Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Shares for workers….
  • kimbers

ft reckon up to £5.9bn in 1st year for treasury

https://www.ft.com/content/2a68e830-c027-11e8-95b1-d36dfef1b89a

also article here by former Tory minister & Goldman Sachs exec arguing that Labour are the only party at least trying to fix the problems in the economy, while the Tories are consumed by Brexit

https://www.ft.com/content/bc14ef02-bc05-11e8-8dfd-2f1cbc7ee27c

kimbers

double post

bobgarrod
    Free Member

The shares have to come from somewhere – either the current shareholders (a lot of pension companies hold shares) – are labour suggesting just taking them – or paying market prices? or by issuing new shares – diluting the value of current shareholders – reducing the value of pension funds. It’s a gimmick from a man who would like to see capitalism destroyed and see all of us dependant on the state. Who’d invest in share offerings knowing 10% could be taken from you or the value immediately slashed by 10% ?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

also article here by former Tory minister & Goldman Sachs exec arguing that Labour are the only party at least trying to fix the problems in the economy, while the Tories are consumed by Brexit

Can’t disagree with that but it’s very easy for the opposition to concentrate on what they like and ignore the rest. The government are stuck with sorting brexit like it or not and regardless of which side of the argument you might be on, the actually dealing with it was always going to be an all consuming car crash, whether it works out better than before or the end of the world.

Even if they did have to concern themselves with brexit and the other nuisances of the country’s day to day running, to paraphrase Nick Clegg on tuition fees, it’s very easy to promise in opposition that which you can’t deliver in power. Not surprisingly the conservatives had much better pie in the sky by about 2002 once they’d agreed who to blame for 97 and short of a geniune praise to god miracle from Labour, after a few years of a conservative opposition, Labour will look stalled and the conservatives will be making progressive policy.

Corbyn et al might do a wonderful job in government, they might be as disastrous as a rogue comet but until they’re in power it’s all just wind. One thing i can categorically promise is they won’t fix the economy just like no-one else has in any country ever.

ft reckon up to £5.9bn in 1st year for treasury

Ah yes its incremental to 10% after 10(?) years isn’t it?

thecaptain
    Free Member

“immediately slashed”

Don’t let the facts get in the way of that knee jerking. As someone with significant shareholdings across a wide range of companies I’m completely unbothered by the proposal.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Well if 10% of shares are priced at zero – then the value of the other 90% are going to be reduced. If bike manufactures gave away 10% of their production – do you reckon the secondhand value of the bike you paid full price for would rise or fall ?

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’d guess most pensions allow people to move their money around every April. So I’m pretty sure I can transfer my pension out of UK listed companies and into cash investments or foreign investments. So many of us will be able to avoid the initial problem itself if we’re lucky enough to get the timing right.

All the other consequences might be harder to avoid.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Shares for workers….’ is closed to new replies.