Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Shall we talk about The Clash & The Specials?
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

26 in a fortnight.

Listened to London Calling & Too Much Too Young, properly, for the first time in January which since then it’s turned into a full on every-day obsession with everything I can get my hands on. Bearing in mind I grew up with Greenday, Offspring, Blink, all that, the only time I gave into the ol’ man and his insistence was to Stiff Little Fingers.

Turns out both The Clash & The Specials are scathingly relevant to me right now, seriously reflecting the state of the country and its population.

Is it just a case of history repeating itself, just me, or is there something to be said for the revelation of hearing this genius perception for the first time?

fasthaggis

It’s friday night ,ask your neighbor round 🙂

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

history repeating iam afraid,”ghost town” sums up tory policy on the working man 🙁

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ll bore the arse off mrs.c later with socio-political cultural endeavours.

But enough of that… 😆

More of a push for some old folks to wax lyrical about the genius of Simonon/Hall et:al.

Pigface
    Free Member

More Strummer than Simonon

MSP

Ghost town, musically, is quite irritating it is not a good song, but I can’t help listening to it frequently and it very much connects to my view of the world, then as a child and now as an adult.

Is there a modern equivalent? Is there any way a band with a message that could chart like the clash and the specials did?

trailmonkey

Turns out both The Clash & The Specials are scathingly relevant to me right now, seriously reflecting the state of the country and its population.

absolutely. those of us that were around then have a very uncomfortable sense of deja vu right now.

glad you’ve found these great sounds.

i’m sure you’ve stumbled across this if you are building a serious specials collection but just in case you haven’t – the b-side to the original gangsters single was actually a track by the selector. an awesome piece of dub.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-TncPbB5ME[/video]

trailmonkey

Ghost town, musically, is quite irritating it is not a good song

go on then, i’ll give you a chance to explain why the most socially relevant pop record ever made is not a good song.

jam-bo

Found out recently my uncle was the original drummer in the clash.

Never rated them…

MSP

trailmonkey – Member

Ghost town, musically, is quite irritating it is not a good song

go on then, i’ll give you a chance to explain why the most socially relevant pop record ever made is not a good song.

??? did you read my whole post? Even in the part you quoted I made it clear I was referring to the “musical” qualities not the message.

trailmonkey

??? did you read my whole post?

yup, but other than to say it’s irritating, you don’t explain why

it is not a good song

just giving you a chance to explain but i rather think that you’re confusing subjectivity and objectivity.

yossarian
    Free Member

Never rated them…

Your loss mate.

MSP

trailmonkey – Member

??? did you read my whole post?

yup, but other than to say it’s irritating, you don’t explain why

it is not a good song

just giving you a chance to explain but i rather think that you’re confusing subjectivity and objectivity.

yet you seemed to miss

but I can’t help listening to it frequently and it very much connects to my view of the world, then as a child and now as an adult.

trailmonkey

whatever msp, let’s not ruin what could be an epic thread 8)

Pigface
    Free Member

Original drummer that would I guess be Terry Chimes, or Tory Crimes as he was sometimes known.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I always remember giving the Nirvana kids who hero worshipped Cobain a hard time in school, ’cause he was dead and it always seemed super sycophantic but I tend to feel the same of Strummer sometimes. particularly recently with this current state of affairs.

duntstick
    Free Member

Wonder what the yanks made of this…….[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaV9GYPSM94[/video]

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I also do get very angry at myself for listening to The Clash and thinking “That’s a Greenday chord. Edit *every “pop-punk”band since the clash*

Except it bloody isn’t and my education’s all feekd up.

Thanks Dad.

yossarian
    Free Member

cfinnimore, if you haven’t seen it already I recomend you watch ‘the future is unwritten’ and have a listen to these:

http://www.prx.org/series/27024-joe-strummer-s-london-calling

grantway
    Free Member

Not my cup of coffee but have fun !

cfinnimore
    Free Member

cheers yossarian

*edit* Lest we forget to mention the solo stuff.

Being a noob, it’s fine to reference Redemption Song in my awakening.

vdubber67
    Free Member

“They said that we were trash, well the name is Crass not Clash…”

Overblown, sellout ‘punk’. About as real as the 90s punk bands you grew up with.

Quite like The Specials though 🙂

br
    Free Member

The Clash, were decent in their day, but tbh at the time they were just another band…

+1 SLF, still rocking:

TooTall
    Free Member

the b-side to the original gangsters single was actually a track by the selector

*cough* Selecter *cough*

That was the very first record I ever bought – and it happened to be the first release on 2 Tone. I am too cool for school.

OP – well done on your discovery. Now get some Beat and Dexys Midnight Runners in there as well. You have much to learn, young Jedi.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Throw some of this in there too…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV87–6U5Xk

vdubber67
    Free Member

My mate John is currently playing bass for Selecter. Rides an Orange 5. Not sure if the two are related 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

“They said that we were trash, well the name is Crass not Clash…”

Overblown, sellout ‘punk’. About as real as the 90s punk bands you grew up with.
    Something along the lines I was going to post
    From “don’t use the rules, they’re just for fools!” to embarking on a big Led Zep-esq tour of the States. Towards the end Joe Stummer was notorious for going AWOL on gigs that didn’t sell out.
    Great Rock n Roll band tho, but there were other bands more relevant to the terrible economic troubles and other issues of the time.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

If you want some more underground and hardcore punk with an erudite and scathingly abrasive social commentary try Sub-Humans.
    Also, try Culture Shock and Citizen Fish. Both projects of Dick Lucas after the split of Sub-Humans, a punk-ska hybrid you may find interesting.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

TooTall, catch the worms, catch the worms…

You mean, there’s more than that Sweaty armpit Eileen one ? 😈

it’s good to catch up on where all this came from>
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIrdA1xDXFE[/video]

Working backwards.

Pigface
    Free Member

Oi polloi Bash the fash

Conflict the serenade is dead

Discharge Fight back

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Here we go then

Black Flag

Pulley

T.S.O.L

I have an education, just the wrong side of the ocean.

DavidB
    Free Member

Muddydwarf – subhumans havent split. Still gigging.

instanthit
    Free Member

There is also some good reading material on The Clash; try The Last Gang in town by Marcus Gray, the Rise and Fall of The Clash by Danny Garcia, or Redemption Song Chris Salewicz and if you just want pictorial pleasure and great quotes try The Clash before and after by Pennie Smith.
    They were the only band that mattered and influenced lots of people, and still do.
    Nothing stands the pressure of a clash city rocker……..

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Is Lucas back with them then? Saw him with Citizen Fish a few months back.

mrmoofo

There is also some good reading material on The Clash; try The Last Gang in town by Marcus Gray, the Rise and Fall of The Clash by Danny Garcia, or Redemption Song Chris Salewicz and if you just want pictorial pleasure and great quotes try The Clash before and after by Pennie Smith.
    They were the only band that mattered and influenced lots of people, and still do.
    Nothing stands the pressure of a clash city rocker……..

yup – about spot on …
    Just another band, my arse

Probably the articulate band of the New Wave, if not for many years …

jkomo

Althea and Donna, ‘Uptown Top Rankin’
    . Beats them all.

yunki
    Free Member

I haven’t looked at the rest of the thread… but whatever it says, jkomo is indeed correct 😀

gordimhor

Listen to the clash live at shea stadium. …fantastic.

CountZero

Saw the Clash, at Bath Pavilion… 😀

sc-xc

Also, try Culture Shock and Citizen Fish. Both projects of Dick Lucas after the split of Sub-Humans, a punk-ska hybrid you may find interesting.

Did you hear that Culture Shock are getting back together for some gigs later this year? Not quite the original line-up, but should be good.
    [/quote]

CF & Subhumans still very much going – I think it depends what mood he’s in! Off to see CF in a couple of weeks at Bearded Theory 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Shall we talk about The Clash & The Specials?’ is closed to new replies.