Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Secure bike lock for garage
  • DezB
    Free Member

Following Hora's question about leaving bikes in the garage.
    I bought this lock about 10-15 years ago, used to be advertised in the back of MTBPro (one of the old mags anyway).
    Since the internet and the rise in expensive bike ownership, this company has disappeared…
    Do we reckon there would be a market for such an item?
    Not a great pic, but I think you get the idea from it:

br
    Free Member

but surely they just need to cut the block out of the wall?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I'd imagine that being so long, you'd be able to get enough leverage on it to wrench it out of the wall fairly easily

hora
    Free Member

How secure (and how deep) do the bolts run into that breeze block?

I'd attempt to lever it off the wall with a crowbar inbetween the grout and the wooden block along with someone leaning against the tip of the lock

Otherwise if it was great kit I'd saw through your frames.

Not all thieves speek lik this m8. I imagine alot of stolen motorbikes from garages etc are nicked by organised motorbike rider-thieves as well who do their research, know their market/haul and live an additional income off of it.

DezB
    Free Member

b r – Member
    but surely they just need to cut the block out of the wall?

Er, they could do that! Break into the garage, cut a hole in the wall, somehow working their way around the bikes locked against it. The wall is joined to the house… But then the bikes are still locked to the bars 😕
    You really think they'd bother?

scotbike
    Free Member

Agreed – the length of the lock makes a good lever to break the wall/smash the breeze block out. I prefer my pair of shallow concreted in ground anchors with lost head bolts. 4 different type locks on three bikes. Garage is also alarmed and proximity lit. A couple of locals still decided to try and get my bikes.

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez, no lock is infallible! And neither is keeping bikes in the house.

So the 15-odd years and 3 houses I've had it in, I've just been lucky, I guess!

hora
    Free Member

If its a casual/opportunist theft attaching cast iron dumbells (the old fashioned ones) by chains to your bike will also dissuade attempt to carry away however a repeated-visit OR someone who has been watching you (word would get around where there is some good 'kit' to be had) would mean someone would come equipped or would be determined enough.

On the other thread someone mentioned they'd been broken in multiple times but bikes not taken (yet).

RustyMac

As posted in other thred. I have heard good things about these almax chains and locks.

Almax

The videos on the home page make interesting viewing.

hora
    Free Member

I saw that, any independent tests?

pedalhead
    Free Member
    RustyMac

a quick google finds these :-

inependant review

And i can't find any videos on youtube showing people getting into them. i know they have been reviewed well in motorbike mags – saw a test in a mag at the local fish and chip shop.

U31
    Free Member

Cordless reciprocating saw, cordless grinder. Both make swhort work of most lock systems for a determined thief.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

But then the bikes are still locked to the bars

Whereby they will pop them in a van and cut the lock off somewhere else where they won't disturb anyone….

There's a good review of locks and ground anchors in the latest Cycling Plus that dropped through me door yesterday, Pragmasis (or something like that) get the nod.

TooTall
    Free Member

As mentioned, the occurrences of cutting through frames to nick bikes makes locking them up secondary to securing the building they are in and preventing access in the first place.

It seems putting bikes in the same building as a 'hora' also renders them thiefproof.

DezB
    Free Member

Cutting through frames to nick bikes? What's the point in that?

U31
    Free Member

Forks, wheels, brakes, mechs and cranks aint marked with numbers, so the frame is valueless

mrben100
    Free Member

From bitter experience, theives always go to the weak point and figure out how to get the locks off later.

At my old place, having already had one bike nicked from the garage, my new bike had 2no. locks on it as well as an armoured cable around anything quick release.

Trouble is it was all locked to a 50x50mm steel punched bag frame that was concreted into the ground.

They just cut the punch bag frame to pieces – bugger me how I didn't hear it.

Around £4500 of bikes gone in 6 months. Targetted.

Needless to say we've moved and I'm no longer bitter(****ing Bastids!) 😥

mrben100
    Free Member

Oh yeah, they ripped the additional padlocks off the garage door which I had put there after the first burgulary!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Secure bike lock for garage’ is closed to new replies.