• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mrjmt.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Second hand running buggies
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

We are looking for a second hand running buggy, but are really struggling.

Part of the problem is that we’ve no idea what model we want.

Searching on eBay and gumtree is difficult as there’s not really a generic term for them as far as I can tell.

Anybody have any tips on what and where to look out for them?

simon_g

Chariot (later acquired by Thule) Cougar and Cheetah are pretty common. Many are listed as trailers but come with (or you can easily buy) the kit with the single front wheel for running.

richardkennerley

Recommend what you got…. Baby jogger summit x3.

I also have a thule chariot for trailer duties. The baby jogger makes a much better all purpose pram, it’s awesome.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

A friend has recommended a Bob?

Starting to wonder if they’re all fairly similar and not to worry about which one we get?!?

turboferret

copied from the budgie thread 🙂

Assuming you are looking for a running buggy, not a budgie, my best purchase was £20 from eBay. It was simply advertised as 3 Wheel Jogger, opening £20 bid was the only one. Looks like this but does have a removable canopy:

I think it’s a Super Jogger, and American brand.

It’s fast and copes with all the terrain I’ve found for it, but is very long and isn’t exactly ideal for shopping etc. The bigger the wheels, the faster the buggy, this has 20″ wheels I think. Totally stable, pretty light.

Conversely I bought a Phil and Teds Sub 4 as an upgrade and it was a disaster. Half price at £350 I thought was good value, independent rear suspension, disk brakes etc, and as it was advertised as the worlds fastest jogger, I thought it had to be an improvement over my £20 eBay special.

Turned out not to be…. At normal running pace (4:00-4:15m/km) it was fine, but at anything quicker (~3:20m/km parkrun speed) it was an unstable liability. Turned out that the rear wheels had adjustable toe angle, and would naturally slip and toe-out, giving natural instability. On slightly bumpy terrain at speed, as soon as the front wheel was off the ground for a moment, it would dart violently off either left or right

Sent it back for a full refund and have been happier with my eBay special every since

If I were buying another, I’d probably consider a Thule, they look good and without all the extra weight of suspension and lots of covers and storage etc.

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Rich

Gotama
    Free Member

We have a Croozer Kid for 2 (link below) that I’m going to be selling. It has the single running wheel, shopping wheel and the bike trailer attachment. Bought it a couple of years ago to take the kids out behind the bike but my eldest is not that way inclined as she doesn’t like bumps so it didn’t really get much use. Haven’t got a price in my head yet but drop me a mail if it is of interest.

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m53b0s282p17107/CROOZER-Kid-for-2-2016

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Mrsmf has used a Baby Jogger Performance for both ours, no complaints. We got the proper hood / raincover with it as a bundle. It weighs about as much as a mars bar yes is solidly build, goes in a straight line without any wobbling around and has “proper” wheels & tyres, and a decent harness & seat for the nipper.

Shame you’re not asking in six months time, this will be the last year its needed for us…

turboferret

The Baby Jogger Performance looks very much like an updated version of my Super Jogger, as such I’d give that a thumbs up too.

Cheers, Rich

theocb
    Free Member

Keep an eye out for an- Out ‘n’ about Sport V3

neilnevill
    Free Member

Got a Bob Ironman for my OH, she loves it but has used it very little so far (pregnant again so not running at the moment)

batfink
    Free Member

We bought a Thule “urban glide”

very pleased with it…. bought after reading the reviews on here:https://www.babygearlab.com/topics/getting-around/best-jogging-stroller

turboferret

A few likely looking good value options on eBay at the moment:

Baby Jogger 1
    Baby Jogger 2
    Baby Jogger 3

Cheers, Rich

Travis

We had a Bob one first time around. Thought we would never use it again, then had to by another, so we bought 2nd hand. The difference between the two, is that the 2nd doesn’t have a brake.

In some small way, I found the brake useful, just for tethering downhills, or coming into a corner.

We found it on Sphock

siwhite
    Free Member

Keep an eye out for an- Out ‘n’ about Sport V3

We have an earlier version, without the adjustable handle – I found it flexed quite a bit.

Older Out and Abouts are fairly cheap on eBay and bombproof. We use it as our primary ‘walk from home’ buggy as we are straight onto footpaths – smaller wheels are impossible. In fact, we take the Out and About unless we know we will only be going into a town AND space in the car isn’t a problem – it’s fine in shops, just a bit longer than some. I took the crappy brake off as we never used it and it got bunged up with mud on a winter walk.

tang
    Free Member

We had the super jogger for all 3 kids. Traveled the world with it and took it on mainly unsuitable terrain! Brilliant.

turboferret

The first time I did a group run with my running club and brought the minion in the Super Jogger I requested to stay on tarmac or gravel. Turned out to be totally unnecessary and now we don’t make any concessions to the buggy regarding terrain or surface steep hills or mud aren’t an issue 😀

I think my marathon improvement is partly down to a couple of months of 12-20 mile runs with the buggy which I find correspond with about a 15 BPM increase in HR over solo for the same pace – keeping up with a lively group can require some commitment 😆

Cheers, Rich

funkmasterp

Read the title as Second Hand Running Buddies which made me chuckle. Sorry OP, nothing else to add

mrjmt
    Free Member

Noticed the out and about sport v4, generally go for £200+ on ebay, they’re only £250 new!

mrjmt
    Free Member

Just noticed your post about the croozer Gotama, would have been ideal if it was a single, no plans to have another one!
    I think we’ll look for a trailer type one as I’ll use it to drop her at nursery on my way to work eventually, so no point in buying twice.
    I’ll have a butchers at the Thule offerings, spotted a couple at parkrun this morning that looked quite good.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Second hand running buggies’ is closed to new replies.