Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Share your winter (bike) project?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Decided the cargo bike can do another winter without a makeover. Both the hardtail and monstercross are running fine. So that leaves this 1980s Raleigh Sirocco (Reynolds 501, 12 spd) road bike unloved and gently weeping in the shed:

It was a gift from a friend’s house-move and I want to do something special with it. Not overly concerned with period-specific like-for-like refurb. Just want to use it for back lanes riding in the summer months and keep it nice. Mirror-polished alloy and deep candy finish will happen! It has no attachment points for guards or racks so going with the flow I’ll keep it sweet and simple for day-rides.

Hubs (Maillard) are knacked. Well at least the front one is.
    Rear derailleur is cracked
    Can’t abide the plastic-shod shifters
    Paint is bubbling and someone once brush-painted a third of it (difficult to see in pics) so the first thing is to strip and powder-coat while I make firmer plans for it! Had a peep with a bright light down the tubes and it seems in really order internally, hardly a sign of rust. Promising, need to see what’s under the acres of daubed paint-repairs yet tho..

Had a gander on the web and I think I like what this guy did with his (simple SA 2-speed kickshift hub at the rear, dyno hub on front) Daft or inspired? Anyone here use/d one of these Duomatic hubs? One hear for hills, one for flat?

Watchoo got planned for the long dark months?

joemmo
    Free Member

Looks like a nice project that.

For me: NS Rag+ frame and fork plus some bits and bobs. Going to do a major parts transplant from my Kinesis Pro6 at some point however the garage has been swamped by wrapped up Xmas presents and I can barely get in at the moment.

Bah humbug.

trail_rat
    Free Member

All the bits are waiting me getting home next week to build the wife’s Xmas present….

Pivot mach5.7
    150mm revs
    Pro 2s on Olympics -we already had them lying about she is silly light I think she will benifit from tr less weight rather than HD wheels.
    1*11 slx /xt chain set
    Hope minis
    KS dropper

eemy
    Free Member

Bought a cheap road disc frame and fork to transfer bits from my other bike to it and to use some 29er wheels.
    – front wheel didn’t fit. Bought a 12mm adaptor and a shim but that didn’t work
    – so bought a set of wheels
    – tried to swap my brakes over, but they didn’t fit. So sold those and bought another set.
    – tried to put my crankset on but that didn’t fit. Had to file down the tabs

I’ve had to cut down an allen key to fit the brakes, spend ages with a hairdryer trying to remove decals from the wheels, tried to fit a mtb brake cable to a road shifter by mistake, had to buy a 142×12 adaptor so that the bike would fit on the turbo.

Nothing has been straight-forward, I would have been cheaper buying the full bike 2nd hand – BUT I have had an absolute hoot doing it.

joemmo
    Free Member

Eemy – welcome to the joy of self build 🙂

I’m pretty sure I’ve got all the various adapters I need for hubs and brakes for mine to go smoothly but there’s always something…

core

I’ve got a silly hankering for a mk1 or mk2 Soul. But, although decent 26″ wheels are pretty easy to come by, forks are not…..

My mk2 Soul, in black is what got me MTBing properly a few years ago, was so much fun, light, simple, jack of all trades. Simpler times. As my bikes and riding have got fancier and more technical the enjoyment has probably dropped off a bit, frequency of rides certainly has.

theboatman
    Free Member

I’ve just purchased this bad boy for £20 from a chap on here;

[/url][/url], on Flickr[/img]

It’s going to be a messing about on old railway lines with the kids stroke pub/ town bike thingy for spring. It might even make summer commuter duties as I’ve just dramatically reduced my ride to work. I’ve got pretty much a 9 speed drive train for it, some XTR v-brakes and a back wheel good to go. Just got to hunt down a front wheel and a cheapo front mech. Yet to decide what to do about the fork/ stem array as it’s a 1 1/8th threaded, so don’t know if I should just ditch the fork and get a cheap straight steerer one (I’m assuming clamping a stem to to thread is frowned upon…), as I have stems, bars and headsets or go down the threaded route either with converter or quill stem etc etc. It’s going to be cheap and oddly I’m pretty excited to get it built up!

RustyNissanPrairie

This years winter project is my trusty old Kona Smoke (29er) commuting bike. Its been commuted to death and was retired when the original wheels died.
    It rides really nicely and ended up with Chris King/Thomson/XT gears on it.

The plan is to add a rear disc mount, shave off the v brake mounts and also all the existing cable guides and replace with full length outer cable/hose guides. Then either have it powder coated black or more likely polish it up and clear coat it.

Before the butchery begins

Laser cut jig and disc mount (still need filing to suit at this point)

V brake mounts (nearly) removed at this point.

cookeaa

@RustyNissanPrairie, I like that jig, I might have to steal that idea, I assume it allows you good access from either side?

Adding a disc mount and grinding off the V bosses is exactly what I want to do to on my own old kona.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Had my old 1966 Mercian built up with a duo matic for a couple of years. I liked it, did a few centuries on it just took a bit if learning the shift. In the end a combination of the borders being pretty hilly and a knee ligament injury meant I swapped it for a 5 speed sturmey this year and it’s made it much more usable.

I binned the vintage brakes and put some silver tektro dual pivots on as you can get them in a nutted fitting. Will dig out some pics tomorrow when not on my phone.

No real winter project here this year……well other than trying to fit drops to my rigid 67.5(+)er

deadkenny
    Free Member

My winter bike is my summer bike(s), and they all go in the mud.

smell_it
    Free Member

@ deadkenny – l think it’s more a thread on the bike’s people are building over winter chap.

kayak23

Are Mbikes allowed?

Going to be tinkering with my lovely 1982 Gsx400f.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YBtXJ4]Untitled[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

I want to strip and simplify it all. I’ve cnc’d a new instrument and clock panel, single clock and minimal lights to get rid of the massive original dials.
    Shorten back end and rework the seat etc and strip and reseat the valves and all sorts of shizzle.

Mind you, winter or not I have the same lack of hours in the day to fit everything in…. 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

RustyNissanPrairie, I like that jig, I might have to steal that idea, I assume it allows you good access from either side?

I made a few extra. £5 posted?
    Its based on similiar jigs already available but is only suitable for adding a frame mount (fork mounts are slightly different bolt PCD’s).

andykentos
    Free Member

Building up a ragley blue pig, fox 34s from bike components and frame from CRC. Just ordered a xt groupset this morning as well and then finishing kit and wheels is all stuff i had lying around, pro4 wheels.

Hoping it rides as good as the reviews say. Have to say it does look pretty cool so far though, quite excited about getting it finished and winter in the alps ending!! Even if the snow is pretty good at the moment!!

Daffy

Prototype Charge Freezer Ti with 3D Printed Dropouts.

It’s been sat, unloved in my office for the best part of 4 years and I’ve finally been given permission to take it home.

It’s got quirky geometry, and I’m going to have to make a mech hanger, but I’ve got most of the bits I need to do a 1*11 using a Shimano XTR mech onto RS685 shifters with a Sram chainset… it’s gonna be ace.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ll not actually do it, but thinking:

Surly Straggler 700c
    – 1×11 gearing off a bar-end shifter
    Paul’s Klamper brakes
    Crust towel rail bars and stem
    Surly 8-pack rack with Wald 1392 basket over
    Crane top-cap bell
    White Industries cranks?
    – Brooks Cambium seat, I guess?

Something like that, anyway… 😀

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I am swapping all the bits off my Turner Sultan to a Titanium Titus Fireline frame that should arrive today.

Time to try some hardtail love again

thomthumb
    Free Member

I have a little project going on. Being a tart i’m Going to keep it under wraps for a while yet…

stevied
    Free Member

Nearly finished my 1997 Cannondale M400. Cost £70 as a complete bike (with RS forks). I sold the suspension forks and bought a pair of Exotic carbons to go on it.
    Mainly built for riding with the kids so gone single speed. Just need a hose for the Hope brake.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Fettling my Giant Reign. I’ve decided to embrace the mini dh aspect rather than combat it. It’ll be going 1×10 rather than 2×10 and a pal is tuning the shock which I never seemed to get right. Shorter cranks and a few other bits and bobs, hopefully pick up some Saint shifting.

Mostly though I’d live to move on all the deadwood that’s cluttering up the place. Too many bikes that I’m not using and probably never will.

scotroutes

I’ve a couple of sets of wheels I want to build for existing bikes, particularly a 650 set for my Amazon so I can try some 47mm tyres.

Beagleboy

This old girl is a rebuild project that’s been at the back of my garage for quite a few years now. She’s a 2000 / 2001 era Patriot. I really just need to get the money together for a new drive chain and she’ll be up and running again.

Absolutely amazing bike. The confidence inspiring feeling of being in the bike rather than on it, is one that I’ve never really been able to replicate, even on the more modern and whooptastic Orange’s like the Five, or my current Four.

vmgscot

Started building this last night – first change of bike in 5 years…

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Jack Thompson lives again! Just finished a rebuild of this. I was going to sell it but with the recent cold weather, I was reminded of how useful and pleasing an ice ready mile muncher can be. First ride this morning was lovely through the mist with the rising sun and the crackling sound track of the studs.

grenosteve
    Free Member

My old Cannndale bad boy 26″ needs some attention, and I’m intending to tour on it in the spring so needs some new bits.

It’s currently 1×9 with a 40t chainring and 11-32 cassette, which is fine for Sheffield/Peak hills, but probably not when fully loaded! I want to put triple gears back on the front.

Currently the mudguard fixings are very rusty, so I need to try and get those out and replace with stainless to fit a front and rear rack. I’ll likely drill the threads out of the bosses and use button heads and lock nuts to avoid it happening again.

Rear hub (hope pro 2) has a bit of play, so new bearing have been ordered.

Built a cotic roadrat in the spring, but riding the cannondale this winter has reminded me how much I love it, and actually prefer it to the roadrat. 🙂 It’s done 9 winters now though, hopefully the ally frame has a bit more life left in it!

dirkpitt74

I’ve got a few things planned – not sure I’ll get them all done though!

Dartmoor Primal to build with Marzocchi 350’s, Superstar Carbon wheels, 1*10 SLX drive train & brakes.

Convert son’s bike from 3*7 to 1*10 with some new Stan’s wheels & SRAM gearing and replace cable disc brakes with Shimano hydraulics.

Fit wider range 7spd cassette and 30t chainring to daughters bike.

Replace worn out Shimano 3*7 drive train on wife’s hand cycle with new 3*7 Shimano stuff.

And about a month off to do it all……

jakd95
    Free Member

Ideally try some 650b wheels and 42mm tyres on my 700c Charge Plug, for extra comfort.

cookeaa

I made a few extra. £5 posted?

Sold! I’ll PM you…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

RestlessNative

Had my old 1966 Mercian built up with a duo matic for a couple of years. I liked it

Thnks for that. May I ask did it put the weight distribution out by much? Rear-heavy? And what did you like about it?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I geared it so the top gear (138%) was a niceish SS road ratio then used the direct drive gear as a hill gear (43:22 with 27″ wheels). Was just nice and simple and totally different. You need to be able to hear the hub to shift it as it makes quite a different freewheel noise in top than direct. It’s a bit of a heavy hub but I only noticed when I picked the bike up the weight was at the back. Unfortunately I sold the hub after I had the 5 speed built in to the wheel otherwise I could have sent it to you to try. I had the non coaster brake version which I assume is what you were looking at.

With the duo matic

[url=https://flic.kr/p/D3WnZc]13938322_10210433650857349_1423539649205215588_o[/url] by Shawn McFarlane, on Flickr

Now with 5 speeds

[url=https://flic.kr/p/D3Wn8x]17862528_10212946451035783_6854525284119123580_n[/url] by Shawn McFarlane, on Flickr

deadkenny
    Free Member

smell_it – Member
    @ deadkenny – l think it’s more a thread on the bike’s people are building over winter chap.

Winter is still for riding 😛

Oh wait… I’ve just built this 😀 …

Not exactly a winter project. Took a few days. Though is winter I suppose.

tthew

Sort of bike related. I had an idea what to do with the Raspberry Pi (I’ve not yet bought

tthew

Weird cropping there. A 4 bike roller racing set up. That’s my plan.

takisawa2

Since Flickr stopped showing the BBB code on an IPhone (or at least hidden it where I’m too thick to find it), I can’t post my mock up pic.
    It’s a tall bike, but using an extended “longtail” chassis to mount the upper frame on. I figured being a long tail it should be more stable.

I had a go on a “Swing bike” tonight.
    Now that was fun.
    So…..

gotbike
    Free Member

So this happened to my Dolan Preffisio work bike/commuter/frankenbike the other day: https://imgur.com/a/PABJv

Have an All City Macho man to transfer parts over, replacing drivetrain at the same time.

Not as ambitious as other projects posted but still fun all the same 🙂

phil5556

Mine is a Genesis Latitude re-configure for a local town/pub/run around.

The suspension fork is going and it’s (nearly) 1×9 now. I might end up going to singlespeed.

Got some skinny tyres for it but undecided if I want to use them or get something a bit grippier.

Plan is to stop using the car for all the legal running around, time will tell if it actually gets used.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Share your winter (bike) project?’ is closed to new replies.