Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Saved myself the price of a new shed…
  • epicyclo

Like many here, I have a bad attack of the N+1 syndrome.

I was at the point of thinking I need another shed (I have 2) when I realised there was a simple solution.

I am flooring the attic in our “new” house and commiserating with myself about how small it was. The roof line is lower than our other house which I have floored to the edges, but there was no way I could contort myself to do the job here.

Then a wee light went on in my head. By running some longitudinals along between the trusses, I would have a perfect rack for bike wheels. These are the biggest space thieves of all – unstackable, won’t stand up on their own, don’t like mixing with their own kind.

So half an hour later, first rack completed. There’s 22 wheels there and plenty space. I’ll build a similar rack on the other side to take the rest of the loose wheels, and then repeat the process at the other end of the house for my loose rims. Next step is to put a shelf above for tyres – every wheel needs a tyre. 🙂

Now there’s tons of room in my shed, I don’t need another one – all for the cost of about a dozen screws and some lengths of plank.

So bloody obvious I’m kicking myself. I could have had more bikes…. 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

Cripes….. thats exactly what I need….
    I’d never have thought of that in a million years!

nealglover
    Free Member

Those prebuilt roof trusses aren’t designed to carry any additional weight, and depending on the builder of your house, the tolerances may have been fairly tight when speccing them to buy in.

Just something to think about, don’t load them up too much.

jerseychaz

You’ve got a fair margin for wind and snow loading, don’t worry (IANAE!)

nealglover
    Free Member

You’ve got a fair margin for wind and snow loading, don’t worry

Good advice.

Providing he unloads them every time it’s windy or it snows 😉

footflaps

What do you need 22 wheels for?

stuey
    Free Member

27.5″ makes your purlins come alive 🙂

stuey
    Free Member

@footflaps “11 bicycles” 😉

epicyclo

footflaps – Member
    What do you need 22 wheels for?

Who said I had only 22 wheels?

That’s just one bit. 🙂

I frankenstein quite a few bikes each year to try out various ideas, or just to take the niche piss, and usually build wheels to match the bike. Then the bike gets disassembled and disappears into the attic or the shed, or robbed for parts. Plus there’s the bikes I have as collectables and vintage spares.

However with this being a smaller house for our retirement, I’ll have to do a cull soon.

epicyclo

Now got a handlebar rack too!

The rack for forks came provided with the house. Wasn’t that thoughtful of the builder? 🙂

nealglover – Member
    Those prebuilt roof trusses aren’t designed to carry any additional weight..

I gave that some thought. I always heed a warning.

You can only get 4 to 5 wheels between each set of trusses without cramming them in. That’s a max load of about 5kg between each truss.

nealglover
    Free Member

You can only get 4 to 5 wheels between each set of trusses without cramming them in. That’s a max load of about 5kg between each truss.

That certainly won’t cause any problems.

I’ve seen some though, built full length timber shelves all the way along both sides inside the V, and they were loaded up with boxes of books and records, suitcases full of clothes etc etc.

Just don’t get carried away 😉

stevextc
    Free Member

Just don’t get carried away

I’m presuming the problem is weight pulling DOWN and the joints rather than the actually joist strength?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Saved myself the price of a new shed…’ is closed to new replies.