Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sender Manual Ramps, worth it?
  • argee

I know these things are like marmite, but after my accident(s) last year i have kind of went backwards on being able to do this type of thing, and would like to really get it nailed in 2020. It really is just to get the confidence to do a proper sustained manual, i can get the wheel up but do falter when that happens, and i can usually do it where it counts, i.e. on those medium drops that just need it and so on, but i do feel i struggle getting confidence in finding and staying in the balance point, so this thing looks good for that.

So yes, i could build something, infact i did, but i worry it is going to kill the back wheel so rarely use it much, so the talk of the sender being wheel friendly is a big selling point, as is the folding it all away easily, anyone got one and any comments, i do know it won’t make me manual, but maybe it will make me more confident in the balance points, which could help me in the long term?

airvent
    Free Member

If you’re going to spend money on it surely a couple hours with a skills course would be better?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Local woods and a shovel?.

junglistjut
    Free Member

If you can already get the front wheel in the air then I’m not sure this will help you much.

Someone on here gave me a little tip that isn’t in the YouTube videos. Push away with your feet as the front comes up. I’m still learning but that little bit of info made all the difference for me.

andybrad

whats a back wheel friendly ramp when its at home?

Pyro

I’m assuming he means the Sender Ramps version of the Manual Machine thingumajig, as opposed to a folding ramp or jump. So a rig-up that holds the rear wheel steady for practicing the body movement of manuals.

kayla1
    Free Member

If you’re going to spend money on it surely a couple hours with a skills course would be better?

This is a smashing idea. There’ll be others in the same boat as you and the person teaching will be able to let you know where you’re going wrong, plus you’ll be practising with the bike actually moving around underneath you rather than held steady in a jig- you can’t do that on a stationary bike.

argee

Yeah, will be doing a skills course soon, just wanting to do something in and around the house over the winter, and this is one thing i just struggle with, as above as well, it’s the manual machine thing, not ramps, i just go down the local stuff or FoD/BPW/etc for that stuff, no real issue with ramps/jumps/etc (as long as i’m going the right speed!), but manuals have always been a nightmare and a goal for 2020, as well as not breaking any more bones!

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Tempted by one of these myself, I went through a period where I was trying to get outside on my bike even if only for 15 minutes a day as my road has a slight slope and is a cul-de-sac so it’s quiet and ideal for manual practice or bunny hops.

Then the garage got broken into and we had 4 bikes nicked, now I’m so paranoid about being seen outside the house with a bike that I basically only take the bike out to strap on the bike carrier or into the back of the car before getting out ASAP once or twice a week.

So, something to put in the garage to improve my desperately poor manuals may prove useful.

kayak23

just wanting to do something in and around the house over the winter

Wedge the back wheel between the washing machine and the fridge?

Swirly
    Free Member

I made a bodgetastic manual machine using a workmate bench and bit of wood…worked OK..I’ll try and send some pics

argee

@baldiebenty yeah, similar here, had my bikes nicked last year, so loathe to going too local, this looks like it could be a good garden type thing.

@Swirly
    , i have a bodge job, did it for my old bikes as per the youtube/GMBN instructions, but i now have bigger tyres, so have to deflate everytime, and also not 100% on the amount of lateral forces going through the wheel, so looking for a proper one, that can also be packed away after use, the bodge is still sat there though and good for practicing trackstands and so on when i’ve got the old wheels with skinnier tyres on it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sounds like you want to learn to manual to do drop offs? Go on a skills course… you don’t need to manual to do a drop.

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s not rocket science to build a manual machine that protects the back wheel…. but if you are really worried a cheap back wheel is cheaper than a manual machine and has other uses…which after a few goes you don’t need the machine any more

Our manual machine had 24 through 27.5 so has less stability built in than if I’d made it for a single wheel size and we didn’t damage a wheel. It then converted into a bike stand…

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I made one, they are easy to make. It took maybe 15mins to hold a solid manual in it.
    I still can’t manual…

Superficial
    Free Member

Sounds like you want to learn to manual to do drop offs? Go on a skills course… you don’t need to manual to do a drop.

Yeah, this.

Being able to hold a manual really has nothing to do with drops or, in fact, anything on the trail – they’re just for fun. If you want to learn how to ride better then I don’t think this will help you.

argee

It is just for fun, one of those things i want to learn for 2020 as stated earlier, drop offs aren’t the issue, i manage them ok’ish most weekends.

jlln
    Free Member

Check out Youtube Loam Ranger’s $15 manual machine which also doubles as a bike work stand.

missions
    Free Member

For those wanting to learn how to manual get a bike with a short chainstay (bmx or 26″ jump bike)
    It is going to be a lot easier to lift that front wheel with the shorter CS than with the current crop of long, low and slack bikes. Also you won’t have to lift the front wheel that high with the shorter CS as you will be getting your weight further over the backend.
    This will teach you the basic skills which you could then take across to the trails.

elvisparsley
    Free Member

I borrowed a sender manual machine as I just couldn’t get my mind off going off the back. Once I’ve got the getting off thing sorted I’m confident I’ll be able to progress with trail manuals. So recommended as long as it’s borrowed or made as they’re quite expensive.

malv173
    Free Member

I had a go on one in Fort William at the last WCDH. there. I thought it was great fun! I’m not sure how well it translates to the trails, but it should help with being more consistent with getting your weight as far back as you need, and with the forwards and backwards movements to keep yourself steady without using the brake.

I also can’t manual, btw.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sender Manual Ramps, worth it?’ is closed to new replies.