Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • SDW preference for HT or FS? Couple of bits to consider within.
  • weeksy

So I’ve done the SDW 3 times now.
    Commencal Meta 55, giant xtc29, Whyte t130.

As with most horrific things we do in life I’ve blocked most of it out, so looking for thoughts here.

Yesterday we did the Ridgeway, about half the SDW distance but not half the climbs for sure.

Due to relative fitness I found it fine, my pace was dictated by the others, so I had plenty in reserve. I was riding the t130 with light fast Trail Boss fitted. My question to myself and you is, when you consider the relative power loss of a FS, is that outweighed by comfort?
    My Parkwood HT is a 29er and weight is very close to the t130. Lower flatter bars though on the HT.

So bearing in mind the goal is to make it as easy as possible for myself, which do I pick? Hmmm.

mccraque

Having the same dilemma as it happens! I’m toying with attempting the sdw double on my 29HT. Did 52 miles
    Of it today and think the energy saved on the HT may outweigh the fatigue factor of the comfier ride. I’ve recently added a carbon flex seat post though and it’s been a bit of a revelation in improving comfort on the Ht

weeksy

Interesting info. I’ve just weighed them using “pick the bike up and stand on scales” which puts the HT Parkwood at 2 lb lighter. Now assuming the Whyte is 13.5kg as advertised, that puts the Parkwood as 12.5. (obviously these are open to debate but for discussion context it will do.)

Now, throwing in a curve ball

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/specialized-chisel-comp-x1-2019-mountain-bike.html?aid=63384&gclid=CjwKCAjw_YPnBRBREiwAIP6TJ4QTrQEyVtzFAD4AXvF8fllgAG0kH7TZHesUJ7HrkNF74Kp8lRLE2RoC35wQAvD_BwE

Reviews have that as 11.6kg so another kg off. But we’re then getting into crazy purchases to levels of insanity.

I’m going to do a 10 miles loop this week with HR monitor fitted, compare both time and HR to work out which works best.

Carbon flex post?

I could also drop 300-500gr off the Parkwood with little things like carbon bars and bottle cage, pedals, etc
    As it’s currently a turbo bike I don’t have any of the light stuff fitted to it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

relative power loss of a FS, is that outweighed by comfort?

Haven’t tests shown the former to be more in the mind?

weeksy

I have no idea fella, hence the discussion.

It’s part of the ‘are 29ers quicker than 27.5’ that’s in my head too.

senorj

If you’re doing it again as a social ride , the full suss. If you want to challenge yourself ,the hard tail.
    I’m just fettling my slop bike bike hardtail for a final hurrah on the sdw …before I break it up.
    If I can do it on a cx then surely you’ll be fine .

Kryton57

I’m going to do a 10 miles loop this week with HR monitor fitted, compare both time and HR to work out which works best.

That wont work as you think, as he second ride will be affected by elevated HR at the start due to the prior ride and a greater occurrence of cardiac drift.

weeksy

you’re doing it again as a social ride , the full suss.

Yup. Social one again, one day I wouldn’t mind trying on my own.

weeksy

That wont work as you think, as he second ride will be affected by elevated HR at the start due to the prior ride and a greater occurrence of cardiac drift

Could do it an hour later? Or even the next day.

lesgrandepotato

FS as long as is it’s not some sort of gnarpoon type affair. I’d happily use my 100mm niner for that. Having done a couple of 12hrs bouncy bikes are pretty prevalent.
    I’d take comfort over efficiency any day.

senorj

In that case I’d say full suss but…..
    New bike!! Crack on.
    🙂

chiefgrooveguru

“I’m going to do a 10 miles loop this week with HR monitor fitted, compare both time and HR to work out which works best.”

If you do the same loop four times, twice this week (FS then HT) and twice next week (HT then FS), then that should give you a decent comparison, assuming the ground conditions don’t change much.

Kryton57

Could do it an hour later? Or even the next day.

Next day at exactly the same time with exactly the same breakfast, yep.  But what he said, the FS comfirm will be better over a lobnger distance as the FS will take some impact.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Can so relate to this debate and for what it’s worth I’ve decided ona short travel FS XC type with a nod to comfort in grips, saddle, etc for personal preference.

Have done the light hardtail thing and yes it is way fast but it hurts longer term – for me at least.

I think the general view would be whatever works for you but as I man that increasingly rides a long way each ride then i’m going ‘comfort’ if you call a 100mm full sus comfort 😉

Seriously though for me much better.

Have fun whatever.

James

weeksy

I don’t have any other use for a short travel FS though, if I bought a HT it can at least then double as the turbo bike. I honestly don’t expect to purchase anything for it, so it’s pretty sure to be one of my current bikes.

mattbee

I did the whole lot last May and regularly ride biggish chunks of it on a 29er hardtail and it’s proved absolutely fine, with a decent fit and a comfy saddle & grips I’ve never felt like a fs would be better or faster.

mccraque
    avdave2

I did 50 miles a couple of weeks ago from the Brighton area to the start at Eastbourne and back on my fully rigid + bike and that was fine, I need a different saddle as the current one is too flat for what I like but I certainly didn’t feel beaten up. Why no go with the Parkwood just so each time you’ve done it has been on a different bike.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Anything over 10 hours and the comfort of a FS will generally allow you to keep going at a better pace as you are not fighting an aching butt, wrists, neck etc that a HT will dish out to you – strip off the dropper post, fit some faster tyres and don’t take the kitchen sink.

four
    Free Member

I’ve done the SDW twice (last year and year before) first year was on an Orange Four and second time a Cotic Soul LS. I’ve ridden sections of the SDW numerous times on FS and HT bikes.

FS is definitely easier on the body, personally I’d not chose a HT over a FS for anything – there are so many different types of FS now.

Like you I own a T130, mine is RS carbon 2018. Great bike but bloody heavy! Last weekend I rode a Cannondale Scalpel Si 29er – in my opinion this would be the idea bike for the SDW.

T130 out of your choice in your opening post – it’s comfortable and rides very well but it will get tiring on the climbs – but you already know this.

muggomagic

If you are comfortable on the HT over long periods in the saddle then go for that. Personally I can’t do much more than around 4 hours in the saddle on a HT before it becomes uncomfortable. All that jarring from rough ground that you are barely even aware of when fresh starts to take it toll on me, then after another hour or so my back is absolutely ruined.

weeksy

Surprisingly, the WTB Trail Boss light and fast seem to do really well in the tests for rolling/speed. Stands up well to their performances over the weekend, they certainly seemed to go well enough.
    Will still do the testing, but i’m leaning towards the comfort of the T-130.

I guess a really nice light Scott Spark would be even better… but that’s costing a small fortune to go down that road.

muggomagic

I guess a really nice light Scott Spark would be even better… but that’s costing a small fortune to go down that road.

It’s certainly worked for me 🙂

weeksy

Did a baseline test today, slight headwind. Lovely conditions though. Was also a test on the Shockwiz which was 1-2 clicks of rebound out, but pretty close as i set it up.

There’s no doubt the HT is quick at covering ground…. None at all. There’s also no doubt it’s a fair bit bumpier than the T-130 LOL…. All of which we already knew of course. But what does that tell me as the answer… Not a lot.

TimP
    Free Member

I’ll be doing it with MM up there in a couple of weeks and a few others. There is a huge variety in the bikes we will all be using, from a rigid carbon bike through to pretty long travel FS bikes.

Personally I have put 29″ wheels on my steel plus bike over taking my Orange Segment. I was going down the lighter is better route, hence the wheel swap, and I was going to go with rigid forks, but after my first 30+ mile ride my hands were blistered and my wrists were killing me. The steel forks are not much lighter than a set of Fox 32’s so that was a pretty simple decision.

wwaswas

I’m the idiot planning to ride with TimP and MM on a rigid carbon bike with large light tyres. Planning a few 4-5 hour rides to test my theory that a frame bag and bottles will mean less weight on my hands and bum and that a carbon post and Ti bars together with a relatively compliant frame and fork will be enough compensation on the downhills to make the value of a light bike on the climbs worth the loss of comfort.

TimP
    Free Member

I “just” need to have less pies and pints in the next couple of weeks to reduce the weight on my hands and bum 🙁

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m riding the SDW in a day with MM, TP and WWW in a few weeks, I’ll be on my usual full-suss trail bike running a lovely and plush 130mm rear and 160mm up front. It certainly won’t be the fastest up any of the climbs, but that would be true whatever the bike was with me riding it, and the SDW in a day certainly ain’t no race. But what I do know is that it’s a comfortable bike that I am very used to, and it’ll look after me in the later stages when fatigue really sets in.
    Each to their own though, I’ve done the SDW many times over the years on a range of different bikes …even a few times on a 26er!! 😉

weeksy

Where was my invite?

muggomagic

Where was my invite?

more than welcome to join us. We’re doing in on 8th June to raise some money for our mate who’s the injured rider in the sticky post.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘SDW preference for HT or FS? Couple of bits to consider within.’ is closed to new replies.