Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Setting up a small company to handle a few rental properties. Advice/Benefit?
  • scunny
    Free Member

So we’ll be moving soon, and we’re in the lucky position that we don’t have to sell our current house. That means we’ll have 2 that we rent out, and 1 that we live in.

It’s been mentioned to us before that there are benefits to setting ourselves up as a ltd company (but i’m under the impression that it would only be beneficial to buy future houses in the company name as the cost of transfering the house from our name to the company would offset any potential tax benfits etc).

Can anyone shed some light? We’ve another appointment with the financial advisor next week so obviously i’ll be exploring this with her, but I may as well keep myself entertained in the mean time.

scunny
    Free Member

No one?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Looks like you’re in a very lucky small percentage of people.

Im sure Google will help.

scunny
    Free Member

Yeah, certainly very lucky. Although we have lived on a very minimal amount for the last year or 2 to enable us to do it. Playing the long game.

climbingkev
    Free Member

I asked the advice of people who have lots of buy to let’s and are very sharp (and legal) when it comes to tax if there are better benefits being a Ltd co and they’d all spoke to accountants and done a lot of research and said no. This is their only income and they all have LOTS of houses each and are sole traders/self employed. I’m at the “hobby” end of the spectrum and have a normal job as my main source of income. When I picked their brains regarding my situation it was a universal “don’t bother”.

Sorry, I can’t remember the specific reasons. Main benefits of being Ltd Co are the company get “done” of it all goes wrong and not you as an individual – I think.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably best to make an appointment with the accountant.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Yes, speak to an accountant rather than a financial advisor.

binners

Yeah, certainly very lucky. Although we have lived on a very minimal amount for the last year or 2 to enable us to do it. Playing the long game.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Setting up a small company to handle a few rental properties. Advice/Benefit?’ is closed to new replies.