Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Scenic cafes, South Wales
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I have enjoyed walking to my local chain coffee drive-through and sitting in with a coffee whilst working, because it has big windows and whilst not really a nice view there are trees and lots of daylight which helps.

Any ideas of a place I could ride or drive to with similar windows, space and/or view? So far I can think of Dyffryn Gardens NT cafe or the one at Rest Bay overlooking the sea. That’s always been rammed when I’ve been there on sunny summer weekends but should be quiet enough on a cool October weekday I think, if it’s still open. Or perhaps the cafe at Llandegfedd, but not actually been there before.

Oh, I’m in Cardiff btw so maybe there’s some leafy place in one of the parks? I’ve been to the one at Roath Park but I wouldn’t want to spend 2 hours in there.

ElShalimo

The garden in the Fig Tree cafe in Abergavenny is nice

molgrips
    Free Member

Looks good, but that cake selection is gonna make dieting hard.

reluctantjumper

Cosmeston Lakes and the RSPB Wetlands centre in Newport spring to mind. Porthkerry County Park west of Barry is another.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Verdis in Mumbles or Castella Mare ( think thats right) in Bracelet Bay?

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Bit leftfield maybe, but what about the biker cafe / van in the layby , just past Pen – Y – Fan?
    Lovely cup of tea and cheese sandwich last time I went.

ElShalimo

Llanthony Priory

WhiteRussian
    Free Member

Waterloo Tea, Waterloo Gardens, Penylan.

bonni

Sugarloaf vineyard, Abergavenny

SaxonRider

The Coffee One in Pontcanna has huge windows, is spacious, and seems to attract quite a number of people with your idea. And Mrs SR has just mentioned the cafe inside Cardiff Castle. It has some serious windows, and looks across the Castle grounds. Finally, there is a coffee shop in St David’s 2, there is a coffee shop on the second level on the left-hand side (when you’re facing the castle) that overlooks the Hayes.

Oh, and two more suggestions: there are numerous cafes in Penarth, and of course, there is the cafe on the ground floor of the Millennium Centre across from the free stage and beside the souvenir shop. That one is actually quite peaceful, and proffers a great view of the Basin.

welshfarmer

The view from the cafe on the Brecon Mountain Railway on the shores of Pontsticyll Reservoir is pretty good.

And I approve of Llanthony Priory since I live more or less next door 🙂

bigginge

Can’t say that the view was any good (think it mostly looks out at Morrison’s if I’m remembering correctly) but the food would definitely get me back into Bean and Bread in Abergavenny if I’m ever back over that way. Fairly pleasant space inside too if you don’t want to spend too much time looking out the front windows.

https://www.beanandbread.co.uk/

verses

The beach hut cafe on Mumbles pier is worth a visit

IdleJon

The beach hut cafe on Mumbles pier is worth a visit

I’m curious now – didn’t even know there was a cafe on the pier!

Verdis in Mumbles or Castella Mare ( think thats right) in Bracelet Bay?

In theory I’d agree, but they don’t have great views unless you sit outside and are tolerant of Daily Mail toting codgers 😀 . I’d suggest that the cafe in Caswell is better and the Bistro in Langland is even betterer. I have no idea what the view is from the place on the beach in Oxwich is like because I can’t get a table, but it may be good. Coast Cafe in Swansea Marina has a nice, riverside, slightly industrial view, although my capuccino last week was actually a milky coffee. There’s also that place in Rhossili on the cliff top but I haven’t been inside there for decades – it must have one of the best views in the UK.

alanl
    Free Member

Penarth Pier?

ferrals
    Free Member

There’s also that place in Rhossili on the cliff top

The Bay Bistro is nice for food and coffee, i am not a fan of the worms head pub though!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Scenic cafes, South Wales’ is closed to new replies.