Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Scrapyard Challenge: classic road bike content
  • neilthewheel

I found this 1979 Carlton frame at Recyke Y’ Bike in Newcastle. It had a groupset and brakes but no fork, bars or wheels:

Now it looks like this:

I don’t imagine it would please the purists but I really like the way it turned out!
    Anyone else enjoy tickling up old wrecks?

Speshpaul

nice, now enjoy

Edric64
    Free Member

Looks really good ,I prefer old steel bikes

butcher

Cracking job.

ton

looks fantastic.
    i love old steel bikes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lovely!

First picture is rather depressing, though.

duntstick
    Free Member

Looks great, but be careful not to garrotte yourself when you ride on the hoods 🙂

neilthewheel

First picture is rather depressing, though.

Everything finds a home. They get rebuilt by volunteers and sent to Africa, or sold locally.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Everything finds a home. They get rebuilt by volunteers and sent to Africa, or sold locally.

Now that’s something I like. A lot.

Excellent.

neilthewheel
    TimothyD
    Free Member

If you didn’t mind about being period correct you can get dual pivot brakes which have the same reach.

PePPeR

That looks brilliant, I’ve a Peugeot sitting somewhere which I really ought to get out of hhibernation!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Tidy

stooo
    Free Member

Lovely job!

I’m mid build on an Alan Michael frame, from 1990, built with Excel Tubing… very rare stuff. Each tube is made of 4 panels and there’s 4 weld beads along each tube. It’s got super short chainstays and a curved seat tube too.

I’ve got full 1991 8spd chorus to go on it, including hubs. Just waiting on the wheel build to be finished.

tlr

That’s lovely op.

Not quite such a contrast, but I did this up last year for L’Eroica.

neilthewheel

tlr – nice! It looked pretty good to begin with to be fair.
    The sidepulls actually seem to work well. The only thing I might have done differently was use 700c rims as 27″ really limits the tyre choice. Mind, the Panaracers make for a lovely floaty ride.

ollybus
    Free Member

Picked this up from a pal last week

Needs a bit of fettling but already rides beautifully

nedrapier

Nice work, neil. What are the tyres? My uncle’s “refurbing” a Colnago for this year’s Eroica and he’s after some skinwall/creamwall larger volume tyres.

“Refurbing” is in quotes because it’s pretty mint already! Hardly a scrapheap challenge! Wheels, tyres and a more forgiving gear range mainly. I’ll see if I can get some pics.

rusty90
    Free Member

Very nicely setup tlr. Record groupset? Slightly shorter brake cables and front cable routed behind the bars and it would be perfect IMO.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Love tinkering with old bikes, not to the standard you have done, hat’s off to you!

neilthewheel

The tyres are Panaracer Pasela 27 x 1 1/4. A bit chunky from a looks point but good quality and a forgiving ride. Ideal for l’eroica I would imagine.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Scrapyard Challenge: classic road bike content’ is closed to new replies.