Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Sharing a name with someone (in)famous….
  • MoreCashThanDash

My opening example is a bit niche, but currently sat in a Teams presentation to 150 people, when the name of a notorious fraudster we sent down comes up on a slide.

Tagging your colleague on the call who shares the name gets a lot of attention…..🤣

Anyone had similar?

P-Jay
    Free Member

We’ve got an Andy Murray in work, and we used to have a Russel Hobbs.

misteralz
    Free Member

I used to know an incredibly intelligent, softly spoken bloke with a full head of hair. Called Grant Mitchell.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I share the name of a fairly famous Fashion Designer/Shoe Designer who was mentioned in “The Wolf of wall Street”….I get that scene repeated to me on a regular basis…

Blackflag
    Free Member

We have an Andy Williams at work. He’s just too good to be true.

ads678

My wife used to work with Batman, and I’m not even taking the piss.

Alright thats just his surname, but!!!

franksinatra

When I worked for Coca-Cola we had an account manager working permanently at McDonalds HQ. I’m sure that was in Slough at the time. Anyways, the Account Manager was called Ronald McDonald.

Not name related but, as a kid, my home phone number was only 1 digit out from the family switchboard at Windsor Castle. We used to have fun with that.

Caher

When I lived in Switzerland we had a US compliance manager hosting a meeting to my Swiss colleagues called Heidi Swiss.

richmtb

We’ve got Jean Luc Picard on the corporate email. Apparently he works in the “Enterprise Team”

MoreCashThanDash

We’ve got Jean Luc Picard on the corporate email. Apparently he works in the “Enterprise Team”

Nominative determinism in action?

grum
    Free Member

I share a name with a not very famous former Changing Rooms designer. I have had a few weird enquiries from places like Japan asking if I’m him.

MrOvershoot

I have a Tom Jones working for me, its not unusual though.

molgrips

Back in the 90s when Red Dwarf was on telly my sister knew someone whose surname was Rimmer. Hilarity ensued. I also worked with someone called Rimmer much later, and whilst he was a nice bloke you just couldn’t engage him in that kind of banter so jokes were met with puzzled looks. Calling him ‘Ace’ for example just felt mean.

Dickyboy

Back in the late 70’s we had a male Lesley Judd in our scout troup..

MoreCashThanDash

Back in the late 70’s we had a male Lesley Judd in our scout troup..

A challenging ****…..

willard

Used to work with both a James Hendrix and a David Bowie. Always hilarious

johndoh
    Free Member

I used to know a girl whose brother was called Mike Tyson. He was almost arrested once after being pulled over for speeding because the police thought he was just taking the piss out of them when they asked his name.

big_scot_nanny

Used to work with a James Bond. Smashing guy, rarely did anyone mention the connection as he was great at work and we all just got on with things. Bizarrely just never really came up, as he was our James Bond, not James Bond. Weird.

however once was running a big meeting in Vienna, I was on stage presenting, and James was late to the audience. When I saw him arriving through a door at the back of the meeting hall, I just couldn’t help myself…

thegeneralist

its not unusual though.

🙂

MoreCashThanDash

. When I saw him arriving through a door at the back of the meeting hall, I just couldn’t help myself…

Please tell me you were stroking a white cat….

tomhoward

Some of my customers and colleagues over the years.

Mark Hamill
    Ian Watkins
    Dane Bowers
    Mohammed Ali
    Jed Ward
    Shannon Matthews

tomhoward

Oh, and apparently I share my name with a professional wrestler.

ElShalimo

The Undertaker?

tomhoward

Not me

bridges
    Free Member

Not famous, but see ‘Man Down’. 😀

nickc

I used to work with  James Brown in a warehouse. He had a high vis that had “Yeah, I did,right up until you asked”

kayak23

I’m to be doing some work for a Mike Caine.
    Not a lot of people know that.

alpin
    Free Member

Have a 2nd cousin in South Africa. Bartholomew Simpson.

FB-ATB

My Nan and my aunt were both called Elizabeth Hurley.

TiRed

My father was Steve Austin. And no, sadly they could not put him back together again after his accident. Not a great reminder during my childhood.

tomhoward

My Nan and my aunt were both called Elizabeth Hurley.

I refer you to morecashthandash’s post.

falkirk-mark

I work with a Robert Brown but he just goes by Bobby Brown, I suppose that’s his perogative .

ElShalimo

I used to work with a plumber called Mike Hunt

More infamous than famous

MoreCashThanDash

I refer you to morecashthandash’s post.

🤣🤣

Fame at last!

dovebiker

I had a colleague who shared a name and birthday with a notorious Yardie gangster, he was a white Yorkshireman but would still get pulled by the Feds at US immigration – much hilarity (not).

We had a managing director called Chris Boardman – I once got my meeting room booking cancelled at the last minute because of “Chris Boardman” and I was quietly cursing as I packed up my stuff because I couldn’t understand why the MD couldn’t use the boardroom outside his office – when I walked out the door and bumped in to Chris Boardman OBE and Olympic Gold medalist – he was doing his Secret Squirrel stuff for the Olympics.

matt_outandabout

We’ve a trustee who has the name of someone famous.

As he is the famous one.

Sir David Attenborough.

😃

lamp
    Free Member

I worked with a Michael Bolton once….The Office Space character didn’t help him either!

jimw
    Free Member

Having my first name and being a reasonably practical bloke who likes helping mend and sort things……
    Oh, if I only had a pound for every time I heard that one, and of course it’s not very helpful these days.

nstpaul

If you google my name (shared with actors and an animal trainer) over 16 million results appear. I haven’t bothered to go through them all to see where I rank but it’s not in the first 20 pages 🙂

oldtennisshoes

I’ve worked with a Helen Bells and I once interviewed a Heath Robinson.  🤷‍♂️

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.