Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Scott scale carbon…
  • colwyn58
    Free Member

Been tempted by one of these for a while now to replace the alu “race machine”…!

Firstly, are the claimed shock absorbing properties of carbon (compared to alu) actually true in reality or is this a little bit of a marketing ploy.

Secondly, is the ride too harsh/rigid for enduro 12 hour type stuff? (currently have an anthem for such duties).

Thirdly, do they size up small? At 5’11” and average proportions would I be looking at a large?

Finally, please post any pics you have of one to tempt me further…!

PS If answers to the above seem positive is anyone flogging one?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

whats you alu bike ?

i did back to back riding of the same course on an 21lb XTC build and a 23lb Merida flx 3000d carbon frame and the difference was incredible .. was like riding my old heckler , only without the side to side flex !

so in that instance the carbon propertys were apparent

clubber
    Free Member

I’d suggest that the difference isn’t as big as trail_rat seems to have found (a carbon hardtail isn’t like riding a full susser, unless the full susser’s knackered…) but there is a noticeable smoothing of impact – USUALLY. The thing with carbon is that it really does depend on how the bike’s been designed. Carbon bikes could easily be harsh as hell or super floppy.

I’d say that the Scale should be fine for 12 hr riding but equally I wouldn’t expect it to be as comfortable as your Anthem though depending on the course, it could prove to be faster. There are a lot of variables to consider – fitter people who ride more will usually cope better with a hardtail on a longer event than people who don’t ride so much where added comfort/lack of beating will allow them to ride for longer even if the ultimate pace is slightly lower.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Scott scales are quite harsh for a carbon frame, they are built for stiffness and lightweight.
    That said, they are still more comfortable than most alu frames.

Other manufacturers, Merida being one of them are built a little heavier, still being stiff but more comfortable.

As a very generalised remark, the lighter the carbon frame, the more harsh the ride.

Pickles
    Free Member

I’m almost exactly your height and have a frame in Large, which is about the perfect size, if you intend to go racing, you’d probably be a little cramped on a medium.
    As for the harshness – I guess it’s kid of subjective. It’s certainly stiff and quick, and it’ll beat you up a bit over rocky ground. It didn’t strike me as being notably harsh when I first got it.
    I’ve had mine 3 years (Scale 20), and love that it can play a being a road bike with narrow slicks on and the forks locked out, but is still great fun over all the trails at Afan.

trail_rat
    Free Member

also depends on how harsh your alloy hardtail is for comparison … the XTC i had was like having a brush pole rammed up your arse at every bump !

colwyn58
    Free Member

Thanks all, suggestions other than a scale for a less harsh carbon ride…?!

Rip
    Free Member

Here’s mine:

It’s a medium and I’m 6’0″. I also have a Spark in the same size and find it just about right.

Personally, I find it to be a great ride and rarely choose the Spark now for it’s comfort.

matt_outandabout

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

The Whyte 19 race seems to got a great writeup in the latest WBM…

Smiker
    Free Member

I’d have no qualms recommending a scale as an endurance race bike. I had one until moving overseas – as I preferred to take the one MTB with me and took my spark. But in hindsight, I think I should’ve brought the scale!

Plenty of friends raced marathons, 12’s, 24’s etc on scales, partly due to weight, partly due to the handling and also because they have 2 bottle mounts.

Size wise, I’m 5’11” (if I stand up straight!) and was happy on a large with a 110m stem flipped for a low position.

Smiker

flatback
    Free Member

i am 6 foot and the large fits my great, they are a little short in the top tube compared to some bikes, its 15mm shorter than my 19 inch specialized stumpjumper hardtail so i use a 15mm longer stem

last year i had a scale 30 and it was very stiff and this year i have the more expensive scale 10 the frame is 110grams lighter,but it absorbs more of the trail buzz and in my opinion is a less harsh ride than the 30 but them again you can squeese the top tube with your fingers and see it bend

cozmobozo
    Free Member

Rip, that scale looks a bit small for you. At 6ft unless you have a short inside leg then you should be on a large. Im suprised you dont find it cramped to ride.

Spec looks nice though. Im also looking for a carbon hardtail and fancying a scale, trek or stumpy but think ill have to go second hand so i guess it depends which i find first! That new stumpy carbon frame looks very tasty

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Scott scale carbon…’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM