..ooooooh carrying g on as normal.. Do I wish him financial ruin…no do I hope someone has enough about them not to piss moan and whine about the raw deal they’re getting because of others, of course , this is Britain where the sense of self importance is Grande.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

You’ve got to stop smoking that stuff…

igm

I’m starting to think May’s just beginning to stitch up the leavers. 😆

kelvin

I can’t believe I bothered to read through all this.

The same battle between empty faith and real world knowledge is still going on, isn’t it?

Empty faith delivered the “win”, but now the win has occurred, is bugger all use on its own.

If I was in a position to “help make it work” then, despite voting Remain, of course I would.

The reality is doing everything I can to miminise the financial and social impact with those I know and work with.

To achieve that, there is NOTHING to be gained by pretending that the “win” was a good idea, so no, I won’t shut up, as people (whether that be customers in other countries, or non-uk born people living amongst us) NEED to be reassured that many of us Brits also think that Leaving the EU is a damn stupid thing for us to be doing.

Accepting the vote is one thing… we are leaving… but I will not allow Britain’s outlook and voice be uniquely set by those who “won”… I will keep voicing my, now proven to be countrary to “popular opinion”, views on migration, collaboration, humanitarian and political issues. And I urge others to do the same. Nothing to be gained from doing anything different.

GrahamS

I was listening to a bit of ”Why Did People Vote Leave?” on The Briefing Room (Radio 4) on the way home.

Christ!

Give it 5 minutes and try not to make yourself hoarse!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Give it 5 minutes and try not to make yourself hoarse!

Is it depressing?

GrahamS

Depends how you feel about an old dear saying she’s never been to Europe, but some of her friends have and they said you have to do things differently in Europe and she doesn’t want that.

Besides in the old days everyone knew each and now they don’t. And she wants that back.

So that’s why she voted Leave… 😕

convert

It is depressing but I struggle to know where to direct it. Is it depressing because it tests my faith in democracy; is it depressing because being surrounded by the ignorant is a sad state of affairs; is it depressing because the campaigners and public at large failed to get these people to comprehend the issues they were voting on or all of the above.

I think it’s all of the above.

dazh

Besides in the old days everyone knew each and now they don’t. And she wants that back.

You think that’s bad, one of my work colleagues said that before we joined the EU we used to buy sugar cane from the West Indies which was better quality than the sugar cane we are forced to buy now because we’re in the EU. He didn’t actually know where we buy it from now, but he knows it’s not as good as the West Indian stuff. Something to do with the commonwealth apparently.

aracer
    Free Member

Show us your prize then? As a loser I’m curious to see what it looks like

Shackleton

It was depressing listening made even more frustrating because virtually all of the reasons given for a leave vote had little or nothing to do with the EU.

GrahamS

Did it get any better? I had to switch it off after ten minutes as my windscreen was getting covered in spittle.

richmtb

I was discussing the situation with a colleague a few days ago. She is a well paid professional sales person working for a huge multinational tech firm. We’ve taken a pretty big hit due to the tech markets main currency being USD. She voted leave.

She wasn’t a fan of the EU but didn’t really explain why. She wasn’t worried about the long term effects as she was planning to retire to Spain in a few years!

There is literally nothing you can do to puncture that kind of stupidity as all these inflated clowns bounce around telling us how they have won.

hora
    Free Member

What are we arguing about now? Anything to avoid work? 😆

Sandwich

On my way back from Harwich this morning (well someone has to go there) it was noticeable that the Leave banners and placards are still in place. It’s as if they want someone to clean up after them. Newsflash only ‘your mum’ clears up after you and she’s busy.

wwaswas

I feel more like staying in the EU following Nice than ever.

Creating division, seeing everything as ‘them and us’ is what creates the environment that nurtures extremism.

Celebrate diversity, welcome others, accept the world is all about nuance and not stark contrast.

There’s no winners from putting barricades up.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 348 total)

The topic ‘ShhhhhhSh.. I think the Remainers have finally cried themselves to sleep’ is closed to new replies.