Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Scope creep
  • bensales
    Free Member

Isn’t it funny how things escalate? I stripped the winter bike down yesterday to give it it’s Spring tidy up. It’s now about 13 years old, and still mostly the original bits. A Kinesis T frame, 105 group, Easton finishing kit.

Once in bits, I thought the frame looked a bit tatty so I looked into getting it painted. Couple of hundred quid there. Maybe not. Could I do it myself with rattle cans? Hmm, about 100 quid for all the supplies to do that. Oh, what’s that? I can get a new T2 V3 frame for £200? In black? Go on then…

Mechs are looking a bit tired. They’ve done about 10k winter miles. Wonder how much new ones are? Oh, complete 105 5800 group, in black, for £250? Be rude not to.

Now, with everything black, those silver wheels are going to stand out a bit. Some Shimano RS610 tubeless wheels in black? Thank you Mr ChainReaction.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

SPLURGE!
    good on you
    wish i had the spare, tho probably good i don’t or i’d be at it all the time : )

Riksbar

So it’s the same, bike, just with a few new parts. 😆

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Triggers broom love it

bensales
    Free Member

So it’s the same, bike, just with a few new parts.

Er. Yeah. 🙂

But it’s black. That’s important.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I bet you could build another bike with the leftover bits. You could use it as a winter bike.

bensales
    Free Member

The old frame is covered in rather rubbish paint stripper, so that may be a write-off from an economic point of view.

Joking aside, the group was extremely tired. The STIs are battered, and the mechs are on their last legs. The chainrings are shot, and they were some funny BCD that year of 105 so I doubt I can get replacements. BB was also shot. All the finishing kits is fine, EA50 is bomb proof. Needed new cables and bar tape, but I’d expected that (and only that!). The wheels will become spares as they’ll fit both this and the summer bike. The rims aren’t far off the wear marks however.

Did I mention the new stuff is black?

And 11spd.

Bregante

I suffer from this. Current thoughts are also based on a Kinesis. I have a very well used Pro 5 which has a dink in the down tube. The paint is in very poor condition and have looked at stripping and powder coating. Forks are fine.

But – I can get a Crosslight 5t frameset for £250. Then again. I have some spare bars, stem, crankset and rear derailleur. Not to mention some wheels….. So if I bought a set of forks I’d almost have a new CX bike, leaving the old Pro 5 for Turbo duties.

There you go – that’s probably £400 before I’ve even started.

slackman99
    Free Member

If you want a link to some proper paint stripper let me know. Just been stripping a frame today with some stuff from eBay and it’s like the (good) old nitromors

CheesybeanZ

Scope creep

Thought this was a gun thread .

mattbee

Mission creep.
    Scope creep is the slight movement of a scope when it isn’t locked down tight enough in the mounts to resist the forces of recoil.
    😉

bensales
    Free Member

If you want a link to some proper paint stripper let me know. Just been stripping a frame today with some stuff from eBay and it’s like the (good) old nitromors

Very interested in that. Might be able to salvage a permanent turbo-trainer bike out of this.

bensales
    Free Member

Mission creep.
    Scope creep is the slight movement of a scope when it isn’t locked down tight enough in the mounts to resist the forces of recoil.

I’m an IT bod. Change in requirements is scope creep to us soft-handed folk.

slackman99
    Free Member

EBay item number 300935595864

Ate through the plastic pot I put some in after about 20mins.

garage-dweller

Bensales +1 for professional services. Enjoy your mostly new bike op. You are worse than me.

tonyg2003

A knackered XT crankset (splines worn) and some older 10speed parts turned into ordering a XT 11 speed groupset!

jamiesilo
    Free Member

just a pair of forks is enough justification really.
    “hmm, bee good to get a nice cheap hardtail frame to put these on…”
    etc

bensales
    Free Member

Thanks Slackman99. I thought Dichloromethane products were no longer available in the uk.

slackman99
    Free Member

They are for domestic sales. I imagine these guys decant from a large vat into smaller tins for ‘professional’ use

bensales
    Free Member

Built now. From the old bike I’ve kept the bars, saddle, and seat post, so I guess it’s actually a new bike.

And it’s black, that bit’s important.

(Bars only look weird due to the angle of the photo 🙂 )

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Scope creep’ is closed to new replies.