Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • #TOTW Settle an argument
  • avdave2

It’s B unless you live in a trailer park, are married to your cousin, sleep with your sister and hang your toilet roll against the wall in which case it’s A

CountZero

A. if you must have blinds in the UK its to stop sunlight getting in for some weird reason

the correct answer of course is get rid of the hateful dust covered things

Clearly someone who lives somewhere where there are no nearby neighbours or a busy road with a lot of foot traffic who can easily look in the windows while you’re getting up, washing, and generally wanting to have some privacy.
    The net curtains my mum favoured went years ago, the current blinds I want to replace with something a bit more stylish, but those IKEA things aren’t appropriate – I want to be able to control the amount of light coming in, along with privacy. As it happens, upstairs I have conventional Venetian blinds, downstairs I have vertical blinds.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A.

Streetlight shines in with B.

Cougar

You close blinds to keep out external light. Light sources are up in the sky. Ergo it has to be A. If you’re choosing B because it ‘looks better’ then what you need there is curtains.

Form < function. See also: hanging toilet rolls.

Can I take a wildly sexist punt on our sharky OP thinking it should be A and his missus thinking it should be B?

ransos
    Free Member

You close blinds to keep out external light.

Or for privacy.

funkmasterp

Curtains only have two modes though, open and shut. No good for those of us who live on busy streets with frontages that open directly on to the pavement. Venetians have a load of different options for privacy and letting light in or if you just fancy messing about with them on occasion. I tend to have them down and tilted back about 30 odd degrees. Plenty of light coming in, I can see out but idiots can’t walk by looking at me on the settee in my underwear

I’m about as manly as they come and still go B when closing them fully. Not sure what sort of shit, ill fitting blinds some of you have but mine do a great job blocking out the vast majority of light whilst in the only acceptable position.

kelvin

It’s B unless you live in a trailer park, are married to your cousin, sleep with your sister and hang your toilet roll against the wall in which case it’s A

You mean that in sunnier places it’s A? I guess you’re thinking USA trailer parks in the sunnier states. I don’t care where in the social structure you are, if you want to keep out direct sun it’s A. If it’s for privacy and you’re upstairs, go B.

Not sure what sort of shit, ill fitting blinds some of you have but mine do a great job blocking out the vast majority of light whilst in the only acceptable position.

What if you want light to come in, but not direct sun, because of screens and/or heat?

funkmasterp

I just adjust them to the desired angle because that’s what they’re designed for. The ones I have also block out sun really well when closed in the B position. Wooden 50mm slats, fitted well and with a proper pelmet thing at the top

willard

Assuming there are people walking outside, A. If I would like some sort of light coming into the room, B.

StuF

A – if you trying to keep warm air in the room, the slats guide the rising air into the room rather than against the cold window

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s no correct way, both do different things so adjust them according to what you want to happen. Blimey, do people not think about anything?

scotroutes

Blimey, do people not think about anything?

52% of folk choose B.

v7fmp

A.

Always A.

charliedontsurf

It depends on the temperature… you see if you want the cooler air between the window and blind to come into the room, angle B is the one to go for, as the cool air will drop down and be directed into the room by the vents.

db

The correct answer is A!

sharkattack

Thanks for the contributions everyone. I’ve taken some time to fully analyze the findings and I’ve softened somewhat on my original stance. Obviously there are situations where both configurations can be used and obviously, they are adjustable and can be left in a variety of positions throughout the day.

When they’re closed for the night though, it’s bloody well A.

No but seriously, we live in a townhouse where the living room and kitchen is up on the first floor. No one can see in or walk past and have a peep. My Mrs always puts the blinds in the B position which lets the street lights stream in from above. The most annoying thing is that we can’t see out. With them in the A position you can poke your nose through and see what’s happening outside. In B you can’t see through for a peek around when you hear a noise. It makes me feel trapped if I can’t see who’s staggering out of a taxi at 3am. B has no place in this house.

I’m sure our relationship will endure this situation and remain strong into the future.

fasthaggis

I’m sure our relationship will endure this situation and remain strong into the future.

Yeah,you say that now 😜

Cougar

Can I take a wildly sexist punt on our sharky OP thinking it should be A and his missus thinking it should be B?

Called it.

funkmasterp

The most annoying thing is that we can’t see out. With them in the A position you can poke your nose through and see what’s happening outside. In B you can’t see through for a peek around when you hear a noise.

What? You lift slats to peak out like a PI in an old movie so it doesn’t matter. I’m starting to think some of you just have broken blinds that don’t shut properly. Either that or mine are magical Venetian blinds. I’m hoping it’s the latter tbh

You lift slats to peak out like a PI in an old movie

My favorite thing to do with the blinds at home.

sharkattack

Nah the flickering blind is a dead giveaway to whoever you’re trying to silently lurk on. And what if you’ve got your hands full? Usually when I’m moving around at night I’m handling a pizza/bowl of ice cream/kilo bag of Doritos or something.

funkmasterp

It’s the fact you have a big enough gap to peak through that makes me think your blinds are possibly a bit shit.

Kilo bag of Doritos sounds ace though

sharkattack

The blinds are perfect I just deliberately never slam them closed. I prefer blocking the street lights while still having a narrow peeping gap.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just be grateful we have blinds. If they hadn’t been invented it’d be curtains for all of us.

Anyone seen my coat?
    #TOTW

Cougar

Pull yourself together, man.

jkomo

I haven’t got time for this shit, I’m late for work already, Jesus.
    B obviously.

shermer75
    Free Member

Venetian blinds are actually from Persia. Looks like we’re going to have to start the thread again, hrumph

The History of Venetian Blinds

Bunnyhop

B
    I am professional curtain maker so ‘funkmasterp’ has the correct answer.

Curtains: Keep light, noise and cold out (especially if lined and interlined). Also give total privacy.
    Venetian blinds: only keep a bit of light out and give some privacy.

Roman blinds give a mixture of the above.

desperatebicycle

I feel I must resurrect! I had some “Zebra Blinds” demonstrated to me yesterday and they seem rather good. They don’t have a “way” either, just different “positions”. Are any others aware of these window obscuration devices?

phiiiiil

We’ve got some of those – we knew them as “day and night blinds” in our house. We love them; they don’t collect dust, they can sit very close to the window and don’t get bashed by the curtains like other blinds do, you can have them fully open or fully closed or anywhere in the middle that obscures the view in but means you still get light in and can still see out enough without being on full view.

The cord goes in the other direction to that on our vertical blinds though, which does my head in. I have no idea why they have to be like this.

Plus you don’t have to have an A/B argument, so you don’t have to waste time explaining why A is just demonstrably better.

desperatebicycle

All said is true! 🙂 I had absolutely nothing to say on the A/B argument. I still haven’t.

funkmasterp

they can sit very close to the window and don’t get bashed by the curtains like other blinds do

Whoa there! Blinds and curtains at the same window. What is this madness you speak of?

phiiiiil

Whoa there! Blinds and curtains at the same window. What is this madness you speak of?

Abso-blummin’-lutely. Curtains for overnight, reducing echo and softening the starkness of blinds; blinds for privacy, or to keep the sun out because of heat or glare, and on those days when the weather is just crappy outside and you don’t want to look at it but your don’t want to shut the curtains. On days like that the house can be lighter with white blinds drawn than a dingy view outside.

mudfish

A

Daffy

Surely the shape of the blind hints that it has a dual function, otherwise why bother?

reeksy

B
    I am professional curtain maker so ‘funkmasterp’ has the correct answer.

I may be overthinking this, but if @bunnyhop is not only a curtain maker, but a professional one at that, is his opinion to be trusted? In fact are you even allowed to give blind advice? Or is that what caused the Guild of Professional Curtain Makers Ltd to fold, as it were, in 2014?

… I go with B, too. It’s like dog fur. You can’t satisfactorily stroke a blind if it’s in position A.

theotherjonv

Is it OK to mention that after over 2 decades of A-B indecision we have plantation shutters now. Which are much better at light exclusion, but still don’t solve the A-B aesthetic issue and in addition make me feel slightly uneasy when I mention the name, and want to throw myself into Bristol Harbour.

Best bit though is they look like a blind (or two because of the central vertical bar) but really are 2 (or 4) because there’s a horizontal demarcation in the blind mechanism (but no horizontal bar because that aesthetically looked shit). And we have double windows in the front room, so that means 8 blinds in one elevation.

“Why’s that good” you say? Well when we have the blinds ‘open’ to admit light / for viewing excitement, given or received, I can adjust each one slightly differently which boils my wife’s piss fantastically. If you just go for the binary options of each blind as A or B that gives me 2^8 = 256 different patterns to offer. Or if necessary, perform basic calculations on.

But as I may have said before I changed career a few years back and manage a group of quantum physicists (well, like all tech people they’re basically unmanageable – like herding cats, but that’s not the point). We’re researching qubits for Quantum Computing, etc and my blinds are a bit like 8 qubits. Because each blind can be A, or B or anywhere in between. Giving me literally infinite different ways of annoying the wife.

And best of all – I think this 0530 revelation, after reading a thread I thought I had no interest in has solved my ‘are my windows linked to the slave trade’ issues. I shall rename them…..Heisenblinds? Flynds? Bleindsteins?

Bunnyhop

LoL @ theotherjonv.

reeksy – I’m devastated that the guild of curtain makers has folded. Btw I’m a lady :O)

dirkpitt74

Definitely A – stops people being able to look through the blinds.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘#TOTW Settle an argument’ is closed to new replies.